Dana 44 Differential Cover W. Drain

HOrnbrod

I have only seen the standard covers with only fill plugs, I know aftermarket covers will have a drain plug.  I don't see a problem with taking a factory cover and having a drain port added.

I remember seeing one like this one on Ebay. The below is on Summit advertised with a drain. But it's not a drain plug, just a magnetic plug sticking on the case.

OMX-1659586_ml.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/omx-1659586/overview/

Damn, wish I'd known about that last summer. I was up in Winnipeg disposing of some wheat land my brother-in-law owned up near Gimli. Nice country. The white tail deer up there make ours look like small goats.  :yes:

Wouldn't be too hard to weld up a bung and tap it with npt threads.

But go to Manitoba, the deer would be worth the trip.

Yeah, enjoyed it up there - good folks, eh?  I know it's easy, just surprised that no major modern manufacturer, like Dana, Omix, etc. that makes the OEM steel diff covers doesn't make one with a drain plug. They did in the old days, as well as a torque converter drains, AT and pan drains, etc. Cost cutting I guess...........

Cutting costs and the fact that very few people any more know how to drain their fluids... or even known that it could be done, or that they would even have a reason for it. This service review form was in r/justrolledintotheshop a while back.

IoVIRAf.jpg

'Toba's not bad outside of Winnipeg. But it's much better the other side of that jagged line  ;) Either way, this is a pretty decent corner of the world.

Also, back on topic, that link you posted, what is it about the magnetic plug that makes it not a drain plug? It looks like a drain plug, and they're calling it a drain plug... a magnetic plug would just be a drain plug that collects metal filings, like the one in the tranny pan or sometimes the engine oil pan, would it not?

I ordered this cover from Amazon. It was Dana/Spicer p/n 16595.86, and before ordering called some idiot at D/S to confirm if this p/n did have a drain plug; he said yes. I received it, it had no drain, just one bung hole at the filler location and the one 3/8" NPT magnetic plug. I immediately returned it.....................

At work we weld a 1/2" fine thread nut and use a short 1/2" long bolt with a coper washer on it for the drain , we install them on tranny pans and diff covers as well and as long the weld is done right it doesn't leak a drop !