gauge cluster QUESTION please help

so i have an 86 2.8l v6 and the PO put in a new cluster with rpms and all that. and the rpms, fuel, battery amps and speed kinda works. the temp and oil gauges do not work and the full time light comes on and off while driving in 2wd any help would be greatly appreciated just trying to get everything working and learn more about it havent it that long thanks for the help

I don't know. It would depend on the year of the cluster the PO installed. Earlier years had one type of speedo connection. Later models used electronic speedos. The other gauges may have changed also

I don't know. It would depend on the year of the cluster the PO installed. Earlier years had one type of speedo connection. Later models used electronic speedos. The other gauges may have changed also

Early years had two kinds of mechanical speedo connection. '86 MJs (and '84 and '85 XJs) had a metallic clip at the speedo head end, with a screw to hold the cable to the instrument cluster. '88 thru '90 had a nylon compression clip, with no screws. I haven't had the cluster out of my '87, so I don't know which style was used in '87, or if it was a mid-year change during the '87 model run.

I am also swapping out my gauge cluster, having a hell of a time finding the proper sensors at any of the auto parts stores or online. Was there a year range or model of Comanche that had the full or 3/4 cluster? This may help track down the proper gauge sending units when searching online. this seems like a pretty generic part that fits most vehicles. but when I search for "88 Comanche Poineer" it pulls sensors for lights, not gauges. 

Wells Tu108 or Standard TS199 or BWD WT761 for the water temp gauge . I can't remember the oil pressure right now but will give you the number when I get home .

Edit: Standard PS315 for the oil with gauge

To add to this, the oil pressure and coolant temperature mechanical gauges remained consistent throughout the MJ years and the same senders are used on both the Renix and HO clusters for these two gauges. The only exception is the oil pressure sensor for the 92 MJs as they had a 2-wire sensor vs. the older single wire sensor. The best way to find the correct sender you need is to come in armed with the factory part number. Most auto parts chain stores have an accurate cross reference for factory-to-aftermarket part numbers. It's better than depending on the counter parts drone and his often flawed database. Factory MJ  p/n's are as follows for the temp and oil pressure gauge senders:

56026782, SENDING UNIT, Oil Pressure, 86-91

56026779, SENDING UNIT, Oil Pressure, 92 (2-pin connector)

53005309, SENDING UNIT, Temperature, w/Gauge, 86-91

56027012, SENDING UNIT, Temperature, 92

Wells Tu108 or Standard TS199 or BWD WT761 for the water temp gauge . I can't remember the oil pressure right now but will give you the number when I get home .

Edit: Standard PS315 for the oil with gauge

To add to this, the oil pressure and coolant temperature mechanical gauges remained consistent throughout the MJ years and the same senders are used on both the Renix and HO clusters for these two gauges. The only exception is the oil pressure sensor for the 92 MJs as they had a 2-wire sensor vs. the older single wire sensor. The best way to find the correct sender you need is to come in armed with the factory part number. Most auto parts chain stores have an accurate cross reference for factory-to-aftermarket part numbers. It's better than depending on the counter parts drone and his often flawed database. Factory MJ  p/n's are as follows for the temp and oil pressure gauge senders:

56026782, SENDING UNIT, Oil Pressure, 86-91

56026779, SENDING UNIT, Oil Pressure, 92 (2-pin connector)

53005309, SENDING UNIT, Temperature, w/Gauge, 86-91

56027012, SENDING UNIT, Temperature, 92

Dude, you are a life saver. thanks! I'll hit up Napa tomorrow. 

Looks like at Autozone you have to go with a universal for oil pressure. The one on the left is for up to 80 psi, the one on the right is for 100 psi. But ... we don't know if the ohm range is the same as the factory unit.

http://www.autozone.com/gauges-and-gauge-accessories/gauge-sender?filterByKeyWord=oil+pressure+sender&fromString=search

Temperature: This one is named "switch," but it says it's for gauges: http://www.autozone.com/engine-management/temperature-switch/jeep/comanche-4wd/1988/6-cylinders-m-4-0l-fi

Napa:

Temperature: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Temp-Sender-Switch-Gauge/_/R-ECHTS6053_0193389554

Couldn't find a sender for oil pressure

Looks like at Autozone you have to go with a universal for oil pressure. The one on the left is for up to 80 psi, the one on the right is for 100 psi. But ... we don't know if the ohm range is the same as the factory unit.

http://www.autozone.com/gauges-and-gauge-accessories/gauge-sender?filterByKeyWord=oil+pressure+sender&fromString=search

Temperature: This one is named "switch," but it says it's for gauges: http://www.autozone.com/engine-management/temperature-switch/jeep/comanche-4wd/1988/6-cylinders-m-4-0l-fi

Napa:

Temperature: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Temp-Sender-Switch-Gauge/_/R-ECHTS6053_0193389554

Couldn't find a sender for oil pressure

O'Reillys has them both.

Why not go to the junkyard and pull the sensors from a Cherokee and try them out.  If they solve the problems, you can leave them in or go buy new.

Save a few bucks.

problem is I live in Montana, so most jeeps are picked clean or the junk yards ask way WAY too much money. its easier to buy new. I found what I needed at AutoZone actually for reasonably cheap. Napa didn't have anything and neither did O'reiley's either place I was looking at 2-4 day delivery time for a higher price. 

got my gauge cluster from an '89, to avoid any issues with the odometer, i just pulled the old one out and installed it into the new cluster. the back bolt holes didn't match up so i had to do a little bit of fabrication work. looks ugly as hell but i am the only one that knows that it is there.