$125 MJ - Project 99 Cheromanche

Hi everyone. It's good to own a MJ again. I saved it from the crusher about a month ago. A friend of a friend was going to take it across the scales, so I offered some money and he took it. My wife couldn't believe her eyes when I pulled up with it on the trailer. It's named the POS around the house thanks to her. :D She loves my YJ but hates the MJ. I think she'll change her mind once it starts to show some progress. Anyways let's talk about the truck.

It's an 88 SB with the 4.0, Peguot(no reverse), 4x4 12x,xxx miles.

When i bought it the front axle shafts were busted and I could see just about all the internals of the t-case by peeking under the truck. It also had a real rough idle and a bad exhaust leak.

I swapped in a Junkyard D30 with factory 4.10s, a spare np231 that I had laying around, a new EGR valve and exhaust gasket. Now it runs great but it's still not ready for the road/trails.

I need to swap trannys. I'm looking for and ax-15 to replace my Peguot.

I need to repair the rusty floorboards. (Halfway done) :cheers:

I need to fix the getto rigged spring over that the PO did. He bolted in a xj 8.25 without welding on new perches. But thats not the worst part. For the front lift, he welded 2 coil spring together :eek: But don't worry I did away with the front when i swapped the front-end. It's sitting stock in the front with SOA in the back. It's quite a sight to see. POS is a real deserving name right now. I'll try to post some pics later.

Ben

I've got a question for anyone who has repaird their floors. Notice how I have cut off most of the metal that caps off the frame rails? Should i weld some thicker steel on top of them or will sheet metal work? I know that xj's don't have that cap on them so does the mj need it?

Thanks guys

Ben

Yeah, looking at the fender hacks, looks like he was running some meats.

I've always wondered what a rig felt like with 2 sets of coils welded together, but I've never had the nerve to try it.

He had 35" TSL's but when he sold it to me, it came with 4 donuts. Plenty of flexing room. :D

you don't necessarily need it, but if you do away with it you will have to make a set of risers for the left side seat brackets, or they won't sit level.

If they are not necessary for frame strength then I'll just lay the sheet metal over them. I'm sure it will be easier to build risers than new fram caps. Thanks

ben

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, It's been awhile since i updated this thread. I've been occupied with another project. I'm up to 4 jeeps now. :D

I just picked up a 2 door 90 XJ 4.0/aw4/242 for $200. The XJ need a new engine, so i swapped it with the MJ's running 4.0. So now the XJ is just about driveable.

Here comes the good news. Once the 90XJ is driving i'll be retiring my 99 XJ and making a 99MJ out of the 2 jeeps. jamminz.gif

I'm retireing the 99XJ due to frame damage it has received from a past wreck. I'll be swapping in just about everything i can from the xj.

I'll post some pics of the 90 and 99xj's soon.

Ben

• 3 months later...

Hey guys it's time for and update. I'm now driving the White XJ. I have also stripped all of the interior out of my 99XJ and have stripped down the MJ to the frame/cab.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I have also cut out all of the rust on the MJ's floor, then coated it with a rust converter and primer. Now it sits waiting for a floor. I havn't decided it i want to build a new floor out of sheetmetal from my work(HVAC shop) or cut and weld the floor out of the 99XJ. What would you guys suggest? Here's a few pics of what i'll be tackling in the next few weeks. After the floors i'll start with the drivetrain transplant. jamminz.gif

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

you'd be better off making your own IMO. cutting the one outta the xj won't be so bad, but you'll have to make adjustments to it as the incline in an MJ floor is different.

project's comin along, keep it up! (and why not swap the doors and hood off the 99xj onto the mj?)

• 2 weeks later...

Maaaaaan that thing was knocking on deaths door, I admire your determination, replacing floors is common among Mustang enthusiasts, nice to see someone saving an MJ though.

I've got some un-asked for advice as an amateur body guy and sheet metal fabricator I would square those patch holes so to the biggest size and most simple shape you can before you start cutting patch panels. It's going to make cutting the patches a bazillion times easier and fitting will go much faster.

They aren't going to make any more MJ's and they aren't too common to begin with so :cheers:

• 5 months later...

Well I got off of my lazy butt an took some more pics as it sits.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

It now moves under it's own power, but is still along way from being street legal. My biggest problem will be trying to figure out what to do with this gas tank.

Image Not Found

Once the tank is finish I'll be on the downhill slope. All that's left is little odds and ends like welding up seat brakets so i can finish the interior, installing a rear sliding window, e'brake cables, an a few other things.

hey man could you post up pictures of the door strikers??????? pleassseeeee...

Thanks your truck is moving on along!!!

Here you go. Let me know if you want another.

Image Not Found

nice.. what route did you take in putting those on?? The interior looks freaking amazing!!! I love the update... Got me thinking now dude...

Would you happen to have any pictures or any comments about the dash brackets that need to be switched over from the XJ?

Also, for the Seat brackets have you considered cutting the front bracket off and then welding it to the floor? Thats what I was planning at least.

On the door catches, I drilled out the back bracket for the old catch and put the new one in it's place. On my 99XJ the bracket was just held in my a clip. If I remember correctly the old catch hole lines up with the top hole for the new catch, so you only have to drill one hole. Hope this helps.

Ben