Good Cherokee sites?

I like this site for the comanche's, Does anyone in here frequent any great cherokee sites like this one? We just picked up a 95 jeep cherokee with a bunch of mods and I would like to find a site to do some searching for some info. Thanks in advance.

I like this site for the comanche's, Does anyone in here frequent any great cherokee sites like this one? We just picked up a 95 jeep cherokee with a bunch of mods and I would like to find a site to do some searching for some info. Thanks in advance.

naxja.org but watch what you say, if you ask a dumb question they're dicks and flame the crap out of you. if you just say you flat out don't know what the deal is and ask for someone's opinion, you may get better results.

typically, tech for cherokees can be pretty well covered on this site as well.

p.s. i'm thinking you need to go cheromanche w/ the cherokee...hummer style with the back half of a comanche cab right behind the rear seats.

p.p.s. i have the back half of a comanche cab soon coming off tatersalad (a project of mine)

naxja.org but watch what you say, if you ask a dumb question they're dicks and flame the crap out of you. if you just say you flat out don't know what the deal is and ask for someone's opinion, you may get better results.

typically, tech for cherokees can be pretty well covered on this site as well.

p.s. i'm thinking you need to go cheromanche w/ the cherokee...hummer style with the back half of a comanche cab right behind the rear seats.

p.p.s. i have the back half of a comanche cab soon coming off tatersalad (a project of mine)

A great idea, but we bought this for one for her. She just started a job about 22 miles away and didn't want to rack the miles up on her truck. A couple of brothers in our offroad club have a jeep lot and found this one for me. It was a sweet deal, It has a 3 inch lift, sway bar quick disconnects, body is in great shape for a wisconsion vehicle, needs some TLC is all. It also has a ford nine inch rear end with some kind of a locker in it, thats what I'm wanting the info on. I'm planning on swapping back to a original rear end. This thing would be a little dangerous for her to drive in the winter with the rear locker. But it will still make a great grocery getter :D

don't swap to the original rear end, just get a normal carrier for the 9 inch. it's easier first of all to do, and it's gonna be more reliable than the dana 35

the ONLY stock jeep axle that i would swap back to would be the chrysler 8.25 or a stock dan 44.

don't swap to the original rear end, just get a normal carrier for the 9 inch. it's easier first of all to do, and it's gonna be more reliable than the dana 35

the ONLY stock jeep axle that i would swap back to would be the chrysler 8.25 or a stock dan 44.

They picked this cherokee up from a wholesaler and our efforts to contact the original owner has hit dead ends. How can I tell which nine inch it is and what it came out of?? I would be up for what your suggesting as it would be a much easier thing to do, but I would like to know exactly what I got for future repairs( brake work, bearings, etc.)

true enough. I say measure length of it. the carriers should all be the same...

just please don't but a turdy-5 in it

I will, the length from backing plate to backing plate? I would like to stay with this nine inch, the angle of the driveshaft looks perfect and I hate to change that. It doesnt look like it has been shortened, it looks like a stock nine inch, which nine inch rear ends fit the cherokee? I appreciate all the help. :cheers:

I will, the length from backing plate to backing plate? I would like to stay with this nine inch, the angle of the driveshaft looks perfect and I hate to change that. It doesnt look like it has been shortened, it looks like a stock nine inch, which nine inch rear ends fit the cherokee? I appreciate all the help. :cheers:

As far as I know, NO 9 inch fits the Cherokee. That doesn't mean that somebody couldn't stuff one under a Cherokee. The track may be different from a stock Cherokee, or they may have used rims with a different offset to keep the tires under the flares.

What size tires do you plan to run? I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that you may be better off swapping in a stock XJ axle. The best choice would be a 97+ Mopar 8-1/4. Easier to find (and cheaper than) a Dana 44, and nearly as strong.

I am sorry to see you buying into the myth about lockers being dangerous in winter, though. On ice or in snow, even a Trac-Lok stays locked and I don't hear about thousands of Jeep Cherokees with limited slip axles crashing in January because they are inherently "dangerous." Dang! We get snow in New England, believe it or not, and I couldn't make it through a winter without a traction device of some kind. Open rear in winter? Just shoot me!

As far as I know, NO 9 inch fits the Cherokee. That doesn't mean that somebody couldn't stuff one under a Cherokee. The track may be different from a stock Cherokee, or they may have used rims with a different offset to keep the tires under the flares.

What size tires do you plan to run? I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that you may be better off swapping in a stock XJ axle. The best choice would be a 97+ Mopar 8-1/4. Easier to find (and cheaper than) a Dana 44, and nearly as strong.

I am sorry to see you buying into the myth about lockers being dangerous in winter, though. On ice or in snow, even a Trac-Lok stays locked and I don't hear about thousands of Jeep Cherokees with limited slip axles crashing in January because they are inherently "dangerous." Dang! We get snow in New England, believe it or not, and I couldn't make it through a winter without a traction device of some kind. Open rear in winter? Just shoot me!

I'm not sure what locker is in it yet, but if you start out from a stand still with the wheels turn all the way in one direction, and do a full 180 circle, it is solidly locked, the rear wheels churp thru the whole turn. when it shifts from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd (automatic tranny) it tends to lunge a little to the right or left on the shift and you have to be ready for this with the steering wheel. If I was driving it all the time I would leave it as it, I'm just worried she might get on some ice and this quick little quirk to the left or right might throw her into a oncoming lane of traffic.

just another question for the wizards of the jeep, would a 258 bolt right up in place of the 4.0, the reason I ask, is, I know a guy with a wrangler, the square headlight jeep, with a blown engine in it right now, he can't' find a replacement, I have a 258 and if it would be a easy swap in, I would let him have it.

just another question for the wizards of the jeep, would a 258 bolt right up in place of the 4.0, the reason I ask, is, I know a guy with a wrangler, the square headlight jeep, with a blown engine in it right now, he can't' find a replacement, I have a 258 and if it would be a easy swap in, I would let him have it.

WHOA barking up the wrong tree there...

a 258 should bolt in, but the electronics would become a problem as one is FI and one is carb. plus the 258 is a bit longer so maybe the motor mounts wouldn't line up?

the question you should be asking is "do any of you out there have a spare 4.0 that would fit a YJ? a friend of mine isn't having luck and could use a hand..." :P no offence but the 258 isn't the best option for the swap considering how many 4ohs are out there, unless he really really wanted to run propane. i know you prolly want that outta your shop badly and if you do, you should post it up on naxja.org or the classifieds here...someone will likely want it for a CJ, but it's not for a YJ and i wouldn't put one in a 4.0 ran jeep.

I am going to suggest the pics as well. Sounds like you have ALOT of unanswered questions. They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Like Eagle said, there is no bolt in 9" for an XJ. Although a great axle, not to mention it is not the most common axle swap. Sounds like you may be going on someone elses assesment of what you have. This information may or may not be correct.

BTW a ford 9" doesn't have a removable diff cover. It has a center section that bolts in from the front.

Here is a pic of a 9" "cover":

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Also sounds alot like a lincoln locker, AKA someone welded the spyder gears.

If you must swap it out, I would suggest a 8.25 from another XJ. I suggest this for initial cost, stregnth and easy avalibility. But remember if its 4WD (I assume it is) you must match the gear ratio with the front.

This is a 8.25 CRYCO diff cover:

Image Not Found

With pics we can all look and give you the best, most accurate assessment of what you have and what you have for options.

So, respectfully.... :needpics: ;)

CW

a 258 should bolt in, but the electronics would become a problem as one is FI and one is carb. plus the 258 is a bit longer so maybe the motor mounts wouldn't line up?
Not so fast, Gonzalez.

The 258 is the SAME block as the 4.0L. The length is exactly the same and the motor mounts are exactly the same. However, I agree that trying to drop a 258 in place of a 4.0L is a bit retarded. The only way to make the injection work is to swap the 4.0L head and manifolds onto the 258 and, depending on why the 4.0L engine doesn't run, that may not be a good choice. On the other hand, if the head is in good shape, it's an interesting way to get an injected stroker engine. Just remember that some years of the 258 had a narrower block and head than the 4.0L and if yours is one of those, you'll have to block off a couple of coolant passages on the head to avoid dumping all the coolant.

i was talking about them not being the same....i've found that i can't put a 258 crank, or pistons into a 4.0 because of different length and stroke...

and if some years were narrower, then they're not really the same are they?

naxja.org but watch what you say, if you ask a dumb question they're dicks and flame the crap out of you.

Hey we're not all dicks, we just get tired of people not searching.

i know not all of you are dicks, BUT the search program on naxja turns up infinite things that are mildly related, to say the least. if you're new to the club or xj's and ya don't know much about them, it's much better info to get things firsthand. everyone should understand that. I always say "well that's been covered in here (link) and check that out, yours sounds a little different etc...

just cause it's nicer. btw i'm on naxja and IMO the moderator Ghost is a complete @$$hole. pardon the language, but someone posted up asking why his post got deleted and it was because other people turned it into an @$$hole fest of flaming, then ghost deleted it without informing the original poster and when the orig. poster asked why, he went all ape$#!& on the guy and was saying crap like "because I'm a mod. and i can do whatever i want, that post was out of hand (that's a fair reason), and you watch your mouth cause you're blue and you don't pay for this so you have no say.

that post has been deleted cause i made him out to be an @$$hole and it got out of hand with EVERYONE going off the deep end.

not as bad as pirate, but comancheclub is the club to be on if you want fairness and true knowledge.

But not everyone that manages to find a particular forum and then manages to figure out how to post a question is savvy enough to figure out or run an effective search. Just because it's easy for some of us doesn't mean that other less computer-savvy owners can successfully run a search (especially since we Jeepers tend to use all sorts of slang: transmission, trans, tranny, stick, gearbox, etc). I would rather answer a thousand questions about what type of oil to use in a 4.0 than to have a single person go away with a bad impression of the forum. Not to mention that many similar looking problems have subtle differences that the poster may not understand. That's not to say that I don't have a few canned responses (like for how to post pictures) or that I won't run a quick search myself to help them out. I just don't understand the intolerance for repeat posts. I guess I just prefer to strive for better customer service and help each member individually. :dunno:

naxja.org but watch what you say, if you ask a dumb question they're dicks and flame the crap out of you.

Hey we're not all dicks, we just get tired of people not searching.

Lol! I was thinking the same thing!

NAXJA is The place to be for Cherokees, though. Pretty much, any question you have will have some sort of response to it within the hour.

I'm gonna go against the grain on this one.

I'd say drop the 8.8 in it. Minimal fab, sturdy and your wife will get much improved braking with the factory discs.

If you want a drop in solution, get a 19 spline 8.25, itll do just fine.

Please avoid the D35 at all costs.

WHOA.....

First off let me say I did not mean to start an arguement in here. Before I go any farther, I should properly introduce myself to this post, as it seems it has attracted some of the highly intelligent jeepers. <-(and that was a compliment).

Hello, I'm Binderbart. Or as all my friends call me, Bartman. I'm 43 years of age as of the 24th of May. I'm a divorced father of 3 that has had custody and raised my kids for the past 12 years. I am currently in a long term relationship with a wonderful woman 14 years my senior...yeah I'm a stud. :D , not a wife yet, but someday soon she will be. I just became a grandpa twice in the past year, My daughter gave me a grand daughter and she has a year of high school left, and my oldest son just gave me a grandson->who will spend a lot of time in the shop with us jamminz.gif . He is only 4 months old and has probably clocked more time in the shop then some of the newbies in here :bowdown: . My second oldest boy just left for the army last tuesday, and I'm proud of that. I've been a mechanic for the past 23 years, mostly part-time, full time I'm a cnc machinist/mainly programming and initial set-ups. I work hard and play hard, I put in 12 hours a day between the two jobs.

I"ve owned a cj that we totally redid once I got custody of the kids, only to roll and total it 3 years later on one of our clubs trail rides. Since then I have been mainly scouts. The cherokee I have now is my second, the first being a 86 everyday beater that had the 2.8/auto. I picked this one up because the better half said we needed some thing to cart the grand kids around when we had both of them at once.

I bought a 88 comanche a couple of months ago as a project rig. You can learn more of this by my other post in here, thats how I found this site. And let me say now, this is one of the coolest sites I've ever come accross, you guys have the same pride us scout guys have. Thats impressive to see. I test drove the manche and it drove great, the day I went to pick it up the fuel pump gave out a couple of miles down the road. so I had it trailered to the shop. 2 hours after a harley friend showed up and offered me his 79 CJ-5 with 73.000 miles on it for $100. so I bought that, a couple of weeks later we picked up the cherokee for her. so now I have the comanche for sale on here, to many projects, to little time. And when I showed it to her, I told her I could swap it back to stock height, she said the lift is what she liked....she's a keeper.

Now, I know a ford nine inch when I see one and I've swapped the carriers before, I thought maybe this came out of an exployer or something because the welds looked factory, I'll probably look for another carrier to drop in , and have the locked one to drop in quick if I ever want to "steal" it from her for a weekend trail ride :D . and after reading all the previous post, I'm going to abandon ship on the 258 idea. sounds like alot of headaches I don't need right now. I'm going to use the next post to put up some pictures I took today of the axle, cherokee and CJ I just picked up, thanks for all the great replies. I'd drink a beer with any of you guys, any day! :cheers:

Here's some shots of the axle in the cherokee:

Okay, that last one sucked, here's some of the cherokee itself:

And here's a few of the CJ I picked up:

The cherokee needs a vaccum booster and front wheel bearing to be road worthy, thats my next project once I get a current scout project I'm working on done.

i believe that the 9 inch out of a first generation bronco is the correct wisth for the cherokee however they were the weakest years for the 9 inch.

and are those some original bfg all terrains similiar to those that daisy duke's "dixie" was equipped with on your cj?