1986 Metric Ton Diesel

Injection pump static timing.  I'm trying to trace down why the truck is running so rich and idles like crap.  The injection pump was replaced by the previous, previous owner and I have no clue if he clocked the pump correctly.

Found it on eBay.  Link to the one I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221517351853?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You may want to hold off until I confirm it actually works with the Bosch pump on the Renault.  It came with a few different threaded adapters so it should work, but I haven't confirmed that yet.  I may be able to check it out tonight if I get some time.  The kits can be had for much cheaper if you already have a dial indicator handy (I did not): http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252025602002?lpid=82&chn=ps

I also demand cases for all of my tools so I always pay a little extra for that.

You just jarred my memory. I might have picked up the tools only portion some time ago. I remember picking them up off an end table in the living room awhile back. Time to do some searching.

Thanks for the info. I do really like the case mounted all in one place and together. May just end up going that route.

Rob :cheers:

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In case anyone was wondering there is a diesel MJ for sale on the des moines Iowa Craigslist. It's rusty and is asking too much but it's been on there a year and he responded to me about it about 2 months ago so it's still there and he may come down in price if you try. I had a better MJ fall in my lap so I passed it up, never got to go see it so don't know much about it.

• 3 years later...

Wow, it's been a few years since I made an update.  Life comes at you fast.  I now have two little ones and have been getting rid of some projects and other have just been on hold.  But, I still have the factory diesel MJ!  I actually did a little bit of work to it recently and it jarred my memory to give an update. 

So, a couple weeks ago I get a letter in the mail from my town office.  Apparently some nosy neighbors didn't like that I had two vehicles parked in my backyard that had not moved for quite some time - one of those was the diesel MJ.  They got me on a technicality in that the vehicles did not have plates.  Per town rules I need to have all visible vehicles on my property tagged and registered.  So I sold one of the two vehicles - a 2001 XJ - and needed to get the diesel MJ into the garage so it was no longer visible.  Problem was that the truck had been sitting for quite some time and the diesel in the tank smelled like lacquer thinner.  I drained that out the best I could using a transfer pump, put about 5 gallons of fresh diesel in the tank, installed a charged battery and she fired up after some cranking.  

I decided that while I had the old girl running that I'd take her up and down the side street next to my house.  Engine ran OK and idled fine, but definitely smoked out my neighbors as I was driving by.  I think the smoke is a combination of the injection pump timing being off and a possible cylinder that is low on compression.  When it was cranking over for a while before it fired up, I could definitely hear the starter speed up a little bit like one of the cylinders was easier to crank than the rest.  I planned on pulling the engine anyway and going over it all and have been gathering parts to do so for years.  Whenever I see something pop up on eBay I snatch it up.  Sorry for the rest of the diesel MJ owners.  I am hoarding NOS parts...

Once I get my '89 Pioneer squared away (brake lines, floor pans and other odds and ends), I'll get back to work on the diesel MJ.

Pics to follow tomorrow.

On 7/18/2015 at 4:10 PM, neohic said:

I'd love the opportunity to work on it... even to the point of throwing out ridiculous offers like putting the floors in it for nothing. For real... I'm feeling generous today.

I think the offer is still there... five years later. :beerchug:

Was going to snap a few photos of the current state of the diesel MJ this afternoon, but instead spent the time preparing for Tropical Storm/Hurricane Isaias that is currently projected to run right through my area.  I made sure the diesel MJ is safe so unless this storm levels my shop to the ground everything should be good to go.  I spent about 2 hours picking up all of my children's toys in the back yard that could become flying projectiles if the winds they are predicting actually happen.  I think this will be the second major tropical storm/hurricane to pass through this region since i moved here in 2011.  The last one was Hurricane Sandy in 2012, which wound up shifting its track and only giving us a bunch of rain and some wind.  This current storm looks to be much more intense and is going to deliver a lot of high, sustained winds.  I've got my generators on the ready and my family sleeping in an area of the house that has no trees in the vicinity.  

Good luck to anyone else in this storm's path.  Stay safe and stay vigilant.