Using a 2001 key in a 92 Column

I don't think the keys and lock cylinders are cross-compatible.  I rekeyed and installed a new ignition lock cylinder in the tilt column I picked up for Georgia.  The Strattec historical archives are a great resource and can definitively answer the question:

http://aftermarket.strattec.com/doc.php?q=Historical%20Catalogs

I installed a 702419 lock cylinder:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/37173-georgia-92-40-ho-ax-15-2wd/page-7

Just an FYI, all Jeep keys since the change to the Chrysler format, use the same basic blank. I believe there was a change to a 7 pin lock in 97, the doors would likely be the easiest to have recoded. The housings are slightly different than the 92's but the pins/tumbler body are still basicly same.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Similar question, 

The MJ that I recently bought didn't come with a door key (88 had a separate ignition/door). Upon further review, the single sided ignition is so worn, you can turn the ignition over without the key. I want to replace all 3 cylinder locks with the same key. 

Will a 91-96 key cylinder fit in the same steering column? (I am guessing they will fit on the same doors).

Lock cylinder should be able to be replaced. Or a 91-93 column swap will also work to get the later key style if you prefer.

The doors are another matter. The early key cylinders have a slightly larger opening, so the later bodies will fit but will leave a gap.

I have a spare IGN lock cylinder and two door cylinders if you want to pay shipping for them. I swapped columns and doors to go to one key on my 88.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

FYI the ignition lock cylinders are slightly different (and I believe incompatible) between the single-sided Renix (GM) keys and the Chrysler keys.  The GM lock cylinders are held in with an odd Torx screw while the Chrysler ignition lock cylinders have a spring loaded tang for retention in the column.