Leaking From The Block

I have been fighting this problem for what seems like forever now, and I simply do not understand why this is happening. 

Changed out the lower radiator hose on my truck, because the last hose had a bad leak from the top, where it connects the radiator to the block. This is the third time I've done this, and it didn't solve anything, and if nothing else, made the problem worse. 

What's happening is the truck will run fine when operating. It won't leak at all, or at least not that I can see. When it is turned off, no matter if it is for a minute, or 20, the antifreeze will bubble up from around the top of the hose and drip down onto the pavement. 

I've tried clamping the hose every way I can, and nothing changed. Is there some other reason for this happening? Some sort of backpressure problem somewhere? The only other place it leaks coolant would be at the joint leading inside to the heater core. Is this where the problem lies? Would flushing and or replacing the heater core fix this problem?  :dunno:

Couple things I've encountered with rad hoses, although this is not intended to be a cure-all just some suggestions:

Sometimes the end of the hose isn't cut perpendicular to the "nipple" it's shoved onto, so a hose clamp at the absolute end of it may only be clamping part of the hose. Try moving the hose clamp up the hose a bit, away from the engine.

The "nipple" may not be entirely sound. I just ran across someone who claimed to have corrosion/pitting issues on the thermostat housing of his nearly new 4.0 XJ back in the late 80's. Check it for holes and cracks (note that this requires removal of the hose, and you will lose all your coolant if you pull off your lower rad hose). Apparently he fixed it back then by applying a coat of JB weld and it's held up ever since.

The "nipple" may not be entirely sound. I just ran across someone who claimed to have corrosion/pitting issues on the thermostat housing of his nearly new 4.0 XJ back in the late 80's.

:yeah that:  I've seen this personally on dozens of our (old) vehicles/equipment out behind the barn.

the lower radiator hose connects to the water pump on the block side.

Safe assumption that it's not the hose, but is either a bad gasket on the water pump to block seal surface, bad seal on the water pump housing, or corrosion/malformed water pump housing on the sealing surface for the hose.

Safe assumption that it's not the hose, but is either a bad gasket on the water pump to block seal surface, bad seal on the water pump housing, or corrosion/malformed water pump housing on the sealing surface for the hose.

I was thinking it may have had to do with the water pump itself. I've a strange feeling the thing has never been replaced, and have been meaning to get a new one. Seems like it might be beneficial to look into this. 

Not sure what I'll do in the meantime. Appreciate the help everyone.  :cheers:

Yep. I'll bet that's what it is.

one of the first things I do to every vehicle I buy;   coolant flush, water pump replacement, thermostat replacement.

Not out of necessity, but out of peace of mind.    The cooling system cannot operate properly if there are leaks.

And some of us wish they didn't have to learn things like this from experience... the only parts of my cooling system that haven't been replaced due to failure of the parts themselves in the last six months are the heater core, thermostat housing, and the parts that need the cooling...