Project: Mitch's Dumb Jeep

Front breaks are all done, I didnt need to remove that stripped bolt after all, which turns out to be some weird star bolt... anyway, I still need to throw the tires on it and do an alignment. Then I got to cut some rust and hopefully go get my inspection sticker.

• 1 month later...

I havent done anything to the truck in a while, but today I got lucky at the junk yard and grabbed a D44 from an 87 Cherokee Pioneer.

Is this a direct bolt on? Or do I need to burn some new perches on it? Anything else I will need?

Yes u will need to burn in new pearches because the comanche springs are wider by like 1-1.5 inches or somthn

think carefuly befor doing it if ur gona do a spring under or over , u don't want to half to do it again later

spring over, I already purchased all the front lift components, I was just waiting to pull a rear axle before putting them on. Now I won't have any excuses. :)

Are you SURE that I have to use new perches for an SOA? this is a trail only truck if it helps.

Also was it comon for these to have limited slip on them?

spring over, I already purchased all the front lift components, I was just waiting to pull a rear axle before putting them on. Now I won't have any excuses. :)

Are you SURE that I have to use new perches for an SOA? this is a trail only truck if it helps.

Also was it comon for these to have limited slip on them?

YES, you need new perches for SOA. and ya need longer and thicker gauge ones to boot. the stock ones create axle wrap.

jumping back a few posts here....that stripped bolt is a 12-point 13mm and there are three of them which hold on the bearing assembly on all Dana 30's. if you try to use anything other than a 12-point 13mm socket, you're gonna strip it. You do not need to remove it to do brake work. You need to remove it to replace the bearing unit, shafts, u-joints, or any work work you're doing inside the pumpkin.

I cleaned up the face a little and removed a bunch of crap... now I have a "custom" MJ, w/ tow front tow hooks. Hope you like it!

I also should have a ton of updating as I work my @$$ off over the next two weeks to get the new rear-end, lift and tires on. As well as some other small stuff - like club requirements, haha!

frontry2.jpg

topfrontrightif5.jpg

frontleftsidequ0.jpg

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since an update.... 3 things have happened:

1. Got pissed at the junkyard and told them to stick D44 up their @$$, so NO D44 - still regret this move.

2. Lift and tires on.

3. I think the front is a little bigger than I origionally wanted.

Hope you like - still lots to do but at least it can be used!

dsci0028si4.jpg

dsci0029tm3.jpg

dsci0030he6.jpg

dsci0026fc6.jpg

well, I don't really know exactly how much lift as I forgot to measure the stock hieght and I bought all used stuff....

I would guess that I am around 6" in the front and 5" in the rear. The tires are 34x10.50x15 LTB's.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, I am pretty excited to take it out.

• 11 months later...

a little update, not much really, hopefully a lot more by the end of the month....

Sorry for the $#!& pics, my BB doesnt like the dark.

Cutting of rust w/ a little paint

jeep.jpg

Secret paint sceme????? :)

grill.jpg

Problem!

liines.jpg

Mitch,

What gears are you running?

If 3:55 I could hook you up with a spare turdy-five non "C" Clip for a good price. New brakes and LOCK-RITE excellent condition. Was in mine before D44 swap.

Go to PM and LMK.

CW

• 1 month later...

Update!

Gas tank had a leak, shocks were maxed out at ride height in the rear and the rear diff cover needed replacing due to rust badly!

In the pics you will see most of that work :) enjoy!

difftj1.th.jpgthpix.gif

holech9.th.jpgthpix.gif

tank2ba6.th.jpgthpix.gif

tankwd9.th.jpgthpix.gif

here's a good one of twisty :)

flexsl9.th.jpgthpix.gif

truckfc5.th.jpgthpix.gif

She works good now, the shocks were relocated but now I drop my drive shaft when I flex - so....

Need to work on my driveshaft

Need to install a new fan - I keep overheating on the trail

and

Need a new passanger door thanks to a very unforgiving tree.

Thanks for the help Tim and John!