Wothless First Gear?

Hey y'all I was driving my Comanche for the first time since I bought it way back in March. I'm new to manuals and when I was driving around town today, it seemed as if by the time I got moving I was already needing to shift into second.  I was just wondering if this is because I am giving to much gas right off the bat or if thats normal or what? Also is it okay to start in second? Or is that a no-no? lol

'92 ax15 with 3.07 and 29's

-Zack

That's funny, I was just talking to my brother today about how worthless first gear is without a load. You can start in second, the 4.0 is more than capable of it, as long as your not on a hill. Honestly, I think first gear is really reserved for towing and heavy loads, just to get you going. 

I use first just to get moving off a stop during daily driving and have usually shifted to 2nd before I clear even a residential intersection. With a 2.5 my rig needs all the help it can get just to get out of its own way.

There will be those that will disagree with some of what I'm about say but that's OK.  The AX15's 1st gear ISN'T a granny gear.  It's there for a purpose, use it. Your clutch will last decidedly longer.  If you have a shift light on the dash, pull the bulb and throw it away!!! Even around town you shouldn't be shifting to the next gear until at least 3500rpm's.  That keeps the rpms at or above 2000 when you hit the next gear.  Don't be afraid to rev the 4.0!! It lives on rpms!  My '97 TJ has 196,000 miles on the original clutch and still works fine. I have put 90,000 miles on my '89 MJ since I got it and it still has the same clutch even after the engine rebuild.  Just my 2 cents worth.  :)

I know its there for a perpose, but I just feel like that as soon as I get rolling it wants to go to the second gear, like 10/15 mph. lol It does have the shift light still but I was looking at and I think thats set up for fuel economy.  & I agree with the two above posts on how I little first gear works for me.

I'm still learning how to dive manual 'decently'. So any advice from you all thats been doing it for a few years?

I still get the jerky acceleration once and awhile which Ive heard is from letting the clutch out too fast is this correct?

That's funny, I was just talking to my brother today about how worthless first gear is without a load. You can start in second, the 4.0 is more than capable of it, as long as your not on a hill. Honestly, I think first gear is really reserved for towing and heavy loads, just to get you going. 

With 3.07 gears? Yeah start in second if you really enjoy replacing clutches.

First gear is there for a reason. Use it. Especially with 3.07 gears.

I trust your wisdom Eagle, I will not start in second! & I think I have 3.07?? It's still the factory gearing for the Terdy5.

Yup, the jerky start is often the result of letting the clutch out wrong/too fast at too low an rpm or in too high a gear.  Here's a little 'exercise' to help learn to use the clutch.  In an empty parking lot or back road, put it in 1st gear, keep your foot totally off the gas and practice starting without touching the gas.  It's slow but it helps you learn the feel of the clutch engaging. 

1st gear too deep??  With 3.07's and 29's you can hit 55mph in 1st gear before you hit the engine rpm redline!!!!!  :P

Yup, the jerky start is often the result of letting the clutch out wrong/too fast at too low an rpm or in too high a gear.  Here's a little 'exercise' to help learn to use the clutch.  In an empty parking lot or back road, put it in 1st gear, keep your foot totally off the gas and practice starting without touching the gas.  It's slow but it helps you learn the feel of the clutch engaging. 

1st gear too deep??  With 3.07's and 29's you can hit 55mph in 1st gear before you hit the engine rpm redline!!!!!  :P

Thanks man, I will try it! And I never said that hahaha but I sure don't want to test that in my truck!

My '74 J10 with a 3spd wanted to get out of 1st ASAP as well, as-in halfway through a turn at an intersection. You'll get use to driving it with time and figure out just what it likes the more you drive it. I'm with Eagle though, don't start in second unless you feel like changing a clutch is just a good activity for slow weekends.

Easy, I didn't recommend it, I just said it would do it on flat ground and no load. 

They're trucks. Trucks are meant to work. 1st gear is there for a reason. Since the majority of MJ'S on the road today are 'Pavement Queens' and not work trucks they don't need the truck parts but since they're there, use 'em. . :MJ 1: .

First gear gets the truck rolling period.
If I can get away with a California stop, very very nearly stopped, but still rolling just a little bit, I use 2nd to go.
Probably 100 to 200 rpm 4.0 pulls right of the basement and goes....

I watched where I normally shifted today with my 4-speed equipped 2.5 on my way to work coming off a light. Since I have no tach, this is in mph:

1st - 2nd: 10

2nd - 3rd: 25

3rd - 4th: 35

I know I can rev higher, but I drive like a granny these days for fuel economy. I'm not going to win many races with my driving style in the MJ.

I think progressive when I shift, just like I used to do on an 18 wheeler,

Each gear you go a little higher rpm before you shift.

So 1-2 +/- 5

2-3 12

3-4 30

4-5 50

these are just examples of how progressive shifting works.

Or you could say 1-2 900 rpm

2-3 1300 rpm

3-4 1900 rpm

you get the idea....progressive.

So 1-2 +/- 5

2-3 12

3-4 30

4-5 50

2-3 1300 rpm

3-4 1900 rpm

Why would you do that? Upshifting at those low RPMs means slipping the clutch for every shift. You should only slip the clutch when starting in first gear from a standstill.

The sweet spot for upshifting a Renix 4.0L is 2200 to 2300 RPM. For an HO it's about 2500 RPM.

So 1-2 +/- 5

2-3 12

3-4 30

4-5 50

2-3 1300 rpm

3-4 1900 rpm

Not by any means actual rpm or speed values.

No, you can't. With 3.07 and 29s my 94 XJ bounced off the rev limiter at 55 in 2nd gear.

With stock tires, in 4th gear (1:1 ratio) 55 MPH is 2054 RPM. I don't have the BA 10/5 manual handy but I have the 2000 XJ manual next to my desk. 1st gear ratio for the AX-5 is 3.93:1, and we can probably assume the AX-15 and BA 10/5 aren't very far off. Crunching the numbers, 2054 x 3.93 = 8072 RPM. So ... no, we can't hit 55 MPH in first gear.

Using 5000 RPM as the redline, 1st gear would actually top out at 34 MPH.

Actually, AX-15's 1st is 3.83.  The AX-4/5 are 3.93.

And the BA 10/5 is 3.39, so it's a significant difference.

I didn't realize the BA 10.5 had such a high first gear. Okay ...

With the AX-15, 5000 RPM in first would get us up to 35 MPH.

The BA 10/5 would get us all the way up to 39 MPH. (Still a wee bit shy of 55)