Assortment Of Questions Regarding My 2.5L

I revised my CAI and I have a ZJ pump waiting, will post pics when done.

We need a 2.5 gathering spot.

Today I replaced my RMS, tomorrow a new clutch and newer trans.

A 2.5 section WOULD be awesome. Everytime I do a search in the tech section, I have to sift through pages before I find something semi-appropriate.

A 2.5 section WOULD be awesome. Everytime I do a search in the tech section, I have to sift through pages before I find something semi-appropriate.

That would be great if they added that.

We need a 2.5 gathering spot.

Would be a great section, i have owned a slue of Jeeps 90% being 4.0L but just picked up a 87 MJ 2.5L thats completely stock and would love to see 2.5L TBI information.

Sorry for the Hijack, back to topic

More hijack...

The CAI I used was one from a Mazda 3 that got reverted back to stock. The tube size was perfect and allowed me to use the original rubberboot at the throttle body cap. I trimmed the tube as needed and made a support bracket for it. I there may be a few pics in my buried build thread "Comanche Limited".

I do plan to get power steering eventually. I just want to get my truck in operation as quick as possible.  Ill do the power steering upgrade later this summer.  And as for replacing the water pump, I made sure I ordered the correct one.  I had to get the reverse rotating one, I have a single serpentine belt. 

Image Not Found

Just changed my gear oil. I do have a 4.56 gear.  had markings with 41-9...41/9 = 4.5555...   Getting my water pump in the mail this week sometime, looking forward to putting everything back together and see whether my overheating problem is fixed. I certainly hope so.  Then I will test out pulling that boat trailer.  Thanks again guys for the help.

I do plan to get power steering eventually. I just want to get my truck in operation as quick as possible.  Ill do the power steering upgrade later this summer.  And as for replacing the water pump, I made sure I ordered the correct one.  I had to get the reverse rotating one, I have a single serpentine belt. 

Image Not Found

Awesome.  So you got this from a ZJ?  How easy was it and what all parts did you get?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I have an Update with the condition of my truck. Hopefully someone will see this cause I need a lot of help.

I will try and be as descriptive as possible.

So I think I am still having an overheating problem or multiple problems. I have replaced the thermostat and the waterpump, with a correct direction waterpump for the turpentine belt and the tstat is a 195 like stock. When it overheated the first time and boiled over, I drove for maybe 1 hour when it was one of the hotter days at the beginning of summer. So after replacing the pump last weekend, I drove it today for about thirty minutes, and as I was driving and mostly after I was driving for a little while, I had really low power compared to when my truck was operating normally. Acceleration was really slow, as when I would put the petal all the way down it was only creeping to speed, and can tell a lot slower. After parking and looking at the engine, I notice oil running down from the oil filler cap. I was having a valve cover leak from the bolts earlier as well and i replaced and got a new gasket when i replaced the water. there are no more leaks out the sides. but now its leaking from the cap, I pulled off the cap and a fair amount of smoke was coming from it. I ran the engine at idle and pulled the oil cap off, and there was quite a bit of air being blown from it as the engine was running, is this normal??? It seems there is a lot of pressure in my engine. So the symptoms i think I am having are low power/slow acceleration, its running hot, and a lot pressure in the engine, causing the air and slight oil to escape from the oil cap. My guesses of what it could be is maybe a clogged exhaust maybe a clogged cat converter? the muffler was replaced a year ago. Maybe a head, or head gasket issue? or maybe a vacuum issue? Or I have yet to replace the radiator, and after driving today I took the cap off the radiator and there was brown gunk at the top, and I just put in new coolant, need a new radiator? what do you guys think or suggest my next step should be?

Okay I have an Update with the condition of my truck. Hopefully someone will see this cause I need a lot of help.

I will try and be as descriptive as possible.

So I think I am still having an overheating problem or multiple problems. I have replaced the thermostat and the waterpump, with a correct direction waterpump for the turpentine belt and the tstat is a 195 like stock. When it overheated the first time and boiled over, I drove for maybe 1 hour when it was one of the hotter days at the beginning of summer. So after replacing the pump last weekend, I drove it today for about thirty minutes, and as I was driving and mostly after I was driving for a little while, I had really low power compared to when my truck was operating normally. Acceleration was really slow, as when I would put the petal all the way down it was only creeping to speed, and can tell a lot slower. After parking and looking at the engine, I notice oil running down from the oil filler cap. I was having a valve cover leak from the bolts earlier as well and i replaced and got a new gasket when i replaced the water. there are no more leaks out the sides. but now its leaking from the cap, I pulled off the cap and a fair amount of smoke was coming from it. I ran the engine at idle and pulled the oil cap off, and there was quite a bit of air being blown from it as the engine was running, is this normal??? It seems there is a lot of pressure in my engine. So the symptoms i think I am having are low power/slow acceleration, its running hot, and a lot pressure in the engine, causing the air and slight oil to escape from the oil cap. My guesses of what it could be is maybe a clogged exhaust maybe a clogged cat converter? the muffler was replaced a year ago. Maybe a head, or head gasket issue? or maybe a vacuum issue? Or I have yet to replace the radiator, and after driving today I took the cap off the radiator and there was brown gunk at the top, and I just put in new coolant, need a new radiator? what do you guys think or suggest my next step should be?

Try taking out the radiator and put a water hose to it and drain as much as you can through it...after that do it through the engine...

What else have you done by far for maintenance on This truck?

Thats what I'm gonna do,  maybe get to it tomorrow. 

Ive had the truck for 1 year, got it this time last summer, and since then ive put maybe 3k miles on it or less.  Ive replaced fuel filter, cap/rotor, battery, oil/oil filter, spark plugs, CPS, thermostat, tstat housing, radiator cap.  Ive done things that werent too hard and that I could do, since I am not auto mechanic savvy,, but Ive been learning.  I had no problems all year until it got warmer. 

our 2.5 oil filler caps are crap. take a piece of bicycle inner tube and make a gasket for your cap. worked for mine. if the gunk in your coolant tank is floating, that don't sound good to me. if it was all water it would be brown water but if it's floating on top, sounds like oil. 

Its not like oil, its more of just rust particles maybe?

The car before last year sat in a drive way a couple years.  Not sure last time someone replaced radiator fluid

I'm gonna pull my radiator out and run a hose through and see if I can see if more comes out. and flush everything