rear drive shaft

well I turned mine into a corkscrew tonight. Is it better to get another stock one, or should I spring for an after market piece? I don't really want to go through this again. Are shafts like Tom Woods stronger? Is it worth it to eliminate the slip yoke, and go with a SYE? I have no vibs, so I don't really need it.

Thoughts?

The SYE is definately a strength thing.... also a pice of mind thng that the slip yoke won't come out from over flexing.

As far as the driveshafts go... if you don't get a SYE go to the JY and get some used shafts. If you go with any of the big makers.. buy their trail insurance if they offer it.. I had a TW one built for Pong, and needless to say over time it had been flat spotted and had some candy cane marks on it.. didnt buy the insurance.. had to have it re-tubed locally, which only cost a lil over 100 bucks

I killed a TW myself. Pulled the slip shaft on it at full throttle. As the driveshaft centrifuged out it broke/flattened every yoke, crushed every u-joint, and twisted off a bunch of the splines.

I didn't know he sold any extended warantee. I don't think it would have covered that anyways. A learning experience - buy a long travel shaft if you're getting it built from scratch anyways.

What? No story? I wanna know how you did it! And where are the pictures?! :brows:

Its quite boring actually. I was playing on my neighbor's rock pile, and got hung up on a rock, and a telephone pole that was laying there. A rock was under the left rocker pannel, and the right front tire was off the ground. I had no traction. I pulled the truck back with my XJ, and had somone give it some gas. It began to corkscrew, and pulled out of the slip yoke.

Pic:

I think I'm going to try to get it re-tubed locally. I don't have $500 to spend on an SYE and new DS right now.

I had my stock shaft retubed after twisting it up. It cost about $125 and they used a heavier wall tube than stock and made it 2" longer to correct for the lift. <-- Mitchell's in Shrewsbury, MA :thumbsup:

The MJ doesn't usually need a SYE to address for vibes because of how long the shaft is and also I've driven alot on just the front shaft: 16 oz soda bottle and a hose clamp works flwlessly for that.

I had Mitchell's in mind. Thanks for posting. I will give them a ring. There is also a place in Leominster that does it I think.

I don't really have the $500 for a new shaft and SYE now, so I think that re-tubing the drive shaft with a heavier tube is the best option.

Get a local shop to build the shaft. Just tell the local shop EXACTLY what vehicle it will be going in and what its intended use will be and they will set you up with a shaft just like the high doller "big name" comanies and you won't have to pay for shipping.

AARON

Get a local shop to build the shaft. Just tell the local shop EXACTLY what vehicle it will be going in and what its intended use will be and they will set you up with a shaft just like the high doller "big name" comanies and you won't have to pay for shipping.

AARON

Once I get paid...this is the plan!!!

Thanks! 8)