Oil pan bolts

One more tip while we're at it: We're used to everything being Metric on our trucks, and a lot of times you'll see people in writeups or otherwise (looking at you, Bleepin Jeep) tell you that they're 11mm and 13mm. That's wrong. They're 7/16" and 1/2".

Oh yeah, and that half circle shaped piece at the rear is really important.

Torque Specs:

7/16" bolts: 7 ft-lb

1/2" bolts: 11 ft-lb

Don't crank them down, ESPECIALLY the ones on the timing cover. The timing cover is aluminum and the threads can and will chowder out very easily. 7 ft-lbs isn't very much at all.

What's the rubber do? The metal strap does go outside the oil pan, right?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yes. The strap puts pressure on the rounded part of the gasket at the very rear. No idea what exactly the rubber does, but I've heard of a couple people who say it's fixed a slight RMS area leak. Possibly it squeezes the gasket a little bit more?  :dunno:

I'm guessing, but it looks like it goes between the bearing cap and the oil pan.  Then the strap goes outside of the pan.

But again, I'm just guessing.

I'm guessing, but it looks like it goes between the bearing cap and the oil pan.  Then the strap goes outside of the pan.

The gasket is sandwiched between the #7 main bearing cap and the oil pan(there's a little groove in the bearing cap for the gasket to sit in) and the ring goes on top of the oil pan after it's been installed using the very rearmost pair of bolts.

7.jpg

It's the brighter strip of metal by the tip of the arrow.

Yes. The strap puts pressure on the rounded part of the gasket at the very rear. No idea what exactly the rubber does, but I've heard of a couple people who say it's fixed a slight RMS area leak. Possibly it squeezes the gasket a little bit more?  :dunno:

The rubber is molded to the strap and it goes on the outside of the pan. You're probably correct Jeremy. It definitely slowed down the leak I had there. Barely have to wipe it anymore. But it still weeps about like the pic above........

I'm guessing, but it looks like it goes between the bearing cap and the oil pan. Then the strap goes outside of the pan.

The gasket is sandwiched between the #7 main bearing cap and the oil pan(there's a little groove in the bearing cap for the gasket to sit in) and the ring goes on top of the oil pan after it's been installed using the very rearmost pair of bolts.

7.jpg

I think you misunderstood. I meant the rubber on the metal strap. I just did my RMS and I have the strap but without the rubber on it.

Yes. The strap puts pressure on the rounded part of the gasket at the very rear. No idea what exactly the rubber does, but I've heard of a couple people who say it's fixed a slight RMS area leak. Possibly it squeezes the gasket a little bit more? :dunno:

The rubber is molded to the strap and it goes on the outside of the pan. You're probably correct Jeremy. It definitely slowed down the leak I had there. Barely have to wipe it anymore. But it still weeps about like the pic above........

Slowed down compared to no strap before? Or strap with no rubber?

I'm guessing, but it looks like it goes between the bearing cap and the oil pan. Then the strap goes outside of the pan.

7.jpg

I think you misunderstood. I meant the rubber on the metal strap. I just did my RMS and I have the strap but without the rubber on it.

I was replying to 87MJTIM in that post.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

7.jpg

I was replying to 87MJTIM in that post.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Yes. The strap puts pressure on the rounded part of the gasket at the very rear. No idea what exactly the rubber does, but I've heard of a couple people who say it's fixed a slight RMS area leak. Possibly it squeezes the gasket a little bit more? :dunno:

Slowed down compared to no strap before? Or strap with no rubber?

Slowed down compared to no strap before. Mine was MIA.

For the record, my truck absolutely poured oil out of the RMS area when I started it up after forgetting the strap. Not anywhere near a weep, more like a torrential downpour. Enough to immediately know something was very wrong. After putting on the rubber coated strap we've been discussing I get an occasional drip that may or may not actually be from the RMS area (it actually seems more like the drain plug on my junkyard '95 oil pan not making a perfect seal), although I'm sure I didn't do the gasket any favors by letting it leak that badly on first startup.

The rubber looks to be molded to the metal strap. Are you suggesting you cut it off and stuff it in between the pan and the oil pan gasket?

The original plain metal support did not apply enough pressure to the pan gasket because it stretched and rusted over time, so a bonded rubber cushion was added to the strap apply a more uniform gasket sealing pressure to the pan curved gasket, and to last longer.

That's my take on it anyhow. This new design works much better. The AMC engineers never thought of it I guess. It took the more talented Mopar engineers to make it right. Just like they did in 91 when the HO models were introduced to replace the Renix junk.    :yes: 

The original plain metal support did not apply enough pressure to the pan gasket because it stretched and rusted over time, so a bonded rubber cushion was added to the strap apply a more uniform gasket sealing pressure to the pan curved gasket, and to last longer.

That's my take on it anyhow. This new design works much better. The AMC engineers never thought of it I guess. It took the more talented Mopar engineers to make it right. Just like they did in 91 when the HO models were introduced to replace the Renix junk. :yes:

I'll buy it for $1!