Differences between MJ and XJ tail light harnesses

Just as the title states, are there any differences between the tail light harnesses on an XJ and an MJ? been to numerous junkyards and havent found a single MJ, but I'm just about tripping over the XJs (and ZJs). can i grab one from the same year range and call it good?

Darn good question.  I suppose the lengths are different and the connecters are different between different years (more supposin).  Think  some of us need to take a few good looks next time we are in the Salvage Yard.  Or we could take a look at the factory electrical manuels and see if that tells us much.  Around here even the XJ is starting to get scarce.  Have seen one MJ this year.  Last year it was 3 or 4.

Yes, the harnesses are different -- aside from the length. The XJ has dedicated amber lights for the turn signals and hazard flashers, so stepping on the brake doesn't stop the flashers from flashing, and so you still get both brake lights when the turn signal is signaling. The MJ uses the same 2-filament bulbs for taillights, stoplights, turn signals AND hazard flashers.

Yes, the harnesses are different -- aside from the length. The XJ has dedicated amber lights for the turn signals and hazard flashers, so stepping on the brake doesn't stop the flashers from flashing, and so you still get both brake lights when the turn signal is signaling. The MJ uses the same 2-filament bulbs for taillights, stoplights, turn signals AND hazard flashers.

Well stated and exactly right.^^^^^

• 2 weeks later...

The harness from an older dodge 1/2 ton might work. My '86 d150 has the same setup for how all the lights work, you might have to splice the plugs onto them though. Not too sure, but I think the Dakota have the same setup too. Hope this helps.