Lee's "What the hэll am I doing" Comanche

Really nice Comanche.

What front axle will you use now?

Dana 30 With bigger u-joint or a dana 44?

I'd love to throw a 44 under there, But with poor availability of them around here, Probably just another d30.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after awhile of looking around on craigslist/etc. I've decided to just build a dana 30, Seeing how it should be plenty strong for my needs & D44's around here are hard to find.

mZsiP6R.jpg

Got the first peice in the mail today. Alloy USA 4340 Chromolly axle shafts + whatever Alloy USA U-Joints they ship with.

Sometime later this week my Yukon Grizzly R&P And Timken Master rebuild kit are coming in the mail, Along with a Yukon Grizzly locker.

Shouldnt have to worry about my front axle now! Will also probably truss the d30 while i have it out of the jeep.

Is that sumas? btw I probably won't swap the 8.8 until I have a Dana 30 ready to swap in with 4.10s so it'll a be awhile

Yea, Thats at sumas. My truck & a toyota both broke a front axle on that trail, like 20 feet from each other lol

If you're planning on putting a locker in the front, Do it while you have it re-geared. So you don't have to pay to set up the gears twice.

Is that sumas? btw I probably won't swap the 8.8 until I have a Dana 30 ready to swap in with 4.10s so it'll a be awhile

Yea, Thats at sumas. My truck & a toyota both broke a front axle on that trail, like 20 feet from each other lol

If you're planning on putting a locker in the front, Do it while you have it re-geared. So you don't have to pay to set up the gears twice.

If I do one it'll be a selectable but I know those are damn expensive and after this week I'm not working anymore because of school so my cash flow is taking a dive. I won't be able to do much to my truck for awhile.

nM33poc.jpg

Got the rest of my axle build in the mail today!

Yukon 4.10 R&P

USA Standard Master Install kit, With Koyo bearings

Yukon Grizzly Locker

Spicer Ball Joints

Are you doing it yourself or taking it to drive line services?

I'll let DLS do the gear/locker install.

Alright! Time for an update.

I took out & stripped the D30 in my truck Only to find out the ball joint holes are so worn out the new ball joints just fall into place without any pressure...
Found a Non-Disconnect d30 out of a '92 cherokee on craigslist, Picked it up yesterday & stripped it down to nothing.

Spent today pressure washing it, Then wire wheeling it, Then heavily painting the entire housing, Put in the new Spicer ball joints, Put my old knuckles on so i can re-use my pretty much new brake setup. Tomorrow I'll drop off the axle at a shop to install my gears/locker.

Picture Time!:

rzAI2rK.jpg

That's what happens when the U-Joint snaps in the middle of the trail & get towed out to the road lol

gjGTfVA.jpg

"New" D30 After i stripped it, Hadnt cleaned it at all yet.

vEg7BLU.jpgPainted, But Balljoints/Knuckles not installed.

oHSGUva.jpg

100% Ready to be taken to the shop tomorrow & have it Re-Geared!

Hopefully I should have it regeared & installed by tomorrow night, If all goes well.

Todays the day!

Waiting for the shop to call is killing me, I havent been able to drive my

COMANCHE

for a month now, Dying inside a little more every day haha

/edit

Pretty pissed, Dropped off the axle Wednesday, He said it would be done by end of day friday, Called him @ 4pm & he said he hasnt even started it yet, call on monday.

WTF

Yeah....

There's a reputable shop by my area that is good for their prices and their outstanding work but his "lead" time is bogus....

He'll tell you a week and it'll be done 2-3 weeks later...

Hope it'll be done by Monday

Called them just now, Owner is out @ lunch at 2:30, Said he won't be back for an hour ish. And that he has no idea if he's even started on my d30 yet.

Meanwhile my truck sits without an axle at my brother inlaw's shop, And he just picked up antoher toyota Sat, That he's waiting to work on.

EDIT:

Got ahold of the owner just now, He JUST started on the axle. Said he should have it done by 5.

Alright! Got my new phone, got it all set up etc. Went & took some after pics of the steering.

9hBt2GS.jpg

6OgZTpn.jpg

Did Midas do that complete install? I really need an upgrade in that area.

No, I did it myself. I just had midas do my alignment, They were the only shop that day that wasnt a week+ Out on appointments >_<

So update on the truck;

Picked up the axle @ 5pm, Took about 5~ hours to get it completely bolted into the truck & drove it home.

I got a few pictures, I'll post them in the morning way too dirty/tired to deal with transfering them.

Alright, Well the axles broken.

The shop never put oil in the diff, Assumed i was going to & Never mentioned it when i picked it up.

Thankfully after pulling the cover, i THINK the only thing that fried was the pinion bearing

Dropped by the axle shop today, Talked to the guy for a bit. I ordered the Master install kit again ($20 more than JUST the pinion bearing lol) He's going to install the new bearings for free & Clean out the locker/etc.

/edit

Took the axle out of the truck again, Get my bearings on friday. Will be dropping it back off at the shop hopefully friday.

1CqfRg8.jpg

1CqfRg8.jpg

oWPJVNd.jpgXcX1iYW.jpg

Decided to start building my cage, While i wait for my axle to get out of the shop.

Axle should be back tomorrow, only have two peices left of the cage to build atm in the front. Still have to figure out how I'm going to do the rear.