95 Xj 89Mj Tail Light Harness Integration?

Was wondering if someone had a wiring diagram for integrating both harnesses together so both turn signals work with the brake on . due to the fact that one has independent turn signals and the other doesnt thanks in advance Adam

Do you have the 89 or 95 steering column?

http://comancheclub.com/topic/18588-xj-dash-harness-to-rear-mj-harness-wiring-guides/

The top chart should work, If you have your stock steering column.

If you swapped in the 95's column, Check the second to last post - On page two.

Yes blue mj id thought about doing that but it just wouldn't look right (I have OCD and it would annoy the ---- out of me threes gotta be a way to make them both work I have yet to read the link that lee posted thanks any other ideas

Take off your Mutli-Function / Turn Signal / Hazard / Call it w/e you want switch, And run your brake switch straight to pin #14

2wppmp2.png

I had the same issue ages ago, Took me a ton of searching to figure this out

I did mine the easy way and separated the bulbs in the back.   I have one bulb for brake and one for turn now.

How is re-doing the back lights, easier then running a single cable two feet into an empty pinout? O.o

Thanks Lee I read the post just wanted to make sure that everything will work as it should after I do this . They won't interfere with eachother? I was thinking that it might backfeed through the wires if not I really appreciate the help

Everything will work how its intended.

That pinout brings the brake-lights through the turn signal switch, So it functions properly. Something like that.

Did it myself ages ago, Never had a problem ^_^

Yes blue mj id thought about doing that but it just wouldn't look right (I have OCD and it would annoy the ---- out of me threes gotta be a way to make them both work I have yet to read the link that lee posted thanks any other ideas

What wouldn't "look" right?

Personally, I think the MJ setup is idiotic. The 4-way flashers completely disable both the turn signals AND the brake lights. Now that's just plain dumb -- and Jeep obviously knew how to do it differently since they managed to keep the 4-ways separate from the brakes in the XJ.

I think it's much safer to have the hazards and brake lights separate.

So this is why the hazard lights go solid whenever I step on the brakes? I kinda had plans to tackle that issue within the next month or so... but I guess it's not an issue...

No, You have a wire crossed or incorrectly done.. Even with your foot on the brakes, Your flashers should still flash normaly.

Take off your Mutli-Function / Turn Signal / Hazard / Call it w/e you want switch, And run your brake switch straight to pin #14

2wppmp2.png

I had the same issue ages ago, Took me a ton of searching to figure this out

I did mine the easy way and separated the bulbs in the back. I have one bulb for brake and one for turn now.

How is re-doing the back lights, easier then running a single cable two feet into an empty pinout? O.o

I didn't say it was easier. Just another option. Plus he would maintain a functioning brake light on both sides as well as a turn signal this way.

So this is why the hazard lights go solid whenever I step on the brakes? I kinda had plans to tackle that issue within the next month or so... but I guess it's not an issue...

No, You have a wire crossed or incorrectly done.. Even with your foot on the brakes, Your flashers should still flash normaly.

K, thanks. Doesn't really surprise me though.. The tail light harness is a bit of a botched attempt at a rats nest, but beyond that it seemed to be working normally so I didn't really want to get into it. But a recent electrical fire has me a little paranoid about bad wiring. But now I know I need to do more than reconstruct what is there. Thanks!

• 6 years later...
2 hours ago, Pete M said:

have you checked the link in my signature?

The DIY link? I have been searching the forum and everything is either pre-95 or 97+. I havent found anything on 96 xj harness. I might do a trial by fire and figure out. I just trying to decided which would be easier, extending the xj harness or splicing the xj harness into the mj oem tail light harness

36 minutes ago, Swampy said:

The DIY link? I have been searching the forum and everything is either pre-95 or 97+. I haven't found anything on 96 xj harness. I might do a trial by fire and figure out. I just trying to decided which would be easier, extending the xj harness or splicing the xj harness into the mj oem tail light harness

I did some poking around the interwebs and it appears that 96 really is a mix of 95 and 97.  :dunno:  can't find anything that definitively states the rear harness uses one or the other year's colors.

37 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I mean, it's still just a matter of splicing the XJ harness into the MJ rear harness connector.  you just gotta figure out which wire is which. :)  I would start with the 95 info and see how much matches up.  :L:  

Do I have to use the pass. side tailight harness at all of the cherokee or can everything be done through the driver side?

I would retrieve as much of the XJ harness as I could and see if it reaches to the MJ's rear harness connector.  If not, than you'll need to extend it.  but then you can splice it into that MJ connector and still retain the ability to separate the taillight harness in the future. :L:  beyond that the link in my sig should have how other owners have spliced in to make the turns signals work.