Back, To Stay

JeepcoMJ

Well I'm sure some of you know that I pretty much threw everything MJ out the window awhile back.

With the sad state of repair on my 86, the 3800, due more to a terrible paint job and body work and my own irrational driving behavior at the time, I stripped everything that made the truck what it is, and scrapped the shell.    It would have needed doors, floors, bed, hood, fenders, grille, flares, and some interior work...much less fixing the crank in the buick 3800 I dropped in it, or converting the trans over from ax5 to ax15.

My brother's truck was in no better condition, needing a lot of work, but at least being all there.

In the end, I just stopped worrying about it.  The space was more necessary than the headache of repairing either truck, so I focused on starting my own business instead.

As it is, I'm doing very well...I rebuild Meyer snow plow pumps.  nothing more, nothing less, at better prices than most places, including more.   It's taken off cross-country for me with the amount of mail order rebuilds I've had.

With all of that in mind, it's time to look at the long haul.   I need a truck again.   While I could go out and buy a "cheap" fullsize...I don't know them like the back of my hand.   And, frankly, I would only want an 06 duramax club cab longbed with the works for interior and exterior.   To the tune of $40k or better...no thanks.   I don't tow enough heavy things to need that right now.

So, the search has begun.    As my business is a winter business, I will have "summer projects".   This summer, rebuild two MJ's to perfection, just in time to put them away for the winter.

I'm more excited for this than I have been for quite some time.   It should be interesting.

MJ #1

Bro's 88 pioneer MT LWB 4x4

4.0 stroked to 4.6, convert to external slave ax15 and nv242

power everything, split rear

rebuild body.   It's at 3.5" lift and 32" tires.

Color scheme:  burgundy/maroon metal flake with grey pioneer stripes, grey leather interior.

MJ#2

86? MJ chassis (unsure, will take what I get that is rust free)  LWB and 4x4.

1996 buick 3800 V6 mated to AX15 with Dakota bell (modified for starter on driver's side)

new body.  Eggshell white with black accents and interior.   3" lift with 31x10.50's.

Once I find the new bodies, projects  will begin.

That sounds encouraging, I too have fell into a rut since my Jeep hasn't treated me well since the whole motor debacle.  It's good to hear you are doing well and came to your senses, I just hope a similar situation happens with my deflated feelings about my Comanche.

Last one.   You are not going to reply to me, I am not going to reply to you.   We don't agree on many things, and while I'm sure you have a vast amount of experience (and ARE very knowledgable), you do not compare in regards to history with MJ's.

These have been my lifeblood.   I do not believe there is a single person on the forum who has owned more than me, or sent more to the crusher after saving as many MJ specific parts possible.

Though I can turn a wrench and burn a rod well enough to get though most repairs, I certainly lack the experience that you and others here have to offer. Specific Jeep knowledge is invaluable when working on Jeeps, and my knowledge, as I have mentioned before in other posts, is of a more general kind and not nearly as helpful when there is a specific task at hand.

I hope to benefit from your knowledge, as I am sure many others here will, so please don't be too shy in the future to chime in constructively. Between us, there should be no problem too big to whip. :)

I am beyond needing most people's help on these trucks....there isn't much I haven't done to them, and there is nothing on them that I cannot do or fix.  Not trying to be arrogant, just being honest

So I doubt I will need anything more from you.   I hope you can benefit others.

I am beyond needing most people's help on these trucks....there isn't much I haven't done to them, and there is nothing on them that I cannot do or fix.  Not trying to be arrogant, just being honest

I appreciate when members like yourself even though have little to gain in terms of your own Jeep, offer your knowledge to us noobs.  This site has helped me turn my oil-drippin, gas drinking, brake light-less '87 into a smooth running daily driver.  I have  long ways to go, but now I am getting into the fun part; no longer worried about getting from point A to B.  Thanks again to all the members who feed the noobs.  We can be a pain, but I hope you gain satisfaction in knowing more Comanches remain on the road as a result.

I appreciate when members like yourself even though have little to gain in terms of your own Jeep, offer your knowledge to us noobs.  This site has helped me turn my oil-drippin, gas drinking, brake light-less '87 into a smooth running daily driver.  I have  long ways to go, but now I am getting into the fun part; no longer worried about getting from point A to B.  Thanks again to all the members who feed the noobs.  We can be a pain, but I hope you gain satisfaction in knowing more Comanches remain on the road as a result.

Hey, I like helping you guys out. It can be a bother seeing the same thread topic 4 times in one day, but in the end, it's fun to watch people learn.

Just not fun to have people push buttons or offer information as fact when it is pure speculation.

You know you can block people right?

That, plus even if you don't block them, you are not required to read every post.

And no one forces you to respond to anything that you read, either. Terms of service do limit what you can say when you do choose to respond though, though. ;)

You know you can block people right?

That, plus even if you don't block them, you are not required to read every post.

And no one forces you to respond to anything that you read, either. Terms of service do limit what you can say when you do choose to respond though, though. ;)

Nor are you required to comment on every post they make..

I don't - but it does not bother me either way whether or not I do. Really, I am concerned most with information and its transmission, not who it comes from or whether they like me or not. I like to learn, and I offer what I can in return. I like to know more than just how to fix something, because the better I understand the subject matter behind a problem, the better I can be about how to figure out how to fix it or how to make a product better.

I'd like to think we all have that in common, but I cannot be overly concerned about what other people think, because that is something beyond my control. I will say that I enjoy the company of people who enjoy the journey more than arriving at the destination, but I have no problems with whatever path a person chooses - as long as they don't step on my toes as they go their way and are not malicious about it.

In post number 4, he asked you to not reply on any of his threads (at least that's the way I took it). Please for all our sakes, just do as he asks so we can keep drama here to a minimum. And by "here" I mean the entire forum. I personally don't have any issues with you, I just love this place and like that it is mostly drama free. I'd like to keep it that way.  

No - he TOLD me to, in an ultimatum. Most people don't take well to be ordered around, and I am no exception... but I do take your point.

Besides, I recognize that he has a lot of useful information to offer - I said as much in a number of posts, most recently in #5 above. (My arm is getting tired from offering that olive branch... :D) But that does not make him nor anyone else infallible. When I make a mistake, I thank the person who corrected me for not leaving me in error - that is in fact a kindness. I suggest that accepting criticism in that way is a good approach and just plain good manners, but anyone is free to choose how to do that for himself.

I'd much prefer to work together - we are all on the same team here, right? Besides, the quest for knowledge and some brain exercise is fun. Part of that is presenting ideas and arguing their merits. If we don't consider every opinion and instead invoke censorship (whether self-imposed or by a higher authority) then we limit discourse, which limits our opportunities. So long as we keep it civil, the quest for knowledge should be both fun and profitable, for all participants and all who read thereafter. 

It would make us poorer to limit ourselves, so why not work together and profit from the experience? :)

Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like." Interacting through text falls short of talking - you just can't pick up the nuances of what is being said when it's all just words on a page. Doubtless it's a good thing here to make allowances for that. We would probably all be friends if we drove our MJs someplace and got together for beer and barbecue and focused on what we have in common, so I am all for being friends here too. I just expect it to be a bit harder, that's all.

OYAJI,

I'm stepping on your toes.

get bent.

What you THINK, is less than what I KNOW, when it comes to these trucks.

And here's the problem. EVERY post you have is about THINKING when the KNOWN knowledge is there, and you are pretty much ignoring that fact, filling every post with whimsical BS

Oh? Then you should have no trouble quoting sources to back up your knowledge, right? Anyone can present himself as an expert on the Internet, but the readership finds it hard to distinguish between a true expert and a blowhard if the only supporting evidence for something quoted as gospel is "because I said so". Doubtless you know that.

Personal experience does count for a lot, but everyone should recognize that such is only that of one man and is no more valid than that of another. I look forward to profiting from your experiences and those of others here on the forum. I sincerely do wish we could work together, though that chance seems remote at this time.

why is it that you two can't hash this out in private messages?  You have more in common than you have differences, so do whatever it is you have to do to get past those differences and start playing nicely together.  or start ignoring each other. whatever.  I've stopped caring which of those you choose to so, but pick one.