Rusted on wheel

So I'm trying to pull the rear axle on my 91 but I can't get the PS rear wheel off for the life of me. I've gone as far as hitting the tire from the inside with a sledge and still nothing. Anyone who's run into this before have any tips?

Do you mean wheel as in rim & tire, brake drum, or wheel hub? If it's the hub, you can put the drum back on and two lug nuts at the ends of the lug bolts. Grab the drum and pull hard and fast hitting the lug nuts a few times to break it free. Of course I assume all the backing plate bolts are out so the axle can slide.

Remove as much rust as possible with wire brush, sand paper. Soak the area with a good rust penetrating fluid. Let set overnight. With wheel jacked up so it can spin start engine and put in gear. get tire rotating, then jam on brakes. Leave the lug nuts on but backed off a couple turns. May have to do this several times. If you have positrac then have both rear wheels off ground. There is a potential for damage here so keep the area clear, no kids, etc.Spin wheel both ways, forward and back.

I don't know what kind of rim you have but I would jack it up....take the lugs off.....spray penetrating oil in the holes of the lug bolts.....spray penetrating oil on the front (if you can get at it) of the brake drum.....let it soak.

Get a wooden block and a BFH....put the block agaist the back of the rim and give it a few good shots.....a helper rotating the wheel would come in handy  :thumbsup:   . :MJ 1: .

So I'm trying to pull the rear axle on my 91 but I can't get the PS rear wheel off for the life of me. I've gone as far as hitting the tire from the inside with a sledge and still nothing. Anyone who's run into this before have any tips?

I had to do that a couple of years ago. Three out of four came off after a couple of whacks on the tire with a hand-held (2-pound IIRC) sledge. The fourth was welded in place. I used a full-size sledge and beat it off, but I had to destroy the wheel in the process.

Try removing the lug nuts and spray around them liberally with PB Blaster. Spray the center hole-to-hub interface liberally. And poke the long wand nozzle in between the rim and the brake drum and try to soak the whole interface. Let it soak overnight, then hammer on it in the morning.

I tried all the above and finally rigged up a puller on the hub when that didn't work by itself,  I had to put a huge amount of tension on the puller, and then I got a vibrating hammer drill type of thing and made a blunt tip and let it go all around the inner part if the rim. Eventually, it popped off with a bang. And yes be careful, it can be under a lot of tension when it finally lets go.

I had one stuck on my old MJ that would not come off no matter what I did. Finally I had to resort to a bit of a sketchy method of using a Highlift jack and 2x4 between the two rims. I jacked until it finally pooped and shot across the driveway. 

I'm just gonna try the pb blaster first. I thought about pulling the shaft and wheel in one unit, but the d35 decided to be it's typical self and implode. I can't get access to the c clip, so might have to get creative getting it out.