2wd=4wd 1987 MJ OBD2 swap

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I got a TJ tank and sender from a friend for $20. :)

I have been researching tj)xj gauge clusters and it looks as though alot if people are swapping tj to xj and xj to tj and not a single person has said anything about the gas gauge bring off. Does someone have actual experience with the gauge being wrong?

There is No reason I can see that the sender will not be correct...

Remember that both the TJ and the XJ have 20G tanks so if your using the sender that matches the tank then there is no conceivable reason why it would not be a correct reading within reasonable tolerences...

Now if you did something like I did with a Dakota 22.5G tank and the matching sender with my XJ gauge then it would be off but in a good way as when the gauge says empty there is still at least 2.5G or more below the empty mark on the gauge...

Yes Jeep YJ's and TJ's using a 15G or 20G tanks option but they are all 20G tanks...

Jeep Cheated and used a longer filler insert tube for the 15G then the 20G, you can pull out the tube on the 15G tank and cut it to 3" or just leave it out and you have a 20G tank and yes they use a different sender for the 15G then the 20G so Now I see why you needed to use the TJ cluster...

Mine was saying empty at 1/4 tank with the XJ cluster. Try your cluster an see if it works. If not just make a note and buy a TJ cluster later on.

Definitely better than the other way around. I'd rather have fuel and think it's low, than think I have more fuel than I do. 

My MJ fuel gauge reads backwards, I'll have to talk to my friend/PO of my truck as he swapped in a new FP assy. and see if he ended up with an HO pump or wired it wrong. 

Don't feel bad about not being able to get the copperhead fab ring; it wasn't very good.  I wish I had a slosh pan now because I have to fill up at a 1/4 tank.  Otherwise, when I pull away from a stop, I get surging.  

A TJ Tank is a little to deep for my liking, if I were going to do mine over I would have just used an

XJ tank and relocated it to the back where the spare tire would go and build a custom skid for it...

That would keep things nice and simple heck I might just do it anyways for a secondary reserve tank,

ah but then Id have to cut out my custom hitch so time to hit the junkyard to find a small tank to fit up in the rear...

Anyone use a TJ tank under the MJ and if so post up a pic or two as Id love to see your install...

XJ tank won't fit where the spare I without sticking down 13 inches or more. Would need a good skid and ruin you departure angle.

If I were going to do mine over I would have just used an

XJ tank and relocated it to the back where the spare tire would go and build a custom skid for it

Nothing is going to fit right in... Everything need moding and massaging to make work but that's the beauty of it...

Yes I did. I have a 4.5" lift and needed to buy a 3" thick driveshaft to clear the tank. It is REALLY close to the rear diff at full flex. I also made my own tank brackets and used Astrovan tank straps. There is a pretty decent write up in my build thread.