My 88 SWB

I still haven't figured out Imgur's resizing thing between using my phone to upload and running noscript in my proprietary browser. The forum should be set to automagically limit the image size, but that's a display preference and I'm guessing it loads the full thing then dithers it.

If Photobucket would actually still work I wouldn't have this problem. But it doesn't. :rant:

About the mirrors, what was on there was already a transplant (I think they were stolen from a FSJ :nuts:). I couldn't find any cheap generic that would work well, and even took some random crap home from the junkyard and looked through the shed. I was left torn between ordering the 97+ mirrors, Toyota mirrors (my soul would burn in hell), these, or tracking down a set of first generation Racemirrors and building brackets for them (to bolt in the stock location). Functionally the 97+ mirrors are better than the early ones, but they're still just a little small for my liking.

I would have loved to get a set of the Racemirrors, but the current generation would not work as well IMHO, leaving you to track down used and rare mirrors. That said, I may still barter for a set and try them sometime. They are still the wrong shape to look 'right' on the XJ/MJ though, IMHO.

If I peeled the bondo off the doors I bet we could find more holes. :rotf:

Or you might find the original mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dislike them.  If they were maybe 50% bigger they would be liveable.  If I swap to the later style doors I will probably use the later style mirrors.

I thought they look OK, I was actually thinking of running a set on the fender of my XJ ... solves a problem when I start my half doors. That, and even though the 2000 XJ mirrors are pretty durable ... I near killed my driverside once or twice now.

As for the MJ, I like my old 80's factory towing mirrors ... so much so, I drilled and braced the swapped in XJ doors on her now. That was a bit of a pain, but still my favourite ... And still the lowest profile mirror option (when folded) I have yet to see.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I don't know if you could bolt them to the fender and still have a decent viewing angle out of them. :dunno:   If anything they should be mounted back a little farther, but I choose to pick up on two existing holes rather than drilling all new holes.

I looked for some generics like the OEM tow mirrors but didn't find anything that wasn't junk.  Grote probably makes something like them but I forgot to check their catalog.

All in all I'm happy enough with them for now.  They might look a slight bit more natural if I made shims so they bolt on a bit straighter, since the YJ/TJ doors are flat and straight up and down, while the MJ door is angled in a bit where  I put them.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I was going to go for a long drive in the woods today.  Unfortunately it got cut rather short.  80km in or so, the clutch slave blew up.  Full on waterfall of brake fluid coming out of the bellhousing and no pedal at all.

Then one of the rear shocks broke the eye off coming out.  Which isn't terribly surprising because they were the absolute cheapest Monroe shocks that you could buy and they've seen a lot of washboard.

So now to decide if I'm going to throw another internal slave in the clutch, or convert it.  One of my YJ friends went through 4 or 5 internal slaves before he gave up and converted, I assumed he was the issue, but there was no reason for mine to fail that soon.  At the very least I won't buy anther Luk internal slave.

I was going to go for a long drive in the woods today.  Unfortunately it got cut rather short.  80km in or so, the clutch slave blew up.  Full on waterfall of brake fluid coming out of the bellhousing and no pedal at all.

Then one of the rear shocks broke the eye off coming out.  Which isn't terribly surprising because they were the absolute cheapest Monroe shocks that you could buy and they've seen a lot of washboard.

So now to decide if I'm going to throw another internal slave in the clutch, or convert it.  One of my YJ friends went through 4 or 5 internal slaves before he gave up and converted, I assumed he was the issue, but there was no reason for mine to fail that soon.  At the very least I won't buy anther Luk internal slave.

I would find Castrol GTLMA brake fluid for the integral slaves. I'm not 100% sure why but even the dealer would forego Mopar fluid for the Castrol and mine had zero leaks until the hose started leaking and I couldn't find any GTLMA to replace it with. (On my way to Ouray, CO to go wheeling 15 years ago)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I haven't updated this at all in a while because I'm really not working on it.  However I will report the new clutch slave has thus far been flawless (metal Bendix one).  I also picked up a 2wd external slave tranny for converting my spare AX-15.  The driver's door piled up completely so I'm going to bring it in, weld the hinges, put new hinge pins in, change out the striker, weld up the cracks around it, and try to get the lock linkage working correctly again.  This requires parts I don't have, so I'm going to park it for a bit until I can junkyard some of that stuff up.

I did throw together a trail spares kit for it a while back, and made a terrible youtube video about it.

I'm open to feedback on the video, although I made it really just to see if I could handle the editing process.  Typically these types of 'show and tell' videos are terribly boring, and I think this one is too.  I need to work on my speaking (and actually have a script) and use a real microphone for this type of video.  Anyways, if there's some other crime of motion picture that I have committed, let me know.