What is in your "Happy Truck Kit"

One thing my grandpa taught me is to always keep a box in your vehicle filled with stuff you may need. He used to call it the "Happy Car Kit". So I adapted it to the "Happy Truck Kit"

Here is a list of what i keep in mine

1 30cal ammo can with tools

1 hammer

2qts of oil

1qt trans fluid

1 roll of duct tape

1 bag of zip ties

1 small can of WD-40

1 Gallon jug of water

1 small jug of washer fluid

some rags

pair of gloves

1 itchy army wool blanket

all of this goes in a locking water proof trunk. For my wife's car i have something similar, but its in a milk crate in the trunk.

What is in your Happy Truck Kit?

I don't have a garage right now, so all my tools except the large and really heavy ones are distributed between my two rides. Same for my recover gear. Extra fluids as well. I also have some basic survival gear, including warm clothing, high-energy food, and several fire-starting methods, in a backpack that goes into whatever vehicle I'm driving at the time.

I used to carry a tool bag with the basics and recovery gear in my TJ...until it was stolen, so I have stopped carrying tools daily. No need to, as the 86 MJ is the most reliable (and ugliest) vehicle I've had. The Leatherman I always carry can fix almost any road side problem I would likely have.

When winter comes I daily carry recovery straps and shackles under the seats along with durable warm gloves and jumper cables. If I am going on a long distance trip or wheeling, I do have a Jeep tool bag I bring along. It has a basic socket set, two crescent wrenches, bit driver and bits, set of trox drivers, 12point 13MM socket, 36MM socket, various hose clamps, various vacuum lines and plugs, zip ties, tire plug kit drive shaft and axle u joint and a ball joint press.

1 30cal ammo can with tools

1 hammer

2qts of oil

1qt trans fluid

1 roll of duct tape

1 bag of zip ties

1 small can of WD-40

1 Gallon jug of water

1 small jug of washer fluid

some rags

pair of gloves

1 itchy army wool blanket

That pretty much covers it...as I don't want to bring along my entire shop.  I also carry the best tool of all...my AAA card...never failed me yet.

I actually call it my FUBAR kit.

AAA card as ParadiseMJ noted, cell phone - both of which I carry with me.  In the car - cell phone charger plugged into the cigarette lighter.  That covers me for just about everything.  Most other things - American Express or another credit card.  But I don't go off road and don't use the truck for long distances.  But, since I got rid of the SUV I may need to tow more with the Comanche or just replace it.  Right now the Comanche works for what I need a truck.

Mine depends on what I am doing. If I am just daily driving around town I don't even carry a spare tire so it cannot get stolen. If I am just wheeling really close to home I typically do not bring much either. If I go farther than 20 miles I start to bring some tools.

Between my brother, dad, and myself we typically have all the tools possibly needed including even access to weld on the trail. This one is important and we learned this the hard way. I broke my trackbar in half in the middle of a trail so 2 of us had to drive about 8 hours round trip back to the house to weld it up and bring it back up to the trail, install it, finish the trail, and head back home. Just a wake up call to be prepared all the time.

I personally carry in my truck, which mostly go into an action packer and another bag,

Hi lift jack

spare tire

assortment of random hand tools

Hammer

zip ties

electric tape

A few extra important bolts

extra motor oil

gear oil for trans an diffs

atf for tcase

coolant

water

power steering fluid

brake fluid

Some paper towels 

I also carry a pair of gloves for pulling winch line

I typically bring an extra jacket in the winter

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a garage right now, so all my tools except the large and really heavy ones are distributed between my two rides. Same for my recover gear. Extra fluids as well. I also have some basic survival gear, including warm clothing, high-energy food, and several fire-starting methods, in a backpack that goes into whatever vehicle I'm driving at the time.

I have started carrying a pack like that since hunting season started, going to keep it in there from now on i think. I also can't believe I forgot recovery gear! gonna have to put that in there :P

I churn through vehicles pretty quick and usually have half a dozen at a time ..... so it's hard to keep them well stocked.

My daily driver Civic has jumper cables and an umbrella.  

My tow rig and road trip Suburban has a full mechanics socket set, tie down straps, a come-a-long, wheel chocks, tire patch kit, couple quarts of oil, extra hitch balls, extra hitch wiring adapter, a bottle jack, and a lug nut wrench.

My trail XJ has a bag of basic tools and a full socket set, plus spare tire and recovery gear.  I try to stay light weight on the trail .... if something breaks, I just get dragged back to the parking lot and put it on the trailer.

The MJ runs pretty well and I don't go far in it, so I just make sure to take my phone.  If it does conk out, I'll just call a buddy.

The wife's mini-van has blankets, umbrellas, jumper cables, a socket set.

Also, when traveling, I always grab my jump box.  It's come in really handy on many occasions.  For me or for others.  It's a thousand times easier than jumper cables, and you don't need another vehicle.

I really should put together a "ditch bag" and take it along as well.

Jumper cables, complete factory jack hardware (a 4-way would make a good addition), 1qt each of oil, ATF, and power steering fluid, as well as a fairly comprehensive tool set, including standard and metric sockets, wrenches (ratcheting and standard) and screwdrivers, and of course my Leatherman that I carry at all times. It all fits behind the seat. I want to be able to save my @$$ or someone else's on the side of the road, and go to the junkyard just with my truck tools if I feel like it. The MJ is nice enough these days that I don't worry about having to fix it on the side of the road, but I like to be prepared. If I have the T-Bird I usually don't take the tools. If that thing breaks on the side of the road I have no hope of fixing it.

If the truck is parked I bring it all inside for security. I sometimes do work just with my truck tools so I can be sure that I can service the MJ with just the stuff I carry around.