Dana 44 Trac Lock questions

Getting everything together to get the Dana 44 under the 92 and ran into some questions. 

How do I tell if the clutches for the limited slip needs replaced? I haven't opened it up yet, so I don't know if there is any clutch material in the oil or not. I'm assuming this is the best way of knowing. My father-in-law has rebuilt a few limited slips for vettes, and he says that he uses a torque wrench on the axle shaft nut, with 1 tire in the air, and if the clutch slips at over 90ft lbs it is good (road racing applications). We do not have a way of measuring this correct? If we can measure this, at what ft lb torque should it slip at? The clutch kit is only ~$80 without spiders, but I just don't want to take the time and money to do it if it's not needed. 

Maybe I should just rebuild it for peace of mind and and chalk it up as a learning experience, but I though I would ask you guys first. Thanks!

If you don't want to do the clutch pack unless absolutely necessary, find some way to clamp the right wheel and the axle body so they can't turn. Find the socket that fits the nut on the end of the axle on the left side. Put a torque wrench on it and see how much torque it takes to turn the hub on the left side (if it turns, you've overcome the clutches).

My recollection is that 25 foot-pounds or better is in-spec.

If you don't want to do the clutch pack unless absolutely necessary, find some way to clamp the right wheel and the axle body so they can't turn. Find the socket that fits the nut on the end of the axle on the left side. Put a torque wrench on it and see how much torque it takes to turn the hub on the left side (if it turns, you've overcome the clutches).

I may be wrong, but both the Dana 35 and Dana 44 use one piece axle shafts I believe.  No nut on the end of the axle, I don't think.  Maybe you could use a lug nut?  Not being centered, it would not be an accurate reading, unless that's the way the manual says to check it.

INjake89mj, Also, this may not be a popular answer, but if you plan to do a lot of off roading, there are better choices for performance diffs and even though it's more money, if you have the axle apart maybe now is the time to do it.  I'm guessing you are not planning for a lot of off road and budget is dictating use what you got.

This is what I was after. Thank you, I didn't know what the in-spec breaking point would be. 

I may be wrong, but both the Dana 35 and Dana 44 use one piece axle shafts I believe.  No nut on the end of the axle, I don't think.  Maybe you could use a lug nut?  Not being centered, it would not be an accurate reading, unless that's the way the manual says to check it.

INjake89mj, Also, this may not be a popular answer, but if you plan to do a lot of off roading, there are better choices for performance diffs and even though it's more money, if you have the axle apart maybe now is the time to do it.  I'm guessing you are not planning for a lot of off road and budget is dictating use what you got.

You are correct they do not have a nut on the end of the axle, this is what makes it so hard to test. I would assume that the FSM would have a testing procedure? Maybe not. 

My "offroading" is going into the woods to get firewood, or trying to get to work when the snow is too deep. This truck is far from a wheeling rig, just a farm truck. 

I will more than likely just put the axle in the truck and see how it acts, if necessary I will pull the diff later, I just wanted to bench test all I could while I had this thing on the stand. 

thanks for the responses.

Right you are -- I keep forgetting that my '88 XJ is an AMC but it's not a Rambler. I believe the dealerships had a tool that bolted to three of the lug nuts with a nut in the center -- centered on the axle -- to attach the torque wrench for this test. Yes, you could do it with a lug nut, but you would have to allow for the offset.