'86 Commuter/Weekend Warrior

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is that brake leveling valve that I hear about? I'm thinking of possibly doing the '97 front clip, but, as much as I would love to do the interior and dash swap, the dash would be too much for me. It's bad enough that I'm doing the total rewiring of the engine bay for the Mopar injection and computer.

Jerry

The funny thing is, the old guy thought it was an '89. I walked up to it, and saw the grille, and it looked older. My suspicions were right, as the tailgate had the 2.8 V6 badge. I specifically didn't want an '86, as I heard the firewall wasn't notched for the 4.0. After looking at mine, then reading about the late '86's that had the 4.0 notch, glad this one has it!

Jerry

20avwhf.jpg

This is the load-sensing brake proportion valve. The thin rod should be somewhat vertical. As the axle moves upwards under load (or rather the body moves downwards) the rod pushes the flat bar upwards (counterclockwise when viewed from behind the truck), increasing rear brake bias. If it feels like your rear brakes aren't doing much right now, it's cause they probably aren't.

Thanks, Gogmorgo! I was wondering where that was!!

Well, getting ready to go to the JY to look at a '90's 2 door XJ for the body harness, engine harness, ECU (XJ is manual), and shifter/boot for the console, and THEN, it's off to bring the MJ home, finally!! Will post pics later.

Jerry

If y'all want a cheap quick fix for the load sensing valve just throw on a zip tie and tie it to approx the level mine is at. Don't go any higher than that, go closer to horizontal with the ground if you drive unloaded all the time. It will make a huge difference, mine was dangling when I bought the truck and it was almost unsafe to drive.

16176001112_31573874c7_c.jpg

MuddFoot, funny you would say that! While I was waiting for my friend to get off from work and meet up at the PO's house to tow it to my place, I went to the local U-Pull-&-Pay. I got an AX15 shifter, boot, and shift floor plate from one 2-dr XJ, and a pair of tan bucket seats with no slop in the seat back, and they tilt forward from another 2 dr XJ!

Here are more pics of the MJ after we got it out from under the PO's carport, and offloaded two really heavy old generators from the bed.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

All loaded and ready to go:

Image Not Found

On the way home:

Image Not Found

and finally HOME, with one of my daughters steering while my friend and I move the MJ to the back of the house:

Image Not Found

Yes that wash made a huge difference! Wow the bed looks amazing, mine isn't bad but that looks almost scratch less! The bed liner worked..I bought a comanche a few years back and it looked like crap and had firewood etc in back I thought it was going to be trashed but little to my knowledge I found oil had spilled and been in bed for years ..it protected it from rust and looked amazing. Anyhow your trucks looking good man!

Thanks! I really hate those drop in bedliners, as they are notorious for trapping dirt between the liner and bed, scratching the paint off, and then rotting out the bed. I was shocked it was so clean! Tomorrow, I'm going to clean the bedliner and pit it back in, just to protect the bed while I'm getting the drive train finished.

Jerry

The factory drop-in bed liners sealed pretty well. Going over the top of the rails kept a good portion of the crap out. A few members have pulled them and been surprised at how clean the bed was.

The aftermarket drop-in liners that don't go over the top of the rails? Yeah. Stay away if you plan on keeping the truck for more than a couple years.