Comanche

I was wondering if a 95 Cherokee auto trans will work in a 87 Comanche with a manual trans, and is 200$ a good price for trans, transfer-case, shifter, let me know if I need any thing else.

I was wondering if a 95 Cherokee auto trans will work in a 87 Comanche with a manual trans, and is 200$ a good price for trans, transfer-case, shifter, let me know if I need any thing else.

its computer-controlled so the whole wiring harness would be necessary, but it would have to be for a renix era 4.0 auto. the tranny will work, but all the electronics need to be the same year truck (or around there), and you need the flexplate and torque converter as well.

so, buy a parts cherokee with what you want, and swap it in.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to get that when I get the cash.

I don't want to rain on BrettM's parade, because I think he has a GREAT product...but I made my own for under $20. Its not as clean, and a little more confusing to operate, but it works the same.

And a guy named Frank (from the Strokers e-group) made his using a single 6-position rotary switch and a couple of connectors. Clik-clik-clik-clik up through the gears, and one more click to lock the torque converter.

If I were doing it, I'd use a separate toggle for the torque converter. That way you can flip it off before you come down through the gears at traffic lights and such, as well as lock the converter in lower gears for engine braking on hill descents.

I'm going to get that when I get the cash.

I don't want to rain on BrettM's parade, because I think he has a GREAT product...but I made my own for under $20. Its not as clean, and a little more confusing to operate, but it works the same.

You got PM

"Clik-clik-clik-clik up through the gears, and one more click to lock the torque converter."

Oh, that must be fun. then its click-click-click-click down again at every stop?

With some more work, it seems you could build a floor shift with optical switches to act like a 4 speed manual. A relatively simple circuit to shift the tranny, in 4th, the circuit also locks the converter. Take a signal from the throttle position sensor to unlock the converter when you get off the gas.

Should I go into business?

Here's a picture of the setup on my YJ with AW4. The waterproof switch on the shifter is an ATV winch control, and then the dash lights display gear position. Shifter is a Lokar that I modified to work with the AW4 Works so nice I never put it in full auto mode.

P4190004.JPG