Opinions on motor options

I'm getting some blowby, and I was thinking I might like a newer motor in my MJ. What do you think are my best options to freshen her up a bit? Here they are as I see them:

1. New 4.0 from one of the "performance" engine sellers, like Golen or Hesco. I don't know if they sell them setup for Renix or not.

2. New 4.0 from the dealer

3. Get a shop to rebuild existing motor - anybody know one?

4. Try to find a low miles junkyard motor - anyone know one? I don't want to spend a lot of $$ and effort putting a higher mileage motor in.

5. New motor from one of the more discounted motor places, like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0145636648

6. Other options??

My problem then becomes getting said motor installed. Does anybody know a shop that would do it reasonably in New England? Or maybe someone that wants to make a few bucks on the side?

I would just look for a good used on on here or at the local JY. I just got a HO from wildman with only 72,00 and it looks like new under the covers. If you were close to Ohio I could handle the swap for you :cheers:

Charles

Gee.....Thanks for the plug Charles :D

I would 2nd the used motor idea, much less $$ way of up grading, that way you don't have a thousand dollar MJ with a 3 thousand engine in it :eek:

There are alot of good use motor to be had for the price, even if you find a rotted out XJ, or totalled one, there's the engine. I would just look for something with less that 125K on the clock.

I was thinking the same thing about rejeep, I do think he is in your area, you should contact him, if he is pulling engines, I'm sure he can put one back in :D

I would say if your MJ is in Show room condition, then spent the $$ and get a high preformance engine, spend some serious money, and keep it that way. If your MJ is like the rest of ours, then just up grade to a good used engine, and you'll get many more years of life out of it.

I don't think an engine swap would run much more that $350 plus additional parts, but what you want to do is change all of the gaskets, and check all of the freez plugs before you install it into the MJ.

If you go with a junk/parts XJ, then you can change over some additional goodies like the alternator, or a newer water pump......so on. You would want to do all of the preventative matenance items while you have the engine out, slide it in, and go :driving:

The big advance on getting a doner XJ is that you can pick one up for a couple hundred ($200-500) take out the engine, some other parts, strip it down for what ever, and then when your done, have the scrap man pick it up and get another $100 for the scrap. Some JY's sell you just the engine for $450-$600, and that's all you get , the engine.

Note: No MJ's were harmed in the above statements

Good luck!!

Thanks for the input. After thinking about it, I think a parts XJ might be the way to go if I can find someone to do the swap for me.

I have a 95 HO sitting in my garage, but from what I've read, that would be a bigger effort than swapping in another Renix motor.

I have a 95 HO sitting in my garage, but from what I've read, that would be a bigger effort than swapping in another Renix motor.

Doing that right now :nuts: Just when you think you have everything you find something else you need :headpop:

Charles

Doing that right now :nuts: Just when you think you have everything you find something else you need :headpop:

Charles

Well, lucky me then...

98 4.0L, got the tranny, got the wiring, dash, everything. I'll be tossing in new engine/tranny mounts, and swapping to all synthetic fluids, and new filters, hoses, and thats about it.

Thanks for the input. After thinking about it, I think a parts XJ might be the way to go if I can find someone to do the swap for me.

get Ho bottomend, take renix head to machine shop.

Drop the $200 it's gonna cost at the machine shop for them to grind it flat, put new valve guides and such in.

Put rebuilt renix head on good bottom end, voila, cheap and easy rebuild.

all your renix stuff will work if you use the renix head and manifolds.

get Ho bottomend, take renix head to machine shop.

Drop the $200 it's gonna cost at the machine shop for them to grind it flat, put new valve guides and such in.

Put rebuilt renix head on good bottom end, voila, cheap and easy rebuild.

all your renix stuff will work if you use the renix head and manifolds.

Just no knock sensor, unless you drill and tap a shiny new hole for it.

Well, lucky me then...

98 4.0L, got the tranny, got the wiring, dash, everything. I'll be tossing in new engine/tranny mounts, and swapping to all synthetic fluids, and new filters, hoses, and thats about it.

If you are putting it in a 91+ you will be ok, If something older then a 91 bet you have missed something :teehee:

Charles

just have to keep the renix exhaust manifold.
May I ask why?

If you keep the renix intake it need the EGR tube hooked to the manifold inorder for it to work right. I suppose you could put a plug in it, but when I did the swap I just re-used the renix style exhaust manifold

What have I missed that will need to be swapped out?

I even have the brackets that bolt the engine mounts to the "frame" rails. the 98 stuff is going into an 88 MJ, But I don't really see much difference between the firewalls, or anything that needs to get mounted. The only things from the comanche being re-used is the unibody itself, the glass, a few trim pieces, and the doors for now...

I did not miss a single bracket, nut bolt or washer or anything from the XJ when I took it apart.

Well, lucky me then...

If you are putting it in a 91+ you will be ok, If something older then a 91 bet you have missed something :teehee:

Charles

Now, Charles, why would you say something like that :???:

Rocky......you better have saved Every Thing, even the door post switches, and every wire, and don't call me, Charles has cleaned me out :D

Well, if nothing else, the 88 sending unit will have your fuel gauge reading full when it's empty and empty when it's full. :D They reversed polarity of the dang things in 91.
Using the 98 tank in the spare tire location of the XJ. The fuel neck will come out by the driver rear of the bed, instead of the driver front. No single piece of 88 wiring, sensors, or anything will be left when I'm done.

Charles

Now, Charles, why would you say something like that :???:

Rocky......you better have saved Every Thing, even the door post switches, and every wire, and don't call me, Charles has cleaned me out :D

Didnt miss a single thing!

Got the damn hood support, latches, even the tcase shifter crap for the body mount side of it. Even the heat shield for the exhaust. There was not a single thing left on that MJ, just check this picture out:

-8.jpeg

(tilt your head 90* )

And it wasnt even done being stripped yet!!!

Well, under that grey tarp is the 92 yj I just scrapped for my sister's project. She wants to build a full out toy, so We got a good frame and tub for a YJ, and took the good off that one.

The tires...

I knew someone would ask...

Hmm....

Umm...

OK!

The several (maybe 3-5???) year plan is to do a PSC Bruiser Chassis, with a Jeep 4.7L Engine under the hood, backed by a 545RE tranny, and followed by a Advance Adaptors Atlas 4spd with the 10:1 low range option. Axles will be a set of front and rear steer rockwells. The engine will be seeing some nice changes, including a port and polish, a little head shaving, and intake and exhaust will be as custom as I can get them.

Oh, and the specs on those tires are 395/85R20 or 46/15.5R20

:offtopic:

So.....Rockhard, your original plan to use them 46" tires on the MJ project is not going to happen now????

I seem to remember your posts on the local board that was your plan??

I think your idea of using a XJ fuel tank in the space of the spair tire need alittle more thought there, also, that is one of the large problem with the XJ on departure angles. I'm sure other's will chime in on this subject.

There was not a single thing left on that MJ, just check this picture out:

:???: What did you strip down?? it looks like a half of Xj in the background there???

Also, I believe this topic was started by the OP as "options on engine replacement"

:offtopic:

So.....Rockhard, your original plan to use them 46" tires on the MJ project is not going to happen now????

I seem to remember your posts on the local board that was your plan??

I think your idea of using a XJ fuel tank in the space of the spair tire need alittle more thought there, also, that is one of the large problem with the XJ on departure angles. I'm sure other's will chime in on this subject.

There was not a single thing left on that MJ, just check this picture out:

:???: What did you strip down?? it looks like a half of Xj in the background there???

Also, I believe this topic was started by the OP as "options on engine replacement"

ATTN: Mods

Please split this topic It is definately a little off topic now...

Wildman, I decided 46's on a MJ would require too much "trimming" to remotely resemble a MJ. That plan was over with before I even got the tires.

That XJ wasnt finished of being strippied in that picture. I already had all the interior, mechanical, and everything else out of it. I even cut the door jams off, as well as rear quarters and more!