t-case sye install

Removing the t-case is a beeotch because of the top bolts..Hanes manual says you must drop transmission and remove exhaust to access these bolts..Any other suggestions...I am leaning toward cutting me an access panel thru the floorboard as i see this as a poor engineering flaw that can be rectified. :brows:

I haven't done the SYE to the MJ yet... but I've done two XJ's... one pulling the t-case out, and one leaving it in. Took about the same amount of time either way. Easier if its on the counter, but takes time to get it out. Harder if it's still under the vehicle, but you don't have to get it out.

Just my $0.02

If you have a manual tranny, and have the carpeting/cargo mat removed, you can access them from the inside. Pull the shifter boot, shifter, and metal plate that's screwed to the floor out and the two top studs are right there.

But the big problem is the bottom bolt/stud....it's hidden by the tranny crossmember :cry:

Jeff

hey, if you do it by supporting the jack and "dropping" the tranny down about 6", it's no big deal...the crossmember has to come off either way.

For the one time I did it, I supported the tranny pan with a jack and 10x10 block of wood, dropped the 8 bolts for the crossmember, the 4 that connect it to the bottom of the tranny, disconnected the shifter, lowered it, undid the nuts, slid it off, and reversed that to put it on.

tranny crossmembers are the worst. that's why I opt to drop them frequently...keep the bolts lubed and easily removeable so that the next time I won't break them or the studs off.

makes sense to me...and cutting a hole in the floor wouldn't make sense with a bench seat, or a full center console. spending time underneath is really the best way without removing the tranny entirely.

jeepaholic, you do not have to remove trans to drop t/c. I do someting close to what jeepcoMJ mentioned. After removing all needed linkage & shafts, just drop the drivers side of Xmember & loosen passenger side. Then use "flex" 9/16 or 14mm to remove top nuts.

mjcanoe

The first ratchet wrench I bought was an angled 7mm/8mm for the front driveshaft bolts (there was a conflict with the custom crossmember and that wrench was the only thing that could work). Now I have a full set of them plus a set of stubby metrics and I can't imagine life without them. jamminz.gif