1987 2wd Comanche project questions

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this website and found it while looking for advice on fixing up my new(old) 1987 Comanche(if this isn't the right forum to put these questions on i'm sorry i didn't know :???: ), the previous owner hadn't run it in 6 years, and it spent the last 3 of those outside. it has minimal surface rust but the body was spray painted a vomity green, i plan on changing this in the future but at the moment its not important.

my first goal is to get it street legal, the brakes and tires are being changed and i would like to clean out the entire engine bay as well as change all the fluids if i have the time.

what i was wondering is if any of you guys think i should check anything else for possible safety hazards or any tips/tricks that could help when dealing with a Comanche, or any project car tips in general (This would be my first one and i'm very excited) also, how would you guys go about cleaning an oily and greasy engine bay/firewall without damaging any other components

p.s. the Comanche runs, but a little poorly, hopefully refilling fluids and cleaning/replacing hoses will fix it

any help or advice you could give would be great, Thanks a lot

I just picked up a 87 Comanche 4x4. It has a 4.0 with auto tranny. I found some rust around the floor pan area and am in the process of cleaning it up. I am trying to figure out if I should buy floor pans or just make my own as I have in the past. After the floor plans are finished I am going to move on to replacing/rebuilding the seats and center console/bezel. Keep us up to date.

p.s. the Comanche runs, but a little poorly, hopefully refilling fluids and cleaning/replacing hoses will fix it

any help or advice you could give would be great, Thanks a lot

Read through Cruiser's tips here: http://cruiser54.com/

You'll want to work you way through the first 8 or so as you have time, and some of the other ones...  Just cleaning up connections and grounds will probably help some things.

Flush your brakes and make sure the brake and clutch master aren't leaking, they will wreck stuff if they are.

Otherwise, update your signature to include a description of your truck, it will make it easier for other people to help you as you ask more questions in the future.

Welcome to the addiction

Tell us more about your jeep. Is it 4.0 inline 6, 2.8 v6, or 2.5 inline 4? Short bed or long bed?

Heads up check your floor pans..... they are prone to rusting out.

. :MJ 1: .

-Matt

I assumed it was a 4L, 87 shouldn't be a V6...  But it could be a 2.5L.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a 87 Comanche 4x4. It has a 4.0 with auto tranny. I found some rust around the floor pan area and am in the process of cleaning it up. I am trying to figure out if I should buy floor pans or just make my own as I have in the past. After the floor plans are finished I am going to move on to replacing/rebuilding the seats and center console/bezel. Keep us up to date.

Use fiberglas it forms easy to the floor board.