My 87 MJ project is almost ready for inspection but my reverse lights are not working. I have tried many things for it to work including changing the bulbs, checked the wire for damages, and checked connections from the switch and at the sockets. I am lost. If someone could point me in a direction that would help I would really appreciate it.

Be sure the flat 4 connector is secure and clean.  Have you taken out the sensor/switch and pressed the ball manually to see if the lights come on.  AFAIK the switch is not adjustable like the NSS on an automatic trans, so it either works or doesn't.  The best option is to replace the switch.  Don't remember how much they cost, but on a BA/10 I believe they are not expensive (at least not as spendy as an AX15 switch).  I know I have a working BA/10 switch that I put on my BA/10 a month before I swapped the trans for an AW4.  It's basically new.  If I can find it and you need it I'll mail it to you.  PM me and I'll look for it, Otherwise check your local NAPA for the part.

Be sure the flat 4 connector is secure and clean.  Have you taken out the sensor/switch and pressed the ball manually to see if the lights come on.  AFAIK the switch is not adjustable like the NSS on an automatic trans, so it either works or doesn't.  The best option is to replace the switch.  Don't remember how much they cost, but on a BA/10 I believe they are not expensive (at least not as spendy as an AX15 switch).  I know I have a working BA/10 switch that I put on my BA/10 a month before I swapped the trans for an AW4.  It's basically new.  If I can find it and you need it I'll mail it to you.  PM me and I'll look for it, Otherwise check your local NAPA for the part.

thanks man. I appreciate the help. ill check in to the switch more.

Don't forget to check the "trans" fuse under the dash. power to the switch come from there. i'd start from either the battery end or the light end and work the opposite direction checking voltages.

I forgot about that one.  You can have power to/through the switch, and if that 7.5A fuse is gone, there will be no power to the light

Don't forget to check the "trans" fuse under the dash. power to the switch come from there. i'd start from either the battery end or the light end and work the opposite direction checking voltages.

I forgot about that one. You can have power to/through the switch, and if that 7.5A fuse is gone, there will be no power to the light

If the fuse is gone or blown there won't be power to the switch.

sorry I'm pretty sure I have a BA10/5 transmission and yeah I have continuity through the switch on the trans.

I thought he said he HAD power to the switch...I re-read that.  Continuity doesn't mean power, I got it now.

• 4 years later...
On 6/1/2015 at 9:15 PM, ADAs89 said:

I've been having issues with my back-up lights for weeks on the Comanche I'm restoring and this was the issue. Wish I had known this weeks ago. 

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, NickyV said:

Just dropping by to say that I had the same issue recently, and it was the "trans" fuse. Now... as to why that fuse keeps blowing? Only the fickle Jeep gods and their gremlin minions know why.

yeah, the wiring harnesses frequently have... issues. :(