Exhaust Shielding

Anyone ever rig up some exhaust shielding to cover the turn in the down pipe that runs under the cab just before the cat? The cab get mighty toasty there and with no AC I figure this maybe well worth the investment. I've never messed around with the stuff before and have no clue how hard it would be to install. I was looking to do something under the cab, opposed to say dynamat which would be under the vinyl.

Anybody have any experiences with it or even better pictures?

I thought about that once. Even went ahead and purchased some. But then decided against it since the truck was mostly for offroading and I wasn't sure what happens when the wrap gets all wet and muddy. :(

I thought about that once. Even went ahead and purchased some. But then decided against it since the truck was mostly for offroading and I wasn't sure what happens when the wrap gets all wet and muddy. :(

are you talking about the stuff you wrap around your pipes? I was thinking more like the tin foilish stuff (techincal term). But I got no clue how it works. I'm going to stop in Advanced Auto and poke around. Hopefully its cheap.

stopped in Advanced and NAPA, neither one carriers any kind of shielding like I was refering to. Advanced carries the wrap stuff but its pricey at 45 bucks. NAPA mentioned that the only time they sell muffler shields is if it comes with the muffler. I guess I'm gonna just deal for now.

As many leaks as our MJs get, I don't advise putting anything under the carpet that might hold water. In fact, I recommend pulling up the carpet and removing the stock stuff that's underneath. With any luck it's not already a big stinky sponge. :(

:agree:

I remove my stock padding every time, and then put in ceramic insulator pads that I get from my grandpa's leftover stuff. it's some ceramic stuff he uses for building firefighter practice towers...they won't start on fire and don't hold moisture. idk what they are called tho...

As many leaks as our MJs get, I don't advise putting anything under the carpet that might hold water. In fact, I recommend pulling up the carpet and removing the stock stuff that's underneath. With any luck it's not already a big stinky sponge. :(

When I pulled mine out that's exactly what it was, and man did it smell. :eek:

I even had the truck in the garage for over a month and a half and it was still wet. I would say it's the prime cause of the rust in my floor pan.

Header wrap'll keep the heat down, but it keeps all the heat inside your exhaust causing other problems.

Just get some thin metal and get it above the muff. Even an old computer case if you don't have any metal laying around anyways.