My Manche

well, i found this site about a year ago when i bought this thing, but have never posted any pics. not that she's anything to look at, but i thought i'd share....

this is what it looked like the day i bought it... re-done floor, 3"BDS lift, TJ wheels and 31's. worth every penny of $800. looks pretty good, but what you can't see is the unbelievable amount of bondo holding the rear fenders together, and the massive oil leak underneath

e98046c3.jpg

home in the yard...notice the slick underneath

e9803674.jpg

another the afternoon i got her home

e98030ef.jpg

this is last fall. a buddy gave me a set of YJ flares for free (i had to do something with the rear fenders, and i picked up a very worn set of 35's for $200. i liked the fit, i liked the look, but the flares were too small, they just looked silly.

e9803ba6.jpg

these were taken yesterday. TJ flares now installed, 35" Trxxus m/t's, longer shackles to help offset those horribly sagging rear leaves

e98046c0.jpg

e9803f1e.jpg

i've got an 8.8 rear with 4.56's waiting to go in. i just got to buy more stuff. shocks, brake lines, spring perches, install kits, axle flange... the list goes on. when i get it all together, it's gonna have a soa rear with about 5-7" lift up front. gonna do the rear first, then decide how high the front has to go. who knows, after having the wheel wells so filled, i might wanna go with 36's or 37's afterwards....we'll see i guess.

yeah, my bad, should be fixed now.

oh, and i forgot to mention the "custom" brush-on paint job. looks like hell, but it's super thick stuff, so scratches just aren't an issue. not sure what colour it is, the closest i can find to match is new ford grey engine block paint....

That's better.....your truck looks great- I think your 30 foot paint job looks better than mine does. I like the look of the 35's, it's crazy that you fit them with 3" of lift, that seems like it shouldn't be possible. Did you get the oil problems ironed out? Good luck with the SOA, it's a good project :cheers:

thanks Pete, i had no idea how to do that.

thanks for the comments guys. i love the 35's with 3" of lift. as it sits right now, the truck is actually wider (aobut 6'2") than it is tall (about 5'9") so it's unbelievably stable. i can sidehill things that my buddies just can't think about. even after the soa, it should be about as wide as it is tall, so it should still be pretty stable.

i had to pound out my inner fenders up front to clear the tires just so i could turn the thing, and i don't have much flex before everything binds up up front, so i'm looking forward to a little more lift.

oil problems...um, sorta. i replaced the oil pan gasket and filter o-ring, which cleared up a lot of the issue, but the rear main still leaks. so i tried to replace that a few weeks ago. unfortuneately the crank is grooved, so it'll never not leak, then i messed up the oil pan gasket putting it back on, so it leaks again. i gotta take the pan off and fix it, but i'm lazy. lol, the truck likes to leak itself down about a quart and a half, then it isn't so bad :D

• 2 months later...

update: toward the end of May, I took the truck out for it's first run of the summer. we went to a favourite mud hole nearby. this hole used to get me stuck every damn time so i had to try it with the new sneaks. everything was going pretty well, i was about 3/4 of the way through when i heard a snap and lost 4wd. luckily it turned out only to be the linkage, and it was only 4lo that i lost. so i had to go the rest of the way in 4hi by revving up to about 5grand and dropping the clutch. love that smell! anywho, i finally got out of the hole, and my buddy tells me my front axle was wrapping hard. i looked underneath and found i had ripped my right upper CA mount completely off, which then in turn ripped my left UCA in half! yikes. god i hate maritime rust. so, two months later, and i now have a D30 from a 98 XJ under there. bigger u-joints, no rust on the mounts. very nice. i re-geared it to 4.56 to match the 8.8 that will be regeared and put under the truck after my next pay. for the moment, the truck is mobile, but only 2wd, as i took out the front DS.

no pics, they will come after the install of the 8.8 (soa). oh, and i picked up a set of 2wd leaves for my soa, hopefully keep the lift to about 4 or 5 inches.

• 3 months later...

'nother update. it's amazing how things seem to get in the way of working/playing in the garage. well, last week, the D30 in the ZJ decided to separate itself from its' coil bucket/shock mount/track bar mount assembly, so i had to finish the mj, take it out of the garage so i could put the zj in there to work on.

so.....i finished the soa with 8.8 this weekend. 3" coils up front, with 2" spacers, 2wd leafs and soa out back. looks really good now. i'm very happy with the way it sits. i put discs from a 96 crown vic on the 8.8, but am having trouble getting them to bleed properly. well, the bleeder screw on one caliper simply won't budge. i stripped it, then broke a drill-bit-stuck-bolt-remover-thing trying to get it out. looks like i might have to buy a new caliper for it. so, it's yard driveable at the moment but has almost no brakes, so it ain't going near the road yet. need to figure out the parking brake too......damn, the lights too (see tech section)

pics tomorrow..... :popcorn:

oh yeah, 4.56's now too! woohoo 8)

as promised...the new and improved...

the front

from the side, to compare with earlier side shot

8.8!

xj buckets and console...need seat covers though, these are stained beyond belief

and just for fun, i'd like to introduce you all to kobe. best christmas present i ever got (last year). kobe, everybody. everybody, kobe.

ok, so....those pics are big. if anybody feels the need to make them a bit smaller, go to 'er. i would but i simply don't know how.

can't get the brakes to work yet.....getting no pedal pressure whatsoever. back brakes not grabbing. i'm thinking there's still some air in the lines somewhere, as i put all new lines on at the back. i'm hoping it's not my master.

also have to figure out how to make the 8.8 parking brake cable work with the front half of the manche system. oh, and figure out why my lights don't work.

it just never ends does it?