Fuse panel help

Well my brake lights wouldn't work so I start pulling fuses. Tested my brake light switch and no power. Found the previous owner had a jumper wire from the brake light switch, to the fuse block, and it was out, plugged it back in the fuse block and it fixed it. Also my whispers were not working, so I went ahead and Tryed figuring that out too, it turned out that square fuse at the bottom of the fuse block was rusty, and falling off, but I touched it and they worked, so I knew that was the issue. When I went to pull it out to clean the fuse, it broke, leaving the fuse tabs in the fuse block. Whatever I don't need whipers at the moment. Then I take off to the gym, and the trucks running rough. Spitting and spuddering, and the lights are real dim. Cut the truck off and it wouldn't start back, acting as if the battery was dead.Apparently I twisted that yellow round fuse at the top, troubleshooting the brake lights. Well I twisted it some more and the lights came back bright, dash lights are good. No more spit firing, slightly but not much.

Question is - what all does that square fuse power at the bottom that does the whipers?

Question #2- what all does the round fuses do? And is there a way to adjust them? How do they pull out. There is a lower round fuse and an upper one. The upper is the altinator I assume?

Here's a pic, rough pic it was dark. I'll get a better after while

Jesus............

Look at the diagram. The "round thing" is not a fuse, it's the flasher relay for the signals.

All the fuse blocks were the same but they were configured and populated depending on the vehicle's installed electrical equipment and options.

What's the "hazard flasher" why would this have caused my lights to go dim, and make the truck not crank as if the battery was dead

Hazards are your four way flashers. It will make the front and rear lights flash at the same time.

Well that had nothing to do with my truck acting up, And the lights dimming. And it spuddering then... What in the world did I do to fix it I wonder? I rotated the hazard flasher fuse "round one" pulled every other fuse, and put back in... And she started running right again. I'm just trying to figure out what I did or why it did it. What fuse would be associated with the altinator or have to do with headlights, dash lights dimming. And it acting as if the battery was dead

You may want to take the fuse panel itself out and see if you have some wiring/brake fluid issues. IIRC some MJ's had an issue with the brake booster leaking onto the panel. In any case, at least it's narrowed (relatively) to the fuse panel, although I don't think its directly related to the hazard relay. Pay particular attention to fuse 3 in the diagram that hornbrod provided as that's the most closely related with your issues, it seems. Someone with more electrical experience may chime in as to why the relay is causing some symptoms to go away.

Haha very true she's old. And yes my master cylinder has leaked brake fluid down my clutch pedal onto the fuse box, and the fuse box is not very pretty. And I don't like that at all. I need to address that leak issue, or some how keep that fluid off the fuse panel. It's rusted my brake light switch on the brake pedal, I'm surprised it even works. And I have vinal flooring, I have never pulled up, but I hope there is no rust under there, the truck is very solid. No rust anywhere. But I may do some exploring, yet it scares me to mess with it since she's acting right

Ask anyone here, we know the feeling of walking the tightrope. Look into some fuse panel, maybe post on the forums, to see if you can't find a used one in good condition and replace it when you can. When it comes to power issues, I would say that is most likely your problem. And even in the off chance that it isn't, it is a necessary replacement that will save you a headache in the future. As for the flooring; rule #1 with these trucks is check the floors. It is the most reputable place to rot(aside from maybe the rockers and cab corners). Fortunately, with floor pans and a decent welder, it shouldn't present much issue to fix.

Well that had nothing to do with my truck acting up, And the lights dimming. And it spuddering then... What in the world did I do to fix it I wonder? I rotated the hazard flasher fuse "round one" pulled every other fuse, and put back in... And she started running right again. I'm just trying to figure out what I did or why it did it. What fuse would be associated with the altinator or have to do with headlights, dash lights dimming. And it acting as if the battery was dead

It had everything to do with your truck acting up. You don't rotate the hazard flasher to change it, you pull it straight out. You made a huge short by rotating it by crumbling what little was left of the rotten brass contacts. This could have burned up the wiring instead of just lowering the battery voltage. It's not fixed - you need to replace the fuse block after repairing the clutch cylinder leak.

What hornbrod said. That brake fluid weakens the plastic and brass and makes it flake away under even the slightest pressure. And yes, my mistake on the order of events. Leak comes first, otherwise you'll ruin another good fuse panel. I was too focused on the power issue at hand.

• 5 years later...

So, I found a blown fuse which gave me my tail lights back. Now, all my

lights work but I had to pull the fuse on my dome lights because my

driver side light wouldn't go out no matter what position I had the 

actual light in. My passenger side won't come on.

8 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Those lights are likely bad. You can't hardly remove them without them turning to dust. There are better replacements that can be equipped with LED bulbs. Huge difference.

Also, check your door pillar switches. After 33 years, they're probably not in very good shape.