Door Upgrades

Hi folks

I have an 89 Pioneer and I just bought a set of doors from a 98 Cherokee to upgrade. The windows and locks are all electrical. Is it easier to convert it back to the old roll ups or to hook up the windows electrically. The door locks I'm not worried about as they have manual switches on the inside. If so, how do I do it.

Thanks very much! :bowdown:

Somewhere on here I did a write up for creating your own harness to get the windows/lock/mirrors to work on the newer style doors.  I tried to search for it but couldn't find it.   It has the pinouts of all the connectors in it and what is needed to hook them up.  

Sorry that's not really a help, but the info is here if you can find it.  I'll try searching again tonight for it.

This has been covered several times here.  Don has a drawing for the cross body harness.  JP magazine did an article with a ComancheClub member, it spelled out wire colors and everything.  Can not think of member name.  But he is in Orange County.  The write up is also here, in the DIY forum, I "think".

Try this thread for a start:  http://comancheclub.com/topic/36096-97-doors/?hl=power+windows

I will post more links as I find them

I installed power windows in my rig using the same doors and made my own harnesses. The wiring is the same for both basically. I don't consider the newer doors an "upgrade" unless you do the whole dash with it. But that's just me.  :thumbsup:

Thanks very much for the help guys. :thumbsup:  I'm new here so I haven't browsed topics much. Believe me...it's an upgrade. I have a basic Pioneer (All manual) and the doors are ugly. They are a rusted poop brown. The newer doors and front end are all gloss black which is a great starter for my planned custom paint job on my 89/98 MJ. I'll do some more research. :)

not to hijack the forum but....

I want a set of doors without wing windows. They are loud and leak and I'm tired of it. Both sets of doors I have do it. There is an XJ in the school lot with replaced doors that doesn't have wing windows. Guy doesn't know what they came off of, spare set came with it. Anyone got ideas? Was it a trim package or lack of package? Years? Thanks

97-01 XJ, which is what the OP is asking about. That was the main reason I swapped doors for the newer ones. With the early doors, the glass is so small. You can't lay your arm on the sill and the vertical piece of the wing window is smack dab in the middle of your view in the side mirror. It's nice having the full size window opening.

I installed power windows in my rig using the same doors and made my own harnesses. The wiring is the same for both basically. I don't consider the newer doors an "upgrade" unless you do the whole dash with it. But that's just me.  :thumbsup:

I'm curious. Why the dash as well? To be honest, I haven't spent any real time inside of a XJ that's post-96.

97-01 XJ, which is what the OP is asking about. That was the main reason I swapped doors for the newer ones. With the early doors, the glass is so small. You can't lay your arm on the sill and the vertical piece of the wing window is smack dab in the middle of your view in the side mirror. It's nice having the full size window opening.

This.

I'm curious. Why the dash as well? To be honest, I haven't spent any real time inside of a XJ that's post-96.

The old style dash and newer door panels are of different styles and don't look "right" together. 

Never noticed that Johnny.  :hmm:   I wouldn't mind switching to the newer larger mirrors, but unfortunately I've never seen them in chrome. I like my wing windows too.  :thumbsup:  To each his own............

The old style dash and newer door panels are of different styles and don't look "right" together. 

Never noticed that Johnny.  :hmm:   I wouldn't mind switching to the newer larger mirrors, but unfortunately I've never seen them in chrome. I like my wing windows too.  :thumbsup:  To each his own............

Ah... I see. Meh. I personally LIKE the bare bones dash my Heep has. It's a nice change from the ZJ. BTW, I like wing windows too. They come in handy in the rain. :)