Any idea what this is?

Thank you "MJ Junkie",

That's what was causing all the rattling I have been hearing when I close the door, LOL :)  No telling how long it has been broken, need to get this fixed as well.

Thank you for the links also, pinpointed it :)

Papa Mel, Happy Trails everyone :)

• 5 weeks later...

I've seen this many times, it is very common and is a fault of the mj/xj design, or the strength of the metal as a whole/inadequate bracing/support.

My 88 mj, 90 xj, 95 xj, and 88 xj all have this problem on the driver's side door as well as the passenger side. Two of them had the door check completely ripped through the door metal - nut still attached -  (similar to yours judging by your picture) and the metal on the door where it bolts up to was mangled so a new one would not bolt up. I removed them to solve the rattling like you had, and I'm just careful when opening the door so it doesn't swing open too far which would put stress the door hinges directly (which the door check is meant to prevent). The other two xj's have the door check hanging on by one bolt, but don't work properly: not ratcheting and can't hold the weight of the door, so it swings free (but stops from stressing hinge fortunately).

I guess a solution would be to fab a plate of some sort (or maybe even a wide washer might work) to reinforce that area where the check mounts up to so you could properly mount up a new one. At this point, I have just removed mine, and now the door operates smoothly, with no rattling when driving/closing, but it does not hold it's position - so it's like a yj/tj door... Let me know if you find a solution and can mount up a new one that will hold for years to come.

Thanks for the info...I was wondering what was growling down there when I used the door.  Tried lubing the slider to no avail.  Going to have to get inside the door and lube the spring before it explodes.

Just curious since I've never heard these called this before, but I'm taking this is what stops the door from opening too far? If so, since these tend to break, could a "solution" be to add something like the Wranglers had/have? Just a strap that hooks from body to door that prevents it from swinging open? Of course the door still wouldn't hold it's position, but that's not something I'd be worried about. Just wouldn't want it to swing too wide.