Something Loose In The Front End

Firstly, I've searched all over for the answer, but haven't been successful.

After lowering the lift on my truck from six inches to three inches, there has been something amiss in the front end. It can best be described as a slight clunk that is most noticeable when the truck hits a bump. It feels like a loose suspension bolt, but everything is tight.

Yesterday, I jacked up the left front tire and when I grab the tire at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions, there is a slight movement which I'm pretty sure is my problem.

I believe if there is movement with your hands at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions, that would suggest worn ball joints. But what would cause movement at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions?

And this is only on the left front tire. There is no movement on the right front tire.

My buddy tried to eyeball the problem as I rocked the tire, but couldn't see or feel anything wrong. I thought maybe it was a bad unit bearing, but I tried putting on a different one with the same result.

Firstly, I've searched all over for the answer, but haven't been successful.

After lowering the lift on my truck from six inches to three inches, there has been something amiss in the front end. It can best be described as a slight clunk that is most noticeable when the truck hits a bump. It feels like a loose suspension bolt, but everything is tight.

Yesterday, I jacked up the left front tire and when I grab the tire at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions, there is a slight movement which I'm pretty sure is my problem.

I believe if there is movement with your hands at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions, that would suggest worn ball joints. But what would cause movement at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions?

And this is only on the left front tire. There is no movement on the right front tire.

Mine did the exact same thing, it was the axle U-joint.

Same movement and slight clunking noise here Johnny. It just started a couple of weeks ago. I've tightened the crap out of everything underneath and it still clunks slightly when rolling over bumps, mostly on the right side. The only movement I could see was by jacking up each wheel separately, sliding a long 2x4 under the tire, and lifting up and down while a helper is observing the upper and lower ball joints. Had slight movement in all. I have new Mopar ball joints and they are going in next week. AAARG.........

Same movement and slight clunking noise here Johnny. It just started a couple of weeks ago. I've tightened the crap out of everything underneath and it still clunks slightly when rolling over bumps, mostly on the right side. The only movement I could see was by jacking up each wheel separately, sliding a long 2x4 under the tire, and lifting up and down while a helper is observing the upper and lower ball joints. Had slight movement in all. I have new Mopar ball joints and they are going in next week. AAARG.........

My ball joints are also relatively new, Don. I tried what you said and there was no play.

I've been thinking about this all day and realized that I can't remember the last time I changed the axle u-joints. So Jeep Driver is probably right. Can't wait to get home in an hour and check them out.

What sway end links? :) Haven't had a sway bar for over a year. But I'll be putting it back on soon.

Well, it wasn't the axle u-joints. So the search for the culprit continues. I'm in the process of building a new Dana 30. So hopefully somewhere along the line, the problem will be solved.

Don't want to steal Johnny's thread, but I found my noise maker. The nut was 1-1/2 turns loose on the track bar frame end where in mounts in the bracket cup. This is a castle nut with a cotter pin, so I never checked it originally. I must have been lazy or feeling weak when I installed the adjustable track bar a couple of years ago. So far, no more popping. But I suspect the mounting hole in the bracket maybe got wallowed out unless I caught it in time.

If so, what's the fix for this? New frame brackets are probably unobtainium by now, so is the fix to weld the hole shut then redrill?

Don't want to steal Johnny's thread, but I found my noise maker. The nut was 1-1/2 turns loose on the track bar frame end where in mounts in the bracket cup. This is a castle nut with a cotter pin, so I never checked it originally. I must have been lazy or feeling weak when I installed the adjustable track bar a couple of years ago. So far, no more popping. But I suspect the mounting hole in the bracket maybe got wallowed out unless I caught it in time.

If so, what's the fix for this? New frame brackets are probably unobtainium by now, so is the fix to weld the hole shut then redrill?

Do you mean the trackbar bracket on the frame side?

If so, I'm pretty sure they're bolted on from the factory. Maybe a Junkyard visit to score a new one? I know a lot of aftermarket companies make their own with their own adjustable track bars.

A junkyard visit isn't going to score a new one. A different one, but not new. I realize there are plenty of HD aftermarket track bar brackets for the XJ, but most are proprietary, i.e. you have to use their track bar, or to drop the bar, or they are for large lifts. Anyone know of a HD aftermarket bracket that will replace the stock piece and you can use the track bar of your choice?