Low Beams? Yes. High Beams? No.

Been a bit of a rainy day... more so than just the weather. I keep running into road blocks with my '91 today so I keep changing tasks on it hoping to just make one more trip into town today. My latest issue was after I put in some new headlights... no high beams. I have low, but no high. All my connections look good as is the underhood fuse.

So, before I start tearing into everything, any simple ideas where I should start? I can't imagine it's anything real as everything worked before I swapped over the wiring harness to its new chassis. Thoughts? Thanks guys.

I finally have an HO Jeep in my possession and sure enough a question pops up when I'm 700 miles away from it. :doh:   sounds like the switch to me too.  does the HO use a long rod and switch like the renix Jeeps?  if so the rod might be misaligned.

Didn't want anyone to find this thread in the future with hopes of finding that ONE THING that just may be wrong with their high beams. Hey, at least I'm honest about it! I could've just let the thread slip away and let everyone wonder!  :fool:

• 7 months later...

i have that problem with my 88. my issue is the plug that goes into the bulb. if you hold it just right the high beams come on but as soon as you let go they go out again. ive been trying to find the right pigtail to replace the originals but not sure which ones are the right ones 

i have that problem with my 88. my issue is the plug that goes into the bulb. if you hold it just right the high beams come on but as soon as you let go they go out again. ive been trying to find the right pigtail to replace the originals but not sure which ones are the right ones 

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-conduct-tite-electrical-sockets-3-wire-terminal-seal-beam-lamp-4002-4005-bulb-85810/5011965-P?searchTerm=headlight+socket#

5011965_dcd_85810_pri_larg.jpg

Since you're in there anyway, it's not a bad idea to upgrade to a relay harness to reduce load on the headlight switch. Prevent it from doing that thing where it gets really hot and then emits incandescent gasses...er... fire. Fire bad.

The upgrade harness is available from a few places (Putco makes one that can be found on amazon but feel free to shop around) or you could build your own like I did, based off this writeup. Both the Putco harness and the diy one plug into one of the original sockets to trigger the relays, but you could always just splice it in directly if were having issues with the socket.