24, 26, 28mm front anti sway bars

My Comanche had a 24mm anti-sway bar from the factory.  I replaced it with a 26mm, thinking it was a 28mm before I got a caliper to carry with when parts hunting.  Found a actual 28mm bar recently so thought I would post some pics.

That last pic shows two different style bushing mounting brackets.  I prefer the one that traps the edges of the bushing.

You'll like the 28mm bar. I found it really cuts down on the body roll. My 89 still has the tiny 24mm bar, so the first time I made a hard turn in it it was quite a surprise. :D

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

You don't need to carry a caliper to the bone yard. Do you have a set of open-end wrenches? If a 1" wrench will fit over it, it's a 24mm. If you have a 1-1/16" wrench, that will fit over a 26mm but not a 28mm. And a 1-1/8" wrench will fit over a 28mm.

Is the 28mm bar and brackets from a Grand Cherokee?

I have the same question as this. I was contemplating an Addco front bar, but they are only 28mm as well, and if I can get one at the junkyard for $20 vs $170 for the addco, I would sure love to know the source.

You don't need to carry a caliper to the bone yard. Do you have a set of open-end wrenches? If a 1" wrench will fit over it, it's a 24mm. If you have a 1-1/16" wrench, that will fit over a 26mm but not a 28mm. And a 1-1/8" wrench will fit over a 28mm.

I thought of that, but I generally don't carry wrenches that big in my toolpak (tool backpack khttp://www.toolpak.com/html/PACKStoolpakoriginal.html).  I made a simple cardboard template and took it for a while, which is what got me the 26 instead of the 28.  The calipers were cheap at Harbor Freight, and now that I carry them, I've used them for other things.  The tools I carry have been fine tuned over about 10 years... hm that might be another thread.

Is there a write up for swapping one in? How much work is involved in it? It would literally complete my front end rebuild/upgrade if I were to get a 28mm

Bolts right on. 

Yep.  And since I just had it all apart about 6 months ago, it was a 30 minute job, not counting cleaning up and painting the bar and brackets.  Would take considerably longer if you have the factory front skid plate.

Is there a write up for swapping one in? How much work is involved in it? It would literally complete my front end rebuild/upgrade if I were to get a 28mm

Bolts right on.
perfect! More things to spend money on! I've only spent about 400$ on the front end rebuild... so another 50$ won't hurt, right? :D

A guy was just here with a 98 XJ and his brackets look like the ones in the photo. Enclosed type. 

Best I can remember, the thinner type brackets are the originals from my 91 MJ.  I doubt they had different brackets for the same year, even for the different diameter bars, but I guess it's possible.  Maybe it was swapped earlier in it's life?  Or the bushings/brackets had been replaced at some point.  FWIW the 28mm bar looked original to the 91 XJ Limited at the Pic-a-part.

Just looked at my 91 XJ, it has the enclosed type, and I'd bet their original.