Long arm 3 link best bang for buck

Expect some pretty diverse answers...

I am currently 3 linking my MJ.  Clayton 3 link x-member and front axle bridge, but I did not want to run square arms due to the material strength.  DOM is quite a bit stronger than the rolled square tube.  I'll be in the set up for about the same cost as the clayton kit + my time welding/fabricating the links.  I am having some issues related to frame link separation on the frame side (upper hitting floor limiting up travel), but it's partially due to my lift being 6.5"...the minimum recommended by clayton for their 3 link I think.

With that said, I ran the rock krawler 3 link on my last rig.  As far as bang for buck, I would say it wins.  Granted, it does not come with a crossmember.  I was tempted to run it again but decided longer arms would suit my build better.  Hopefully I'll be right.

With that said, I ran the rock krawler 3 link on my last rig.  As far as bang for buck, I would say it wins.  Granted, it does not come with a crossmember.  I was tempted to run it again but decided longer arms would suit my build better.  Hopefully I'll be right.

I've been running this kit for over a decade.  I just finally rebuilt the crawler joints, due to them getting rather rusty and the ball seizing up.   It doesn't come with a crossmember, but it doesn't require one either, just two brackets that bolt/weld to the frame rail.   I pieced their kit together, but I have thier long arm kit, coils and track bar and mount, no issues with it in the last 10+ years.

You couldn't pay me to run a IRO LA kit. The adjustable single upper on a radious arm scares me. I did run a RK LA on a XJ and a RE LA on a TJ and they were both good kits. I like the RK kit a lot more. It flexed a little bit better.

Why do you feel the need to be that high? 6" is more than enough for 35-37 inch tires.

I hear a lot of people are skeptical on the IRO LAs. To each their own though. There are a lot of ways to accomplish the same thing, just throwing out another option that I have experience with.

I also agree with the lift height. I've got about 8-9" of lift on my MJ and there is a whole lot of room even for 35's. Are you planning on running tires bigger than that?

I hear a lot of people are skeptical on the IRO LAs. To each their own though. There are a lot of ways to accomplish the same thing, just throwing out another option that I have experience with.

I also agree with the lift height. I've got about 8-9" of lift on my MJ and there is a whole lot of room even for 35's. Are you planning on running tires bigger than that?

Sorry every one I was out of town, and I was actually king to go up to 35s!

You couldn't pay me to run a IRO LA kit. The adjustable single upper on a radious arm scares me. I did run a RK LA on a XJ and a RE LA on a TJ and they were both good kits. I like the RK kit a lot more. It flexed a little bit better.

Why do you feel the need to be that high? 6" is more than enough for 35-37 inch tires.

yeah I have friends who run 4.5s with 35s, in my opinion it looks weird like there's to much tire, I like the look where you can see the inner fender well and you don't have to worry about anything rubbing!

I am currently 3 linking my MJ.  Clayton 3 link x-member and front axle bridge, but I did not want to run square arms due to the material strength.  DOM is quite a bit stronger than the rolled square tube.  I'll be in the set up for about the same cost as the clayton kit + my time welding/fabricating the links.  I am having some issues related to frame link separation on the frame side (upper hitting floor limiting up travel), but it's partially due to my lift being 6.5"...the minimum recommended by clayton for their 3 link I think.

As far as I am concerned Clayton is the bench mark for all other long arm kits to be measured against. I have never seen one of their arms fail and if it did I am sure they would make it right. A friend of mine has been running a Clayton kit in his ZJ for the better part of a decade and he usually wheels with the buggy guys. He actually is looking for a new ZJ to have Clayton swap his old suspension onto because it outlasted the unibody of his current Jeep.