5spd to auto swap?

I know there was a thread on it, but the search owned me...

So, I've got a 4oh and peugeot (still kicking), but I'd rather have an AW4 after watching/doing some wheeling with XJ/YJ guys... Yes, I've debated it with myself a whole bunch, and I've decided to go this route. Tell me otherwise or w/e...

Anyways, I've got an AW4 (that's a start), plus what I think is the correct input for my tcase (I hope so). And I've got the AW4 torque converter.

Now, assumably I'm going to need a TCM, and the shifter setup? I also need the other TB bracket or w/e to attach the kick-down cable? Or are they the same?

I've actually got my whole XJ (4.0, AW4, 242) to pull parts off of I think. I bought an AW4 from the boneyard, but I think I will take it back and use the one out of the XJ as I know it is good. I didn't do a huge checkover of the boneyard AW4 (I assumed it was totally drained, and had no tools), and when I pulled the TC off it has some nasty tranny fluid in it, but I THINK that was because it was sitting - they'd not have marked it as anything but a core if it was totally messed. Anyways, if I can find the receipt and it looks like the XJ won't sell then I'll probably steal the XJ's AW4.

Oh yeah, I want to run brettM's shifter... I'm going to order one or look at the page for it again at least. :dunno:

I just did the same swap to my MJ. I also started with a complete XJ doner vehicle (good idea). Below is the list of things I had to change to comlete the swap.

Complete transmission, fly wheel, flex plate, cooler lines, trans mount, front drive shaft, complete throttle body w/ tps and kick-down bracket, complete shifter assembly, tcm and complete wiring harness.

We removed the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder. We installed an external trans cooler in front of the radiator. We ran into issues with the trans cross member, brake pedal, rear drive shaft and steering column. It took 3 of us about 12 hours to complete the conversion. Its one of the best upgrade I have made to my MJ to date (the BA10/5 is a POS). I've pm'ed my phone number if you would like more detailed info.

I just did the same swap to my MJ. I also started with a complete XJ doner vehicle (good idea). Below is the list of things I had to change to comlete the swap.

Complete transmission, fly wheel, flex plate, cooler lines, trans mount, front drive shaft, complete throttle body w/ tps and kick-down bracket, complete shifter assembly, tcm and complete wiring harness.

We removed the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder. We installed an external trans cooler in front of the radiator. We ran into issues with the trans cross member, brake pedal, rear drive shaft and steering column. It took 3 of us about 12 hours to complete the conversion. Its one of the best upgrade I have made to my MJ to date (the BA10/5 is a POS). I've pm'ed my phone number if you would like more detailed info.

Did you have to change the harmonic balancer as well? I've never done the swap so not sure, I just thought the part numbers for the HB were different with stick and auto's due to the flywheel change. Again, not sure but may be worth looking into.

I'm confused. Why would you need the computer and shifter assembly if you're going with Brett's shifter? I thought his dealie worked without them?

Umm. Yeah. You've got me there...

I need to go look and see what I need/don't need for his shifter to work again. Problem is I have about 40 projects on the go here, and I can't think.

Alrighty, I knew the front driveshaft wouldn't work, but I'd already banked on that. But now that I think about it, I bet I'll have to change the rear too - it's setup for 7/8" compression. Unless I kick my wheelbase out again. Which I won't do.

My tranny mount/x-member is all custom anyways, so changing it isn't the end of the world.

I think I have the cherokee to pull stuff off of, so it should be fairly easy.

dirty, any info you have on Brett's shifter would be greatly apprciated if you could forward it my way (once done with your 40 other projects of course :brows: )

If you want me to wait until the other projects are done, we'll both be old and grey...

dirty, any info you have on Brett's shifter would be greatly apprciated if you could forward it my way (once done with your 40 other projects of course :brows: )

If you want me to wait until the other projects are done, we'll both be old and grey...

haha, then do it now dammit!

j/k. clear your head i'm in no hurry as me having an auto MJ is a month or two in the future...i gotta build up the suspension, front bumper, and rear bumper first before i can (meaning should) do anything with the tranny.

Rob: No I did not change the balancer, I never would have thought to. I have had no issues with it to date.

Dirty: After the swap the rear driveshaft was about an inch too long at stock vehicle hight. After I put the lift in it, i have about an inch of the slip yoke exposed from the t-case.

that system rocks! for $130 and you can use your own switches and everything, that's way wicked...and you can chose for it to shift itself or let you shift it, upshift, downshift, and lock up the torque converter.

it's official, that's what I'm doing to the 89 since i have the tranny and everything already!. WOOHOO that is sweet!

that system rocks! for $130 and you can use your own switches and everything, that's way wicked...and you can chose for it to shift itself or let you shift it, upshift, downshift, and lock up the torque converter.

it's official, that's what I'm doing to the 89 since i have the tranny and everything already!. WOOHOO that is sweet!

in order for it to shift on its own in regular mode it needs all those linkages and stuff though, i plan on running the arcade style up/downshift and doing it manually all the time

All ya gotta do is post, and somebody will figure out the details for ya...

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to part out my cherokee or use junkyard parts.

Hmm. I guess I could put my peugeot in the cherokee to sell it... That'd be some more worms for the can.

All ya gotta do is post, and somebody will figure out the details for ya...

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to part out my cherokee or use junkyard parts.

Hmm. I guess I could put my peugeot in the cherokee to sell it... That'd be some more worms for the can.

ya, but then ya'd have to go through all the effort of putting the clutch system in the xj and bleeding it etc...really more hassle than it's worth IMHO. I'd part the xj personally, OR for good measure, throw the jy aw4 you have in the xj and sell it as needing some tlc. you really just need the tranny and connectors and t-case right?

as for brake pedal...I'd just remove the clutch pedal and use the manual style brake pedal. more room for the left foot...

We're in the process of doing this now. We're down to running/hooking up the cables. Anyone know where I can find some sort of diagram that shows where the cables are supposed to run? We stripped an XJ for all the auto stuff the beginning of April...and I, um...have sorta slept since then... :oops:

in order for it to shift on its own in regular mode it needs all those linkages and stuff though, i plan on running the arcade style up/downshift and doing it manually all the time

So you do still need the TCM, right?