Windshield Rubber Molding And Rear Slider Molding

Hey everyone, I am getting to the point with my MJ that I will be replacing the front windshield and rear slider and had a few questions. I recently removed what felt like 20+ lbs of PO rtv around the windshield frame which destroyed all of the plastic clips. As you can assume the RTV caused rust around the windshield frame (big surprise) and it has been treated with POR-15, yada yada.

Anyways,. being as the plastic trim clips are all spent and replacement ones cost about 15$ (teamcherokee.com), I was thinking of doing the rubber seal which is a few bucks more. My question is, how is the seal held in place? I am guessing with windshield sealant, which would be great since I am having the windshield replaced. Anything else need to be done to get it in place? 

My next question is regarding the rear slider gasket. I have looked high and low for a replacement seal as my rear slider is completely shot and mostly plexiglass so ill be replacing it with a new slider. I have not been able to find the seal through any distributor and am dreading calling the dealership for it. Anyone have any advice on tracking one down? 

On a similar note, I did track down the specifics on my moon roof model and will be ordering up a new one this week! Thanks in advance everyone,

RockMJ

We replaced the old windshield mounting system (sealant and plastic clips holding metal trim) with the XJ 97+ windshield gasket. As I watched the installer put it in, he placed the gasket around the glass edge and then used sealant to hold it and the windshield in place. He did not remove the metal pins for the plastic clips first.

I am unaware of anyplace that sells the rear window/slider gaskets (unless they come with a replacement slider, which I believe are hard to find). I pulled a spare gasket off a PaP MJ last year...its the only way I could find one.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I will likely be picking up the rubber gasket for the windshield since its pretty straight forward. As for the rear slider, I have the teamcherokee (CRLaurence) rear slider on order. It does not come with the gasket, I asked. They did say that its nearly impossible to find one as Mopar discontinued it some time ago. I knew about removing and reusing the gasket, I am just worried its going to turn to crap when taking it out. Florida heat has not been kind to any of the seals on the MJ but I will try my best. Likely coat it in something like WD-40 to help ease it out. Thanks guys,

RockMJ

Possible option. http://teamcherokee.com/rear-back-slider-tinted-glass-assembly-jeep-comanche-pickup19861992/   

12697-TSW1700S2__92790.1356994450.1280.1

But he's looking for the gasket (which is actually just trim, since it doesn't provide the weather seal), and this replacement window specifies that it does NOT come with the weatherstrip.

In passing, I also think it's sort of disingenuous (as in "a lie") for them to call this a direct replacement when it isn't even close. The original has three panels; this has four. The original used curved glass, and I'll bet this uses flat glass.

It might work sort of okay and it might be sort of half decent but -- direct replacement? I think not.

Possible option. http://teamcherokee.com/rear-back-slider-tinted-glass-assembly-jeep-comanche-pickup19861992/   

12697-TSW1700S2__92790.1356994450.1280.1

But he's looking for the gasket (which is actually just trim, since it doesn't provide the weather seal), and this replacement window specifies that it does NOT come with the weatherstrip.

In passing, I also think it's sort of disingenuous (as in "a lie") for them to call this a direct replacement when it isn't even close. The original has three panels; this has four. The original used curved glass, and I'll bet this uses flat glass.

It might work sort of okay and it might be sort of half decent but -- direct replacement? I think not.

I've ordered several items from Team Cherokee. My experience has been without incident, however, I agree that the picture shown is not an original Comanche unit which is also stated in the product description. The wording is misleading, or at least confusing. The sentence stating that the seal is not included is immediately followed by "get it here and now...". This reference is apparently to the window, not a seal. :hmm:

RockMJ said his slider was completely shot, mostly plexiglass, and that he'd be replacing it. I was trying to be helpful by sharing the unit as a possible option. The last thing I'd want to be party to is misinformation...sorry if I was Eagle. There's already too much available.   

Okay, I guess the OP is looking for both a window unit and a weatherstrip gasket.

The originals are tough. I have one that needs one side pane and the center piece. I was going to have a friend who owns a glass shop make them up ... until I looked at it closely and realized that the glass is NOT flat. That complicates matters tremendously.

I'm not sure how the rubber trim gasket relates to the window unit, but the gasket is not what holds the window into the body. It's glued in with urethane adhesive.

Okay, I guess the OP is looking for both a window unit and a weatherstrip gasket.

The originals are tough. I have one that needs one side pane and the center piece. I was going to have a friend who owns a glass shop make them up ... until I looked at it closely and realized that the glass is NOT flat. That complicates matters tremendously.

I'm not sure how the rubber trim gasket relates to the window unit, but the gasket is not what holds the window into the body. It's glued in with urethane adhesive.

Are you referring to the original stock window?

Does anyone have any pics or writeup regarding the removal and installation of the rear window?

I will be taking mine out for paint.

Hey everyone. Yeah, the gasket is more of a trim piece and impossible to get new. I like to get my stuff new if at all possible but its looking like I will be carefully removing the old one, cleaning it up and reusing it. The window pictured on teamcherokee's website is for a J-10. The J truck windows were flat from what I can remember and yes the MJ's have a small curve to them. I thought myself of replacing the pieces broken with glass but remembered quickly that they are not flat. I will have to call teamcherokee and see if the CRLaurence window is curved to match the oem fit and finish. I seriously doubt it, but either way its better than having an easily accessible cab to would be thieves. 

64 Cheyenne, your write-up is what I found originally when I was looking a while back and its been bookmarked for future reference. You did a fantastic job of helping the rest of us through the process. Not sure how well removing the old, shot to sh*t, moonroof will go but I was able to track down the manufacturer so I will be replacing that here shortly as well. Next step is tracking down the proper install materials and adhesives for the job. Thanks everyone,

RockMJ