dual exhaust

As long as the "dual" part is behind the muffler you should be fine. Eventually my new MJ will have "dual" exhaust. I bought a used system from an MJ being parted out. They exit right behind the tire and point sideways. It's propped up behind the garage and I can snap a pic if you'd like.

Dual exhaust on a 4.0 hurts performance from everything i have read. 4.0 needs alot of backpresure i guess you could run dual 1" pipes lol

Not true, at least in my case. I've had a Hesco 4.5L stroker in my rig for a couple of years now. My original Mar 2005 peak dyno readings at rear wheel were 182.4HP @ 4250RPM and 228 ft/lbs torque at the same RPM. Last month I went back to Hesco for my over 2-year checkup. The peak readings this time were 208.0HP @ 3990RPM w. 276.8 ft/lbs torque. The only major performance changes I've done since 2005 were getting rid of the cat and replacing it with a 2.5" in/out glass pack, into a Walker (the Flowmaster was too loud for me) single 2.5" inlet / dual 2.5" outlet Hi-Flow muffler, then dual 2.5" pipes all the way back over the axle exiting under the bumper. Also Hesco had to lower the fuel pressure from 44PSI to 38.5PSI to get the best dyno readings. Lee Hurley did the dyno runs himself, and was happy. I've read that you need lots of back pressure for the 4.0L engines too, but did not believe it. You just never know how mods will affect the engine until you put it on the dyno.

As long as the "dual" part is behind the muffler you should be fine. Eventually my new MJ will have "dual" exhaust. I bought a used system from an MJ being parted out. They exit right behind the tire and point sideways. It's propped up behind the garage and I can snap a pic if you'd like.

yeah the plan was to make the dual part after the muffler to keep the cost down. if you get around to it, could take a few pics. thanks.

Too dark now. I'll snap a couple tomorrow. If you're lucky maybe I'll even be able to find the energy to haul it out and prop it up in place under the MJ. :D Gotta do that eventually, right?

i had a single in dual out setup on my MJ and i liked it at first but then after a while just took it off and redesigned how my new exhaust ran....it a single flowmaster 40-series that dumps out behind the rear wheel(stock location) but above the leaf spring and tucked up out of the way

Slight change in plans. I had to move the truck asap (city discovered it wasn't yet tagged :roll: ) and now it's not near the exhaust. But for what it's worth, here's a shot of the exhaust itself

Dual exhaust on a 4.0 hurts performance from everything i have read. 4.0 needs alot of backpresure i guess you could run dual 1" pipes lol

Not true, at least in my case. I've had a Hesco 4.5L stroker in my rig for a couple of years now. My original Mar 2005 peak dyno readings at rear wheel were 182.4HP @ 4250RPM and 228 ft/lbs torque at the same RPM. Last month I went back to Hesco for my over 2-year checkup. The peak readings this time were 208.0HP @ 3990RPM w. 276.8 ft/lbs torque. The only major performance changes I've done since 2005 were getting rid of the cat and replacing it with a 2.5" in/out glass pack, into a Walker (the Flowmaster was too loud for me) single 2.5" inlet / dual 2.5" outlet Hi-Flow muffler, then dual 2.5" pipes all the way back over the axle exiting under the bumper. Also Hesco had to lower the fuel pressure from 44PSI to 38.5PSI to get the best dyno readings. Lee Hurley did the dyno runs himself, and was happy. I've read that you need lots of back pressure for the 4.0L engines too, but did not believe it. You just never know how mods will affect the engine until you put it on the dyno.

Don, that's the setup I want (except for canning the cat) :roll:

Did you have the 2.5" cat back, over-axle pipes custom bent? Did you have to remove your spare?

Thanks!

Tom (your chrome supplier) :USAflag:

Don, that's the setup I want (except for canning the cat)

Did you have the 2.5" cat back, over-axle pipes custom bent? Did you have to remove your spare?

Yes, had them custom bent over the axle (have a friend w. a muffler shop) and kept the spare. welded on universal hangers on the cross member behing the spare, and used 3" S/S tips under the bumper. Here's some bad pics, will take some better ones when I get it up on the lift.

exhaust1.jpg

exhaust2.jpg

exhaust3.jpg

exhaust4.jpg

Don, I'm good, but when I look at pics of your truck, I get disgusted with mine! LOL. Looks great, even the leafs are clean and painted, and the rear diff cover is great! Love the 'Bama cat! jamminz.gif

How are you? Your MJ must roar!

Tom

thats what i was looking for. hows it made?

I don't know any details beyond what I can see, but the muffler isn't marked with a brand name so I don't know if it's a kit or custom. I'm thinking it's a kit since the pipe seems to be rust-resistant. The pipe is made in sections and welded together (poorly). I hope it sounds good, but the truck previously had an old super-cheap muffler barely hanging on so it's got to be better than before. :D

Don, I'm good, but when I look at pics of your truck, I get disgusted with mine! LOL. Looks great, even the leafs are clean and painted, and the rear diff cover is great! Love the 'Bama cat!

How are you? Your MJ must roar!

Yeah, IB lucky to be away from the northern winters that tear up our rides. Those are new "Metric Ton" springs and haven't had a chance to get dirty yet. :D Have had the diff cover for years, and stuck it on awhile back when I converted the anemic rear drum brakes to Ford Explorer disks. I like the diff cover mainly for it's increased fluid capacity. The MJ's running about as well as I can get it, and the exhaust helps a lot. And I'm doing fine too Tom-san. jamminz.gif