Engine Flush That's Not "quick"

So I have the nice new PermaDry valve cover gasket for my 88 4.0. I want to change it soon because after a drive on the highway I can smell the oil burning off the exhaust.

Anywho, I have the new gasket, and I will also cut down the breather vents as per cruiser's instructions. The thing is I know that the underside of the valve cover most likely has sludge and crap built up on it.

Considering my truck wasn't taken all that great care of by previous owners, I was thinking that I'd put in some sort of "engine flush" and run it for maybe 100 miles or whatever prior to taking the cover off, in the hopes of cleaning up that valve cover.

I've seen the quick flushes where you dump it in the crankcase, then idle the engine for 15 minutes, and drain. Well I want something I can add to the engine and not have to change the oil right away. The oil is fairly fresh as it is.

What is a good product to add in there, and keep in there for another couple thousand miles? Yeah I know, don't overfill the engine.

So I have the nice new PermaDry valve cover gasket for my 88 4.0. I want to change it soon because after a drive on the highway I can smell the oil burning off the exhaust.

Anywho, I have the new gasket, and I will also cut down the breather vents as per cruiser's instructions. The thing is I know that the underside of the valve cover most likely has sludge and crap built up on it.

Considering my truck wasn't taken all that great care of by previous owners, I was thinking that I'd put in some sort of "engine flush" and run it for maybe 100 miles or whatever prior to taking the cover off, in the hopes of cleaning up that valve cover.

I've seen the quick flushes where you dump it in the crankcase, then idle the engine for 15 minutes, and drain. Well I want something I can add to the engine and not have to change the oil right away. The oil is fairly fresh as it is.

What is a good product to add in there, and keep in there for another couple thousand miles? Yeah I know, don't overfill the engine.

IIRC seafoam can be added to the oil & ran for a few hundred miles just fine.

Well I popped off my oil fill cap today to inspect. It's surprisingly clean in there, no visible sludge. Some baked on black stuff but better than I was expecting.

Since I had a half a can of Seafoam sitting around, I added about 1/4 of the can into the crankcase. I didn't want to put too much in there as I don't plan on changing the oil soon. Maybe once it starts getting colder I'll put more Seafoam in soon before I change it and go to 5W30 for winter.