Is this ceramic piece important?

its a resistor that runs to your fuel pump you don't need it but your pump will be alot louder without it i don't have one on mine and i can here the pump whining it gets kind of annoying. id replace it eventually but for a quick fix u don't need it

Looks like a ballast resistor.

Ballasts are most commonly needed when an electrical circuit or device presents a negative resistance to the supply. If such a device were connected to a constant-voltage power supply, it would draw an ever-increasing amount of current until it was destroyed or caused the power supply to fail. To prevent this, a ballast provides a positive resistance or reactance that limits the ultimate flow of current to an appropriate level. In this way, the 'ballast' provides for the proper operation of the negative resistance device. Examples of such negative-resistance devices are gas discharge tubes and lamps.

Ballasts can also be used simply to deliberately reduce the current flow in an ordinary, positive-resistance circuit. Prior to the advent of solid-state ignition, automobile ignition systems commonly included a ballast resistor to regulate the voltage applied to the ignition system.

If you want, just check the resistance across the poles, and then glue the thing back together. The ceramic shield is a heat shiled IIRC, so no critical tolerances.

It is a ballast resistor, but it is for the fuel pump.

When it goes bad, the jeep will start and run for a couple seconds, then die. The pump is given full voltage during start-up, but once running it is routed through the resistor so the pump isn't cranking out way more fuel than needed.

That's a stock part at Advance Auto parts -

GP Sorensen # GCR7 $3.97 (year ago)

Manufactor's name and part # in case you have a diffrent parts store.

And Yea......I would replace it for $4.

just an FYI, the 87 model year didn't have those. It's there for pump noise.

Can you just splice one in? My 87's fuel pump is crazy loud. It makes a constant whine/buzz ... it had be thinking that it is going to go up soon? But now after reading this I'm thinking it might be normal. Where exactly is this located on the MJ? My parts MJ is a '89 so I could rob it off that.

Can you just splice one in? My 87's fuel pump is crazy loud. It makes a constant whine/buzz ... it had be thinking that it is going to go up soon? But now after reading this I'm thinking it might be normal. Where exactly is this located on the MJ? My parts MJ is a '89 so I could rob it off that.

there was a TSB about it. Dealers were supposed to put one on if the customer complained of the noise.

My 87's pump is noisy, but I don't care, the ballast resistor is just one more failure point.

there was a TSB about it. Dealers were supposed to put one on if the customer complained of the noise.

My 87's pump is noisy, but I don't care, the ballast resistor is just one more failure point.

front left side of the engine compartment is where it's located. right next to the air box

FYI, My 4x4 quit running, it was the resistor. Luckily I took one off my 2x4 and tried it, after putting a new fuel pump in and no change. I had put a used pump in a couple of months ago and assumed it crapped out, oh well, I feel better about having the new one in. 1.1 ohms. Replace it, I'm on my way to get one now. How many times have I been told to check the simple stuff first, I guess not enough. :cheers:

Your right......I remember working on a '87 a couple of weeks ago, and notice it didn't have the Balast Resistor. Was a no start MJ........brought the price down on it too :brows:

JohnQ - I posted the part # for you, that should have helped at the counter??

Your right......I remember working on a '87 a couple of weeks ago, and notice it didn't have the Balast Resistor. Was a no start MJ........brought the price down on it too :brows:

wait, so could I use one of these on my comanche with the inline ford fuel pump to lessen pump noise?

ideas are pouring through my brain.

I called Oreilly's Auto and talked to a different salesman. I gave him the Advance Auto # and he gave me a Borg/Warner resistor Part # RU12. It doesn't have an ohm value on it, I hope its the right one.

JohnQ -

Looks the same, that should work.

Try it and that will give us an additional part #.

Jeepco - you could wire in a resistor like above to the feed line of the Ford pump, and it should work to quite down the pump motor when pressue is builted up, and load is not required.

JohnQ -

Looks the same, that should work.

Try it and that will give us an additional part #.

Jeepco - you could wire in a resistor like above to the feed line of the Ford pump, and it should work to quite down the pump motor when pressue is builted up, and load is not required.

THANKS!!!!!!!! that will help immensely...the pump is directly below the driver's seat and I regret having mounted it there.

Thats the BW part I put on mine last year. It's the one that went out. I got out the BW book and looked at the resistors. I couldn't find one with 1.1 ohms. The one on my 2wd had part# and 1.1 ohms on it. So I chose to get mine from the dealer. Probably won't make a big difference, because I'm sure the mud and water did it in. Anyway back on the road and another spare part to carry.

Thats the BW part I put on mine last year. It's the one that went out. I got out the BW book and looked at the resistors. I couldn't find one with 1.1 ohms. The one on my 2wd had part# and 1.1 ohms on it. So I chose to get mine from the dealer. Probably won't make a big difference, because I'm sure the mud and water did it in. Anyway back on the road and another spare part to carry.

How much did the dealer charge?