looking for tips on modifying a WK

NHMJXJ

I still have my beloved MJ, but recently sold an XJ to transition to a WK.  It was painful, but that's another story. 

I didn't want to dilute CC.com with off topic stuff about different models.  On the flip side, I would like to "make my WK mine" and separate it from the heard as best I know how.  I went to, ahem ... the other Jeep(forum) site and after registering, got the canned response acknowledging my registration.  That was the last correspondence received.  I tried to upgrade my membership to forego the sickening proliferation of ads the other site had and can't get a response from "the management".  I guess my money is no good over there.

That said, if anyone has a contact for the other site that actually responds, please hook me up.

In the meantime, is there a CC member out there with knowledge of the WK that could field a few ?'s for me?  If there are other resources out there, I'm all ears! 

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Thanks Pete!

I fear this thread will fizzle fast.  I'm not looking to create an off-road rig, so you guys with mud on the roof will get bored quickly. 

I checked out mallcrawlin.com (sounded about my speed) but quickly determined it was a wolf in sheep's clothing.  I would like to scale "curbs", not tree stumps.  Their "read this first" note immediately identified me as an outcast, because I do have newbie questions like biggest tire size and budget lifts. 

The first thing I do when I buy a new vehicle is put different wheels and tires on it.  I've discovered that clearances are an issue with the WK when fitting other Jeep wheels, or oversizing tires without a lift.  And what's all this about a pinch weld modification? 

What exactly is a pinch weld, where is it and what does the modification entail?

Also, I have a base model Laredo.  It appears there is wiring for factory fog lamps that are secured to the frame.  I'd like to add fog lamps, but is there more to it, than plug and play? 

pinch welds are a way for manufacturers to join sheetmetal.  the ones you are referring to are in the wheelwell and common among lots of unibody Jeep lines.  the fix is usually to make little cuts and then fold over the pinch seam so it can't cut into oversize tires.

664397d1378255387t-what-did-you-do-your-

My WK is due for tires. I plan to upgrade the size to 255/65r17 with the adjustable Bilstein strut up front. The strut provides 3/4" of lift and will actually level the Jeep out.

Having been on mild forest service roads with the WK, some sort of frame stiffening should be on the top of anybody's list who wants to wheel this SUV. Every door creaks and pops when you leave the pavement.

Mild and drivable is the plan.  This is my DD and I have no off road plans. 

I've always stuffed as much rubber under my vehicles as I could fit. Nothing/little extending outside the wheel well.   I have a "look" in mind and already bought 17" chrome Rubicon Moab style wheels.   I presently have Orbitek wheels with 235/75/17 Firestones.  They look like cookies.   I want big fat Michelins!!!

The WK below has 255/70/17s on stock Orbitek wheels and reportedly no modifications or rubbing.  Stout, but not quite there. 

I have to echo one of the replies to that thread.  Great write up!   Thanks for the link Pete ... it looks like an easy project too. The only bad thing is involving a dealership. 

I guess they did prewire for the lamps.  One of the pics illustrates what I tried to describe.  I found an '05 WK Limited locally on Craigslist that someone is parting out.  He said all of those parts are still in it, so I'll be spending some time in his yard in the next couple weeks.   

• 3 weeks later...

Lighting question ...  step #13 in the link Pete posted reads; "Now schedule an appointment with a local dealership to have them program the PCM to activate the relay when the fog light switch is in the on position." 

Wuzza PCM and does this have to be done by a dealer?

I followed up with the guy with '05 WK.  I went there hoping to get the headlight assemblies and all the fog light components.  He was parting it out and already had his money out of it. 

I offered $100 and he said, "I've got to go watch my kids, the wife's going to work".  "Take whatever you want, just leave it in running condition so I can move it". 

SCORE!!!  Got all the lighting stuff, woodgrain interior parts, 6 disc CD/MP3 factory head unit, the cargo area privacy cover and a bunch of other chrome do-dads.  I only brought tools for the lighting, or I'd have grabbed a bunch more.   

Not sure if Chryco uses a "new" scan-tool meow, but you can probably find someone with a DRB-III (If this is what is still in use) locally that can help you out. 

Or, you can always attempt to turn them on after plugging them in. Possibly modify the wiring to work with existing switch or add another. 

I made sure everything worked before I harvested the parts.  Of course, I wanted to test the theory that the PCM thingie should be reprogrammed, so after I installed everything I pulled the trigger.  Nuthin.  :shake:

Shopping around for someone that can do it cheaper, but I have an appointment scheduled with the dealership.

I think my local dealership charged me $100 to synchronize the camshaft and crankshaft sensors on my TJ after the motor was rebuilt.

Any shop specializing in diesel mechanics would have the ability to alter the PCM. Might cost more than the dealership though.

• 2 weeks later...

2" lift, maybe up to a OME 3" shouldn't have much to worry about. When you start getting into the 4" range, you need to start dropping things. The 4" kits on the market around the 2k range have everything that is needed.

I'm planning a 2" lift, cheap rough country spacers, for my wife's WK, with the 32s off my MJ in the next couple weeks..

I bought the Daystar 2" on eBay for $133 (I understand that's a bargain).   I've been lurking elsewhere and reading up.  The Daystar  and Rough Country kits have several endorsements.  There are tons of pictures of WKs with the lifts and it's the look I'm after. 

Kind of have a stockpile of parts growing and my regular shop quoted a decent price to install the lift and do an alignment.  I have a close friend that's their shop foreman, so they're pretty good to me.  They know I'm cheap, but don't chastise me too much. 

Have you guys had the N23 and/or p73 recalls preformed? I had the first N23 done and now I have to pull the FDCM EDIFF fuse to get 4lo to work. Apparently the newest recall may fix the transfer case shifting issue but may also cause other systems to malfunction. I am just very leary to let Chrysler load some other software into my WK that may cause other failures. Do you guys have any personal experience with the recalls?

As I wrote, I've been lurking and reading.  Most of the complaints I read about the Daystar lifts were related to off-road. Not an issue, as "mild and drivable" as previously suggested is the goal.  A snow covered surface street, or groomed dirt road to a boat ramp is the worst terrain my WK will see.  Read similar complaints about the RC lift and it's more expensive. (Remember now, I'm cheap)

I don't know if the recalls have been done.  Bought the vehicle used with 113K on it and AutoCheck® is all the history I have on it.

It's straight, clean, starts, goes, stops, no visible leaks, frosty AC, hot heat and the windows work.  Good to go. :thumbsup: