Developed A Knock, Looking For Some Insight

Recently got the wife an '04 Liberty, so I've been running her Neon as my DD. The Comanche sat for about a month until the tranny went out in my brothers Ram. I let him borrow it, and about 2-3 weeks later, it's developed this knock. I've gotten some opinions about what it could be, but wanted to see what you guys thought. '86 2.5.

Not sure how long it'd been knocking before I found out, my Dad was actually the one that heard it and told him about it. He added a quart of Lubriguard 15w-40 diesel oil about 2 days before they noticed this. Any insight or opinions is appreciated, guys.

Also, if the motor is in fact on the way out, what are some good options? Rebuild? Another 2.5? Some other swap?

Sort of hard to tell from the video but my '87 2.5 developed a scary sounding knock/rattle that turned out to be a bad lifter.  The lifters on the 2.5 are replaceable without pulling the head and they're fairly cheap.

If it sat for a while & then started making noise that's something to investigate.  How's the oil pressure?  Would be a good time to get a mechanic's stethoscope as well.

Hard to be positive but I put the ear phones on and I would say that it really sounds like a lifter.

Before you tear it down, try this (I have used this method with success on 2.5 and 4.0 motors).

For about $20 more that an oil change (about $30 for the extreme way) it can add years to your motors life.

Dr. YXMJ’s Oil Wash…

There are 2 ways 2 do this the quick way and the extreme (right) way…

1. Quick Way Go to your low budget auto supply store (Walmart??) and buy the cheapest motor oil and filter you can find. Also buy a high quality (I run 10W30 synthetic oil and filter)
  2. Go home and check your oil…..I would assume it is down ½ -1 quart
  3. Add (here is where different recipes come into play) your choice to top up….ATF….Sea-foam (my favorite)…..Diesel fuel….
  4. Run the truck up to operating temp shut off and safely and carefully change the oil as usual.
  5. Change to cheap filter and add cheap oil…….(here is where some more sea-form is nice).
  6. Go for a drive or run the motor for 20 min.
  7. Shut off and safely and carefully change the oil as usual.
  8. Now add the good oil(10w30) with a new good filter……..Did that solve it?

1. Extreme Way Go to your low budget auto supply store (Wal-mart??) and buy 2 complete changes of the cheapest motor oil and  2 filters you can find.
  2. Go home and check your oil…..I would assume it is down ½ -1 quart
  3. Add (here is where different recipes come into play) your choice to top up….ATF….Sea-foam…..Diesel fuel….(I love the sea-foam)
  4. Run the truck up to operating temp shut off and safely and carefully change the oil as usual.
  5. Change to cheap filter and add cheap oil…….(here is where some more sea-form is nice).
  6. Go for a drive or run the motor for 20 min.
  7. Shut off and safely and carefully Drain the oil
  8. Now drop the oil-pan and remove the valve cover….take both to your parts washer or a least a tub with some Varsole (you single guys can use the kitchen sink….the married ones know better) and clean both until you are willing to eat eggs out of them. (If you want now is a good time to add some fresh paint).
  9. Replace both with new gaskets or high quality RV silicon.
  10. Change to your second cheap filter and top up with NEW cheap oil.
  11. Drive down to the auto parts store and buy a high quality  (I run 10W30 synthetic) oil and filter. Listen to you motor….is it getting better??
  12. At home drain out that new cheap oil and change the filter to the good one….fill up with the synthetic

I hope this Helps someone out there  :thumbsup: