My MJ, Fiona .. Slow Build

I started a thread over @ naxja so I just pasted the link here. Pictures are there. 

1987 MJ, started life as a 2.5L/5spd 2wd. Currently has no engine/trans. PO was going to swap in a HUGE AMC 401, then decided against it. Part of the dash is cut out, and interior pretty much gutted. Steering is still hooked up, and has buckets. 
Will eventually get a GM LSx engine. Debating on which route to go with it suspension wise. 

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1102959

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if all goes well I will be picking up a complete running/driving Renix XJ for a low price. If all goes well the MJ will be running/driving sooner than later. 

Debating on what to do about the HVAC system since it's not there meow. I know I can pull it from an XJ, but it seems like a lot more work. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Of course, money is always a necessity when it comes to purchasing items. So, right meow, anything that happens with the MJ will be in late Oct. 

Picking up a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo D44 complete with disc's, stock 4.30 thick cut gears 

Have a few options for low-er cost on drivetrain parts. 

4.0L/NV3550/NP231 from a 2002 TJ complete with harness for about 1500$

89-91 (not sure which) 4.0/AW4/231 (I think) wrecked/rolled XJ, complete -minus rear end for about 750$ - need to find out if front axle is straight and the gearing. 

At this point I want it running and driving sooner than later. Otherwise, I would just wait til I find a deal on an LS engine. Who knows, maybe I will by the time I can afford anything. 

Nice build man. IMHO I'd keep it as simple as possible. And if your using the Rodeo axle with 4.30 gears, keep in mind your gonna still have to re gear it or have some 4.30 gears cut for your front axle.

Hopefully someone else can chime in, but didnt the 200-2003? 4.0HO's have head issues?

Thank you. As it sits, it has the 2wd beam in it. I kinda like the idea of a prerunner. There are a couple companies that make 4.27/4.30 gears for lpD30. I know that hp is more desirable. Maybe I can find a front 44 to match. That would help with the wheel bolt pattern as well. When I get closer to getting it on the road I'll put more thought into it. I've even thought about running a wj 30. Then I would have better brakes and steering. Depending on the casting of the head some had issues.

Nice build man. IMHO I'd keep it as simple as possible. And if your using the Rodeo axle with 4.30 gears, keep in mind your gonna still have to re gear it or have some 4.30 gears cut for your front axle. Hopefully someone else can chime in, but didnt the 200-2003? 4.0HO's have head issues?

• 3 months later...

So, update, I finally found a donor. 1988 XJ. I6, aw4, 231 tcase. Stock axles, vac disco d30 and turdy5.

Also, picking up a Synergy suspension, tb bracket and brace in trade.

I really want manual trans, but if I cannot find one before I swap power train I will leave the aw4.

The plan is to pull the engine/trans and replace most of the gaskets, most likely including the head gasket.

8u2avyze.jpg

Donor and project.

emety4uh.jpg

• 3 months later...

So, ended up not picking up the 'zu 44. I did, however, manage to pick up a FREE MJ D35. Mostly complete, was just missing drums and a few wheel studs. The MJ still has no powertrain in it, so the front sits higher than it will. And the only u-bolts I had are super long, so I had to use blocks. SO the back sits lower than it will, when I get correct bolts/leaf plates. 

2s0nvw8.jpg

As she sits currently. Still a ways off from being a driver, but since she is on 4 wheels now it gives me motivation. 

• 9 months later...

Update, months later.. 

So, this truck still sits as is. But, I picked up another running/driving MJ 4.0L/2WD/5 speed from a friend of mine. Fortunately, he has done a good amount of the work I would have wanted to do. This includes 97+ XJ front header/fenders and doors/mirrors. It will stay 2WD for meow, but I would like to add a 97+ center console. However, I will be getting rid of the utility bed and swapping the regular bed from my prior project. 

I had a D35 (sigh), but the PO to my friend put 4.56 gears in it. Yes I know, ticking time bomb, but I have a C8.25 with 4.56's that I thought about setting up for an SUA MJ for when it goes Boom! Unfortunately it has some lame Ford wheels on it, but the tires are practically new off-brand AT's that I may just switch wheels and run for a while. Otherwise, I can swap my 31's from my other project MJ. 

Debating on what to do with my other MJ and the donor XJ. Might see if I can sell as a bundle. 

dootgh.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qddow7wnvv6lorv/2015-02-06%2016.30.21.jpg?dl=0

2diftbk.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w049zeplvdh4pjd/2015-02-06%2016.30.13.jpg?dl=0

11bn1x2.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ytu1w9n6ze7jgn/2015-02-06%2016.29.58.jpg?dl=0

I like that utility bed. But it doesn't appear to be MJ specific?

I'm guessing it's a universal utility. I don't need it, or really want it. I considered for a moment to make it a trailer, but I have too much stuff/projects as is. Have a few potential buyers at this point. Or might try and sell my other project mj, xj, and the bed as a bundle if one wanted to buy them all. 

Got most of the paperwork taken care of for title transfer/reg. Just have to get it emissions tested and inspected. That will be done early next week. And I will get to drive it it! Also need to find time to pull off the utility bed. And swap the other bed over. 

Went to get my MJ emissions tested on Wed. My friend that I purchased the truck from had a guy that he goes to. Well, he's a d!ck and wouldn't test it due to the newly installed, oe replacement exhaust manifold not having a CARB "EO #".. WTF? Anyways, went to my guy and the manifold is acceptable. But, my MJ was running like crap at this point so was not able to get it tested. Found out that the #4 injector was sticking, actually sounds almost like a vac. leak. I had swapped that out with a "spare" from my donor XJ. It ran a little better, but still needed to be better. 

Between yesterday and today, I did a much needed oil change (Carquest Premium oil and air filters, CQ645 15w-40 Diesel oil),and tune up on her. I used ACD plugs (PN 41-629), CQ 35-6311 plug wires (made by Prestolite, who does a majority of OEM wires and other parts), new dist. cap and rotor (cap had build up on the connectors up top, and the rotor end piece was almost burned up), and I swapped in my older Ford orange top 19lb/hr injectors. 

It runs at least 200% better; idles smoother, no hesitation at all while on the throttle. 

I was going to order up some Taylor wires for my heep. But my cost on the wires was only 15$, and are a good quality replacement. 

Also had replaced the VC gasket, with the nice rubber FelPro gasket. Much easier than the stupid cork gaskets. 

Stupid emissions crap..not in my state! Thank God

Well, this will be the only time I need to do it, unless I sell it. My vehicles are registered in a county that only require testing upon change of ownership. 

Well, this will be the only time I need to do it, unless I sell it. My vehicles are registered in a county that only require testing upon change of ownership.
That's a plus! Keep up the posts!

What? I had no idea that was a thing here. Getting ready to take mine back for round two of smog testing next weekend.

What? I had no idea that was a thing here. Getting ready to take mine back for round two of smog testing next weekend.
In certain counties, guessing more rural, less population only have to smog upon change of ownership. If you go to the dmv site it will give you a general list of counties and a place to enter registered address zip code to tell you what is required smog wise.

Good news, still have my truck. Bad news currently is won't pass the smog sniffer. 

HC is ~300 and CO is ~5%

Already replaced the O2 sensor as well. Kinda at a loss here. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a temp gun to confirm that the CAT is working properly. I'm thinking maybe years of abuse from the PO, and it recently running poorly that the CAT may be fubar? Since this is the only time I have to Smog it I really don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to. I have considered swapping the cat from my donor XJ, but condition of that is unknown also.  

There's a product we "sell" at work in with the other snake oils that guarantees you'll pass emissions tests. I think it's a fuel additive. I use the word "sell" loosely, because there's no emissions testing in this province, or the provinces on either side... so it just sits on the shelf. But I've always wondered what it did or if it worked.

I work at a Carquest Auto Parts, and we sell that "Guaranteed to pass" crap. That is one of the few "snake oils" I do not believe in. 

Did some tinkering the other day, decided to top off with premium fuel and add some acetone to the mix. Runs super clean now!

Was ~25 HC and .1% CO!! Max HC @ idle is 120 and 2500 is 180.

Just need to deal with the DaMnV now. 

There's a product we "sell" at work in with the other snake oils that guarantees you'll pass emissions tests. I think it's a fuel additive. I use the word "sell" loosely, because there's no emissions testing in this province, or the provinces on either side... so it just sits on the shelf. But I've always wondered what it did or if it worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Swapped in a 3/4 gauge cluster and speedo cable. Also swapped in oil sender unit so that the reading is correct. These were from my friend's parts XJ that is sitting in the back of my property. I  still need to swap CTS for gauge. Wish I had a tach, but most other gauges are better than idiot lights. 

• 2 weeks later...

Should be picking up a full gauge cluster, MJ 44 rear with track loc, and a few other parts from a friend soon.

Installed my bored throttle body the other day. She has smoother idle and better throttle response.

Hoping to get exhaust put on it soon. The person who wants to buy/trade my utility bed does exhaust and stocks some spintech mufflers. I have one on my xj with a turndown and I really like it.