My MJ, Fiona .. Slow Build

http://rigshowcase.com/pic.php?u=207TohUw&i=15269

Better wheels on her. These are still temporary since I do not have the utility bed removed or lift on her yet. 

I was able to finally pick up my set of JK Moab wheels the other day. Should have one of my used sets of tires M+B soon. Still need wheel adapters. But, I have my annual Big Bear trip coming up at the beginning of next month. So, that will wait until after that. 

Hopefully by then the utility bed will be off and the factory style bed on. 

The tire size I have for them currently is 265/75/17.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally was able to remove the utility bed from my MJ. It looks like a real MJ again. It's nice to have even better visibility than before. 

Hope those links work. 

Next up is a little bit of body work/paint. And exhaust. Hopefully, I can get the heep weight and finally reg'd.

Slowly been able to gather parts for a 4wd swap. I want to keep it manual, so I am sure that a legit 4WD trans will cost the most of all the parts I need to do the swap. 

Got the MJ weighed and reg'd today. It weighs a whopping 3180 LBS with a 1/4 tank of fuel. It still does not have a rear bumper, and it did not also have a lic. plate light, but the wiring was there, so I just used some connectors to run a led light for the plate for meow.  

Has a 97-up center console. All I need is a 97-up manual shifter boot to complete it. Currently running my 31x10.5 Dueler A/T's for a bit. Sold my 235/75s to my friend.

He will be using them on his DD ranger. Met a guy today, whom works at Poly performance, so I have another connect there. Hopefully get a better deal than what they currently offer on wheel adapters. 

I will post other updates as they progress. It seems to be progressing decently, considering I have been low on funds. 

My friend, whom helped with the utility bed who is also the new owner of it gave some some ZJ coils that were originally on his Barney heep when he got it. I think I will toss those in and see how I like it, Otherwise I have a set of "unknown to me" lift coils in my now parts MJ, those may be slightly taller. I will be leaving the "helper leaf" setup in the truck for now as it does not hinder or affect me DD'ing the MJ. 

• 2 weeks later...

SO, what I thought were helper leafs didn't appear to be doing squat. And one of them was missing! SO I removed them. The U-bolt apparati to keep them snug to the top of the leafs are double-nutted, so those were annoying. Maybe this weekend I will swap coils and LCA's and do a tape measure alignment.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my cig. lighter adapter was not working. Decided to pull it today, since I was removing items from my my parts XJ I had pulled the one from there. First thing I checked was the fuse, and it was intact. So not just some faulty circuit. Then I got out my DVOM and tested the KOEO voltage at the wires for the adapter. I was getting a solid 12V. Plugged my original one back in and tested the circuit again, was only receiving 2V!! It is supper corroded inside. Swapped in the donor piece and and, Voila! 12V. 

I think I want to wire the CLA to battery power and possibly a switch. 

People can say what they wan't, but having lots of spare jeep parts isn't a bad thing. 

• 3 weeks later...

MJ D44 fell through. But I recently picked up a HP D30 non-disco housing form a buddy of mine. 

Today, I found a YJ D30 with a Detroit Tru-trac, 4.56 gears and Warn hub conversion. I will for sure be keeping the gears and TT for my MJ. 

Ordered a new pair of Matching tires to go on my MJ. When I find matching spare/s I will use my almost bald matching Yoko AT-s. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, discovered Thursday eve while at the beach for my girlfriend's bday that the BA10/5 and stock drive shaft are superior to a Turdy5. Got my MJ into some soft stuff and something broke in the Turdy5. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not much of an update, but my truck has been sitting at my buddy's shop. He has been sure busy so it is just sitting there currently. I have also been super busy at work, and that doesn't help much either. 

Hopefully I will have an Exploder 8.8 within the next couple weeks. I will be helping pull it from the vehicle, so I will have everything I need to get from that, including the "companion adapter" for the drive line. 

A friend of mine gave me a pair of leaf perches that he decided not to use. Thankfully, my buddy has a plasma cutter at his shop. That will make life a little easier in cutting all the crap off of the axle housing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled/picked up the 8.8 axle today. Got it over to my buddy's shop. If the tag is correct, which looks like it is; It has 3.73's and limited slip! Was hoping for 4.10s, but better than 3.55s. My understanding is that 3.73's are the most common of the exploder axles. 

Good news, was able to get pretty much all the accessories that I need, brake lines, park brake cables, etc. 

Bad news, driveline was MIA. SO, I either need to get a companion adapter, or a yoke. 

I took a couple pics of the spring brackets, they should work out just fine. Here are the couple pics I took of those. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xgqd97bLbp0PP2NbFW5ndJ1TxJTlanoWPQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zRpQAELYLawmEFxws1Fwr2oTNLXXSA9fwA/view?usp=sharing

Unlike the MJ brackets that have a stud, the shock mount is double shear. Stronger, better? Who knows. But they should work out nice. I will be picking up some new U-bolts from work when it gets closer to setup. Hopefully, in the next couple days after work I can go cut off all the stock mounts and prep the axle for install. Plasma cutter FTW! 

• 2 weeks later...

Picking up a complete WJ D30 with steering and an aftermarket diff cover for relatively inexpensive price. 

I did some quick measuring on parts heeps I have in my back yard as far as front axle mounts WJ vs XJ. The CA mounts look to be in about the same place as the XJ. The coil buckets are mounted a little wider apart, so I would gather that replacing those and maybe an aftermarket trackbar mount should get it to fit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got my truck back today! Did not get any pics while it was on the lift, as my hands were covered in grease. But the Exploder 88 is in! Brakes feel great. Pedal is better than before, probably partially due to the worn out, not-adjusted brake shoes. 

For soft brake line mounting, a bolt was welded to the housing on each side and nuts hold the lines in place. 

The Exploder leaf plates work basically the same as the stock MJ ones. Just the shock "mounts" themselves are different. 

Exploder rear axle in my MJ

https://goo.gl/photos/65ToY6Dmyiu7Sk2c6

Driver side, can see how the spring plate functions. 

https://goo.gl/photos/ZeDgrgbNh7pMVTSj7

Pass. side. 

https://goo.gl/photos/aMLsTVF6gNgucQfF7

Failed, rusty muffler. 

https://goo.gl/photos/o2dSPgEhLNceL6X29

Was not sure before what exactly was rattling. Figured it was either the cat or the muffler or both. After closer inspection, the cat looks to be good inside, the muffler, not so much. Debating on whether or not to just run a muffler with a turndown style exit. Or, chop the muffler off from the rest of the exhaust, cut out the rusty end of the tail pipe and maybe run some kind of stainless tip. 

Interestingly, with cat only is not as loud as my XJ was when I removed exhaust. But I think that the inside of my XJ cat was busted up inside. 

I ordered a single driver side ZJ park brake cable from work, should be in tomorrow. After I install it and attempt to adjust the park brake, I will see how it works with the super long Exploder passenger side cable. If it works decent I will just leave it, other wise I will buy another cable. The driver and pass side ZJ cables are the same length. The only difference I have maybe noticed from the pics is that the mounting bracket on the cables is opposite. I will buy another driver side as they are a few $ cheaper than the pass side for whatever reason. 

So, not sure if I ever posted the fact that my driver side engine mount is busted (big surprise, right?). The passenger side is not far behind. Especially when there are reasonably priced upgrades, I do not like just buying "OE replacement" junk. Let's face it, the design of the factory engine and trans mount are not great.

Stinky Fab Racing, whom of which is a vendor over at Naxja had a sale on their products. I have been meaning to upgrade anyways, and this pushed me to do it even more. Ordered on Friday the 11th, they were at my house today when I arrived home from work. 

They look amazing, and they arrive bare metal. SO I cleaned them up a bit, hit them with some primer, and have started the first coat of paint. These are the first items on my MJ that are orange. Other components will follow. 

https://goo.gl/photos/H1A9Vk9RThkE1BgD8

https://goo.gl/photos/BmYY6MB867HfM2Uq6

First 2 are new out of the shipping box. 

https://goo.gl/photos/Lt7UoCK1GZCGfVWH6

Primer

https://goo.gl/photos/MJijwmAMCgsspdmn7

First coat of paint. 

I will do at least another coat, let them dry overnight, and then install them when I get home from work tomorrow evening. 

Not sure if it is noted on their site or NAXJA vendor thread. 

But I will say it here. 

If you plan on installing the SFR (Stinky Fab Racing) Engine mounts only, with stock engine brackets. Prepare to modify the driver side bracket. I was fighting with it for a while last night, and realized, because the bushings are large that the inner lip just beyond the mounting holes get in the way. I just ground them down with bench grinder because that is what I had available. Did not take long and was easy enough after that. 

• 2 weeks later...

My exhaust guy does not have any more Spintech mufflers, and did not have any magnaflow mufflers in stock that I wanted. So, the search had continued until now. 

Ended up ordering a maggy glasspack muffler.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YIWIWM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Hopefully, I will get around to installing it in the next couple days, after I receive it tomorrow. 

It was inexpensive enough that if I decide to run something else, it's all right. 

Also, ordered a new Moog trackbar bushing for the No-name adjustable track bar that I got for a good price. I just need to get the correct heim-mis spacers to work with my Synergy TB bracket. Also, going to pick up some some GR8 hardware for the TB bracket brace. 

Turns out the cat was bad. Bunch of stuff came out the back when I was cutting it off, and it rattles inside. For the time being, before I can replace it after payday, I have a test pipe and magnaflow glass pack on it. A bit quieter, and sounds better than it was. 

Also, placed an order for am FK 3/4" RH thread heim, jam nut, and correct width high-mis spacers to run my new to me trackbar with my Synergy track bar bracket and brace. Need to pic up some hardware for the TB brace. 

Picked up all the remaining pieces for my adjustable track bar setup. Have a few different sets of lift coils to decide what to run in my MJ. I will relocate my hard brake lines for more travel for sure. Then figure out if I need extra length. I have a set of custom square tube LCA's in my parts MJ. I will swap those in, hoping to pick up a set of adjustable uppers. 

I have a set of JKUR shocks. I'll run the fronts for meow. Truck is still only 2WD, so no worries about front drive line issues. 

• 2 weeks later...