Tires And Transmissions?

The only maintenance you would do inside the differential would be to clean out the old gear lube, make sure you get the cover sealed on well when you reinstall it (there's no gasket, it uses RTV), then fill it up to the plug with new gear lube. The factory spec for an '86 was (IIRC) 80W90, but if you want to be nice to the old gears you could go with synthetic 75W140.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only maintenance you would do inside the differential would be to clean out the old gear lube, make sure you get the cover sealed on well when you reinstall it (there's no gasket, it uses RTV), then fill it up to the plug with new gear lube. The factory spec for an '86 was (IIRC) 80W90, but if you want to be nice to the old gears you could go with synthetic 75W140.

80W90?! opps, my owners manual told me 75W90 for the tranny and diff  :doh:

Redwolf

Lol if by good bodywork you mean, getting a new bed (with much less rust), new fenders, and 2x4 for the rockers then yes thanks I did do a good job. :D I really didnt do much body work, it was more like replacement work. ;)

Eh, still counts! Wish i could find a clean bed around here...all of em are beat to hell and back.

I got mine from a fellow member who got it down south

this is what the owners manual says bout the rear end fluid types:

Fluid Type: AMC/Jeep/Renault Gear Lubricant or equivalent SAE 75W-90 API-GL5 grade. Models with Trailer Towing Package or limited slip differential use SAE 80W-140.

now my question is, bein that i have the trailer wirin should i treat it as if it's a limit slip? also i cleaned off the diff cover and found 2 lines of numbers sayin:

009 6

<DANA>

could the 42105 be the same number as on the drive gear? also found out that i have a dana 35 C, it stated that on the diff cover rim :)

Redwolf

Trailer wiring does not indicate a limited slip.

The part number stamped on the outside of the axle is not a good indicator of what gears are inside.

ok well i know i got a open rear end cause i jacked one rear wheel off the ground and could spin it, but bein that it is open and i do have the trailer wirin should i add gear oil as if it was a limited slip like in the manual or just because it has the trailer wirin does that not mean it has the trailer package

Redwolf

You do realize that all the time you have spent talking about and"spekuull'ating" bout your diff ratio .....

you could have pulled the cover off of 17 diffs......redone the bearings.....pinion bearings and seals......put in new axles.....wheel cylinders.....brakes......

but you are no further ahead because you can't get past those 10 little diff cover bolts.......your moma must be so proud   :banana:

The part number stamped on the outside of the axle is not a good indicator of what gears are inside.

ok well i know i got a open rear end cause i jacked one rear wheel off the ground and could spin it, but bein that it is open and i do have the trailer wirin should i add gear oil as if it was a limited slip like in the manual or just because it has the trailer wirin does that not mean it has the trailer package

Redwolf

any vehicle, up to and including a toyota prius, can have a trailer wiring harness. They are extremely simple to add on, and seeing as how you don't have an amc 20, the heavy duty axle used with the towing package, its a very safe assumption that you don't have a trailer package. Again, like the guy above me said, open up your diff, you'll know for sure, then borrow someones car to go to autozone and buy some gear oil. Simple as that, and it'll be done in an hour.

Redwolf

If you plan to tow a trailer, then use the heavier gear lube indicated for the purpose. If you don't plan to tow, there's no need.

However, it never hurts to use the heavier-duty stuff.

Redwolf

any vehicle, up to and including a toyota prius, can have a trailer wiring harness. They are extremely simple to add on, and seeing as how you don't have an amc 20, the heavy duty axle used with the towing package, its a very safe assumption that you don't have a trailer package. Again, like the guy above me said, open up your diff, you'll know for sure, then borrow someones car to go to autozone and buy some gear oil. Simple as that, and it'll be done in an hour.

Redwolf

If you plan to tow a trailer, then use the heavier gear lube indicated for the purpose. If you don't plan to tow, there's no need.

However, it never hurts to use the heavier-duty stuff.

ok, that is all i needed to know bout the gear oil 

You do realize that all the time you have spent talking about and"spekuull'ating" bout your diff ratio .....

you could have pulled the cover off of 17 diffs......redone the bearings.....pinion bearings and seals......put in new axles.....wheel cylinders.....brakes......

but you are no further ahead because you can't get past those 10 little diff cover bolts.......your moma must be so proud   :banana:

yeah i do realize all this time i could have done that but like i said before i am new to the auto part world! i would like to know everything bout what i'm doin before i do it, everything i'm lookin for,

Redwolf

Here is a step by step with pictures....and yes to all the keyboard warriors I know it is not a Comanche.....it is a wrangler.....but it is a Dana 35 and the procedure is the same.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/changing-differential-fluid-with-pics-192304.html

In this one the fellow uses a gasket.....on all mine I use RV silicon that you can buy at the same place you but the diff fluid.....and as Eagle says above.....you can't go wrong putting in a heavier fluid......I run heavy all the time and I am pretty sure my fluid has to work in a little colder conditions up here than were you are

Here is a clip on how to put the RV silicon on

Here is a step by step with pictures....and yes to all the keyboard warriors I know it is not a Comanche.....it is a wrangler.....but it is a Dana 35 and the procedure is the same.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/changing-differential-fluid-with-pics-192304.html

In this one the fellow uses a gasket.....on all mine I use RV silicon that you can buy at the same place you but the diff fluid.....and as Eagle says above.....you can't go wrong putting in a heavier fluid......I run heavy all the time and I am pretty sure my fluid has to work in a little colder conditions up here than were you are

Here is a clip on how to put the RV silicon on

thank's for the links on the dana 35. and i know how to apply RTV, it's all inside my engine where gaskets don't go, i even put a thin coat around where a gasket does go just as an extra gasket so to speak, 

Redwolf

85w140 will be fine in the rear axle, as will 80w90, or even 75w90.

the difference? the 85w140 is slightly thicker cold, and the same hot.

now my question is, bein that i have the trailer wirin should i treat it as if it's a limit slip? also i cleaned off the diff cover and found 2 lines of numbers sayin:

009 6

<DANA>

that is just the part number for the diff cover, nothing to do with gear ratio. now that you've posted a picture ... go look at your axle again.

that's the diff, that i now see looks like the dana 35

Redwolf

See that little metal flap on the upper lefthand bolt? spray that with WD40 and get yer fingers dirty, rub it in and clear the rust and grime ... some numbers and letters will appear. Post those and we can tell you the gear ratio.

009 6

<DANA>

that is just the part number for the diff cover, nothing to do with gear ratio. now that you've posted a picture ... go look at your axle again.

>

Redwolf

See that little metal flap on the upper lefthand bolt? spray that with WD40 and get yer fingers dirty, rub it in and clear the rust and grime ... some numbers and letters will appear. Post those and we can tell you the gear ratio.

Now that you mention that little flap -- notice that it has two holes in it. From the factory, both holes had a cover bolt through them. Someone has had the cover off your differential at least once. It's probably a small miracle that they bothered to put the tag back at all.

009 6

<DANA>

>

Redwolf

i'll get on that tomorrow, gotta find the WD40 first 

009 6

<DANA>

&gt

;

Redwolf

lockquote>

Now that you mention that little flap -- notice that it has two holes in it. From the factory, both holes had a cover bolt through them. Someone has had the cover off your differential at least once. It's probably a small miracle that they bothered to put the tag back at all.

your eyes must be really good, i don't see the 2 holes in the tag unless i don't know what i'm lookin for,

Redwolf

This tag.....and you don't have to use WD 40....use anything....just clean it and read the numbers

ok, well after the grounds dry again i'll clean it off, i'm parked under a tree and it's the middle of a thunderstorm so, longer to find WD-40 or somethin like it :)

Redwolf