Shimmy Into Death Wobble

What's up guys

I've been having this lingering shimmy turning into death wobble within the speeds of 35-45mph but if I accelerate the wobble goes away...at first I thought it was tire balance with turbine wheels at the time and it still didn't fix the problem...I just recently changed to steel wheels and it still the same problem...with in the last few months I've changed ALL my tie rod ends and the beginning of last year changed all 4 ball joints, both hub bearings, brakes, calipers, the only thing I couldn't change at the time were the axle shaft u-joints...

Just this past weekend I took off my front driveshaft to see if the shaft was the cause of the problem and no luck....

any other causes that can lead to this?

Anything loose or worn can cause it your just going to have look around. I assume the tires were ballanced when the rims were changed. And you are the first person I have ever heard of driving out of a death wobble. Most people mess up their pants while trying to get stopped. LOL

What's up guys

I've been having this lingering shimmy turning into death wobble within the speeds of 35-45mph but if I accelerate the wobble goes away...

It's NOT death wobble if you can drive it long enough to accelerate through it. In fact, I don't think it is possible to accelerate death wobble away. You have tire shimmy, which is caused by poor tire balance.

One does NOT accelerate when death wobble strikes. One holds on for dear life, hits the brakes, and prays.

Anything loose or worn can cause it your just going to have look around. I assume the tires were ballanced when the rims were changed. And you are the first person I have ever heard of driving out of a death wobble. Most people mess up their pants while trying to get stopped. LOL

My question X2.......If it goes away when you accelerate over 45.....the tire balance would be the first place I would look.... :dunno:

Eagle

I've experience a bit of death wobble with this truck already...it happens from time to time where the shimmy turns to a huge shake that all I can do is brake instead of accerlarate...but when the shimmy is small I accerlarate to get rid of it...I will try to do the tire balance at another shop to see if that helps

87warrior

I will check my track bar bushing and bolt and also my control arm bushings for any looseness

When I had this issue with mine, I did an alignment on it and added more caster, I havent had it since, the other parts were checked as good or replaced already. The caster adjustment is at the rear of the lower control arms, spec is between 6.5 and 7.5 degrees positve. Getting toe right will help as well. When you do a lift all these angles change, and need to be adjusted properly to drive right.

Update

What's up guys just to end this thread

I ended up balancing the front tires at another shop and no more shimmy...but I do need an alignment though but that's when money allows itself

The camber is not adjustable, and the caster is not easily adjustable. (Well, it's not rocket science, but you need special shims and they aren't available through the parts chains.)

The only adjustment most alignment shops actually change on XJs and MJs is the toe-in, and you can do that in your driveway with a tape measure.

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoAlignment.htm

As of a couple years ago the caster shims were still available from the dealer. I know many of you are averse to going there but it is still an option. I know wheel balance is first and foremost with this issue but if caster is where it should be it will make it much more difficult for the wobble to get started.