new toy :)

Wiggilez

Ok I'll be "that guy"......what is it? An EKG monitor?

It's an osiloscope (not spelt right) it's used in electronics to look at wave forms, frequency and such. This one is an older one so i picked it up cheap on the web.

There's a tech school out of the states selling em for cheap.They might have a few left. I need to get some leads for it to be useful but I'm looking forward to using to see the difference between this and the digital ones I've been using in school.

There's a tech school out of the states selling em for cheap.They might have a few left. I need to get some leads for it to be useful but I'm looking forward to using to see the difference between this and the digital ones I've been using in school.

Does this school have a name?  I'm all for buying random junk because I can. :rotf:

Does this school have a name?  I'm all for buying random junk because I can. :rotf:

I'm pretty sure this was the one I bought from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Instek-GOS-653G-50MHz-Oscilloscope-/302043458928?hash=item4653316d70:g:u3QAAOSw65FXsLxp

I know "read waveforms" but what does it do? or can be done with it in english, does it have any applicability to an MJ?

It's handy for advanced troubleshooting providing you know what to do with it.  IE, with an alternator you could diagnose if it has a bad diode, or if there is damage to the windings, simply based on how the ripple DC output looks.  Or you can see if a crank, cam, speed, etc sensor is produce a good output, providing you have a known comparison.  Or you could look at injector firing in regards to timing and duration.  Older vehicles they tend to be less useful on, but on a newer stuff somebody who knows what they're doing with it can solve many problems that would make others (including high end shops and dealers) give up.

Something as simple as an alternator with ugly output can actually cause all sorts of phantom issues, everything from misfires to CELs without a code, on a newer vehicle.  A Renix is naturally pretty much hardened against this, along with an OBD-I HO setup, so the applicability in that regards to a MJ is minimal.

Also, you can see other electrical noise and potentially narrow it down and eliminate it.  Bad shielding and suspect grounds can cause all sorts of mysteries on unrelated circuits.  In the analog world it is something that audiophiles tend to understand, but in the modern digital world it could affect almost any system.

Like I said, I'd love to have one around to play with, there is a lot of times when things happen that 'don't make sense' where some time with a silly-scope could probably shed some light.