So, it's been a while since i've posted here. Mostly because I have had no time to work on the truck. Full time student while also working a full time job. Since today was labor day I had some time to mess around with it. I hook up a good battery to it, get in, turn the key over, and... just a loud click from the starter. So I know I have an electrical problem somewhere. I know the motor is not seized up. The truck has new plugs, wires, distibuter, and cap, so I'm going to assume the problem is not in those components. Battery is reading at ~12.55 so I think its OK. Battery cables are old, and need to be replaced, but I don't believe them to be the issue right now. Which leads me to thinking the problem is the starter. So naturally, I tap it with a hammer a few times, try again, and nothing. Just the click. Then, I connect a jumper cable from the positive terminal, to the starter, and again, just a click. It did not spin. I may very well be wrong, but I believe this means the starter is bad. Am i correct in my assumption? Did I overlook something? The truck is an 86 2.5l auto 4x4. 

On a somewhat related note, I now have a 95 dakota sitting in my yard with a bad motor. Does anyone have any clue if the starter from it will work on the comanche? Or any other parts from it that may be a fairly simple swap over? 

Sounds like it to me.  Most auto places test for free as well

Yep, they do. That's how they sell their new/rebuilt starters to fish even if they don't need them.  :yes:

Thats how they got me on an alternator- new guy hooked it up.  Throws sparks all over.  Then he says "Oops, I had it hooked up wrong.  Yeah, its bad.".  Bastards.  Manager told me tough crap.

I'll bet this starter is soaked in engine oil from a leak up above.

Until this happened to me I had no idea it was such a common problem. Mine got gradually more sluggish until it would barely turn the engine. I thought for sure my at the time brand new battery was a dud. But if it just suddenly quit working and gets really hot when jumped my bet would be on a zonkered motor.

I just take them apart and soak overnight in a bucket of mineral spirits. Use a paint brush to clean all the cracks and crevices, then blow dry. Reassemble using new brushes if they are shot. Grease the bearings and clean the commutator with fine Emery paper until it shines to ensure good brush contact. After all that it'll turn your engine at about 2000 RPM when starting.   :yes:

So today I'm working on the truck again. I was removing the starter, and its STUCK. I removed the bolts, and wires holding it, and it still won't come out. I tried prying it off with a flathead screwdriver, and hitting it with a hammer and a block of wood, and it won't budge. It obviously has been on there since it rolled off the factory line in 86. Anyone have any tips for getting it off? I have it soaking in some liquid wrench right now.