Guage cluster

I have my shifter "in the tree," not a floor mounted auto shifter. My gear indicator is in the cluster......I just got a cluster from the junk yard and I just noticed it does not have a shift indicator. Any suggestions?

I am not going to move my shifter to the floors either!!

thanks in advance!

timmyk

I can't imagine that the actual cluster plastic is different. I would see about moving the guages from the JY cluster to your cluster. That way you could keep your ODO with the correct miles.

I can't imagine that the actual cluster plastic is different. I would see about moving the guages from the JY cluster to your cluster. That way you could keep your ODO with the correct miles.

I understand what you are saying but the shifter indicator is in the huge gas gauge where the tach would normally go.

I guess I will see what I am going to do.......a shift on the coulmn might be just a MJ thing......never saw an XJ with an old school shifter

some police xj's had column shifters, it was an option on the XJ, it was just much more popular in the MJ. I'm pretty sure that there's nothing in the bottom of the tach, might be worth taking a dremel to it and making it fit. Or using the big gas gauges backing and using one of the guage pdf's out there to make a new face for it.

some police xj's had column shifters, it was an option on the XJ, it was just much more popular in the MJ. I'm pretty sure that there's nothing in the bottom of the tach, might be worth taking a dremel to it and making it fit. Or using the big gas gauges backing and using one of the guage pdf's out there to make a new face for it.

Pulling the old cluster out I found out how the shifter indicator worked......it worked by a fine piece of wire attached to the needle. well as you can imagine, it broke on the way out.

I put the new XJ cluster in...tach and volts works. I hope with new senders, my oil and water will work too.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I bought a 1990 gauge cluster, Anyone know how to remove the trip reset mechanism? I'm trying to remove the odometer so I can reset it to match my mileage.

Anyone know how to remove this so I can reset the mileage????

disassemble the face of the cluster, and remove the speedometer. you will need to remove the needle and face...to remove the needle, look closely you will see where it connects, and pry it upwards gently til it pops off. to reinstall, you will notice a little white mark below the 5 mph mark..the needle needs to be lined up with that mark (set the gauge at an angle like it is in the truck and line it up...it will be all the more accurate)

once it's apart, you will need to remove some clips and a couple screws to take apart the odometer i believe. you don't need to remove the trip meter...that is a seperate mechanism.

best of luck!

redoing the mileage on that style is fairly straitforward...i just realized you can do it without removing the face.

once you have the gauge out (via 2 phillips head screws on the back and 1 on the front) you will see that the wheels are very much in the open. on the odometer side, you will see that there is a gear on one side, and if you look closely at the other side you will notice a little C clip holding the numbered wheels together. remove that BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE IT and you can get just enough room between each wheel to reset it to your exact mileage.

be careful when doing this too as you can break the small clips that are in-between each numbered wheel. when it comes to putting it back together, simply make sure everything is ligned up where you want it (via looking at the front of the gauge and checking that it's what you want) and reinstall the little clip.

NOW HERE'S THE KICKER. that c-clip bounces like a mofo if you don't get it on right, so be careful, and don't, i repeat DON'T do it in a carpeted area. i lost my clip doing that...and couldn't find it so i just used a different gauge. take your time, don't force anything, and do it right. think while you do it and you won't screw it up.

hope that helps.

well, so is swapping out the gauge cluster at all... so it's better to be accurate than not.

hey john, take a look at your old speedo gauge...maybe it's the same style and can be swapped right into this cluster? might be a sacrafice though if your old one didn't have the trip meter....

well, so is swapping out the gauge cluster at all... so it's better to be accurate than not.

hey john, take a look at your old speedo gauge...maybe it's the same style and can be swapped right into this cluster? might be a sacrafice though if your old one didn't have the trip meter....

I might end up swapping them, but my old gauges are blue and these ones are black. I have it apart but I can't get the darn c-clip off.

...actually you should make sure the fluid is somewhat drained before you pull the temp. sending unit...and now's about the time for an oil change too. you need dry surfaces to seal them up good.

you should change the oil to get dry surfaces to seal up the temp sensor?

am i :chillin: ?? i just wrapped the temp sensor in teflon tape and threaded it in

Is the new oil pressure unit suppose to be so big? Anyone know if I got the right PN?

I got it from Oreilly's and they had no clue what I was talking about.

Part number S768

Here it is compared to the old one.

yup, you have the correct one John, that's it. the old one was just to turn a light on if it was too low or hi...the new one sends a real-time reading of the pressure...so it stands to make sense that it would be bigger.

did you change your temperature sending unit as well? if not you're gauge is NOT correct.

yup, you have the correct one John, that's it. the old one was just to turn a light on if it was too low or hi...the new one sends a real-time reading of the pressure...so it stands to make sense that it would be bigger.

did you change your temperature sending unit as well? if not you're gauge is NOT correct.

I ordered it last week, it should be in by tomorrow.

How tight should the oil pressure unit be? I just have it hand tight right now.

first you should have some sort of sealant on it John, then you should tighten it FARTHER than hand tight...put a wrench on the base of it (best not to wrench the nut part on the top) and tighten it. it's tapered IIRC so just tighten it til you feel comfortable. probably half the threads or so will be in it...

John, I have a ??? for you...I now have an 87 sport truck with a column shifter and dummy lights...first, how do I adjust the shift indicator, and second, does the shift indicator fit right into a different gauge cluster (if I cut a hole in the face of the tach gauge?) i mean, does it just bolt in or how does it work?...I would like full gauges in the thing, so my options are to adapt a normal cluster to fit the indicator in it, or to simply put a normal column in it, toss (sell) that and the gauges with indicator, and go to a floor-shifter. it's an easy enough conversion, but I'm debating whetyer or not i wanna do it...my column isn't tilt and isn't intermittent wipers anyways, and i would want to upgrade that as well...

first you should have some sort of sealant on it John, then you should tighten it FARTHER than hand tight...put a wrench on the base of it (best not to wrench the nut part on the top) and tighten it. it's tapered IIRC so just tighten it til you feel comfortable. probably half the threads or so will be in it...

John, I have a ??? for you...I now have an 87 sport truck with a column shifter and dummy lights...first, how do I adjust the shift indicator, and second, does the shift indicator fit right into a different gauge cluster (if I cut a hole in the face of the tach gauge?) i mean, does it just bolt in or how does it work?...I would like full gauges in the thing, so my options are to adapt a normal cluster to fit the indicator in it, or to simply put a normal column in it, toss (sell) that and the gauges with indicator, and go to a floor-shifter. it's an easy enough conversion, but I'm debating whetyer or not i wanna do it...my column isn't tilt and isn't intermittent wipers anyways, and i would want to upgrade that as well...

I have no experience with a column shifter gauge other than the fact that I had one in my possession for a couple of days. I don't think it would be to hard to cut out the bottom of the tach gauge to make room for the shift indicator.

If you plan on changing out the column anyways, I would go ahead and convert to a floor shifter.